• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Key (heh) points: Small channels open north snd south of blocked main channel. May have main channel partially open by end of April, fully cleared by end of May.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I remember seeing the 2 forward generators on the USS John F. Kennedy. They were 3 decks tall and impressive. I would assume they had more generators elsewhere because it was a war ship with multiple redundancies. Very meticulously maintained.

The JFK was "only" 90,000 tons so significantly smaller than a cargo ship but again as a ship of the line had more systems as backup.

Was in the September 1976 crash between the carrier and the USS Bordelon. Actually in the hangar bay and watched it happen. Led to a very fun 12 hrs of GQ locked in the MARDET.

Don

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Hmmm should I get my tinfoil hat out?

Probably not. Loss of propulsion in the shipping industry seems to be not all that rare. Most of the time they wallow around until they get it reestablished. Sometimes they bump into things. Occasionally they bump into something really spectacularly.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Seriously
    How about waiting for an investigation?

We have ZERO info here.

Shipping DOES have problems.
    Navy ships with all their redundancy and a MUCH larger crews have problems.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No no no. Back the truck up. I was told here on INGO, wait, this very thread, this was nothing but an accident, nothing to see here....
    That just means they're investigating, doesn't say anything about whether it was an accident or not. Additionally, their investigation is into whether the ship left the port knowing it had issues.

I'll further go out on a limb here and guess that they knew there were issues but didn't expect the issues to result in a catastrophic crash.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Anyone know if this guy has an alibi?

iu

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    There’s a new channel opened that’s shallow(er) but allows smaller vessels to get in and out of the harbor.

Chart of channel here:

I was dragging my feet on this idea whether it would work or not, but couldn't they bring in a couple subs, brop to the bottom, rigg to the trellis, surface the sub and move monster pieces out of the way? Sounds crazy but might speed things up. I though they'd have stuff moved in a week. Wishful thinking when it comes to government contracts with large sums of money.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Even if they only slow it down, it might save the bridge
    Me and the gf were watching some movie where barge more or less did the same damage as this bidge got. In the move, only the section of bridge fell, the rest stayed in place. Guess the movies got the damage for effects wrong...

Top Bottom