• Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Maybe this time, they'll add in protection for the pilings
    My bestie was in law school in Balt 25+ _ years ago, The other day she said back then she was doing summer intern work for Marylands Dept of the Environment. The State had proposed that dolphins be installed on Key bridge and The Dept of The Environment nixed the project with it being to harmful to the environment.
    Now Look...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My bestie was in law school in Balt 25+ _ years ago, The other day she said back then she was doing summer intern work for Marylands Dept of the Environment. The State had proposed that dolphins be installed on Key bridge and The Dept of The Environment nixed the project with it being to harmful to the environment.
    Now Look...
    WTF would dolphins do?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Against a ship that large, has it been proven that the dolphins would actually deflect enough energy? Or would they themselves simply be pushed into the pilings leading to the same result?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Even if they only slow it down, it might save the bridge
    That bridge? I don't think so. It was never meant to have the base structurally turned or shoved and is a reason why we don't really build bridges like that anymore. It's like a card house, all the strength in it is in one direction. Change that direction and it comes collapsing down like, well, its called a house of cards for a reason.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Keep in mind that you're looking at a particular perspective/angle that exacerbates the appearance of the turn of the vessel. Look at the map of vessel track. It's not actually that also extreme.

Also, consider that the vessel was not under power during most of these movements. It lost power, started drifting. The emergency generator apparently came on, but the shift lost power again. So, for it would be a deliberate attack, that would be very, very difficult to pull off.
    Dali 1.png

Top Bottom