• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Another thought - this is somewhat more tenuous, in a regulatory sense, than the bumpstocks. It seems to me that a revisit to the centerfire/lands-and-grooves question could make this a "rifle" PDQ.

To me, the lands and grooves are the... wait for it... rifling that make a rifle a rifle. That they are straight just means that it is sucky rifling. Has the actual ATF letter been released yet?

Something tells me they are relying on a pretty specific definition of "rifling"...not without precedent:

The term “rifled” is derived from the verb “to rifle,” which means “to cut spiral grooves into the bore of (as a firearm or piece of ordnance).” Webster's Third New International Dictionary 1954 (1986). 8

FN8 The grooves of a rifled bore cause the bullet or projectile to rotate and thus increase the accuracy of the shot.
    U.S. v. Meadows, 91 F.3d 851, 856 (7th Cir. 1996), ​emphasis added.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Franklin Armory's Reformation Revealed | RECOIL

Whoa. This is really odd.

So it isn't smoothbore, because it has lands and grooves, but they are straight? That's odd.

ETA:
    This is a hard pass from me. The article says 3-4 MOA with ordinary ammo. Only good at pistol distances. Maybe a proprietary ammo in the future that will impart spin. (Also noticed the muzzle device is cut to maybe impart a little spin.

This really looks like a novelty now. IMHO.

Remember that guy who said it wasn't the trigger? Who was that again?

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Fitting ending for this thread:

[video=youtube_share;tKdcjJoXeEY]http://youtu.be/tKdcjJoXeEY[/video]

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Just ...:rolleyes: Listening to the details

[video=youtube_share;TvtBbGYwOHA]http://youtu.be/TvtBbGYwOHA[/video]

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Just watched TFBs video on it and man that franklin armory guy needs fired probably the worst industry rep i have ever seen :n00b:

I like how he said 4 moa at 50 yards then it changed to 5 moa then to 4 or 5 moa. I like them finding ways to troll the ATF but i wont be buying one.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ruminating on the 3/4/5 MOA issue. Let's say the average shooter is a 2 MOA shot to begin with. At that point, the actual variance of any given shot is more like 4-6 MOA (and that's being conservative).

Like the Hitler video pointed out, this is a breakthrough in 300 year old technology.

I wonder if it started as a joke by the engineering people. "Hey, wouldn't be hilarious if we made the rifling on this totally straight!"

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I think Hastings used to offer shotgun bbls w straight grooves for shot usage...........called Wadlock.
    What you guys want to call this new item...................have at it LOL

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Apparently according to Mike Searson at RecoilWeb.com........the rifling in your handgun barrel does not impart spin on the bullet! :n00b: :dunno: So that makes the Reformation OK...It's just like a handgun!

"Those of us who are rifle shooters know that the system of lands and grooves within a rifle’s barrel make our projectiles faster and more accurate. Longer or heavier bullets crave a faster twist rate for stabilization in flight.
    Franklin’s Reformation does not offer this.
    Neither does your handgun"

Franklin Armory's Reformation Revealed | RECOIL

Well, I guess all those companies who are putting rifling in their handgun barrels are wasting their money and time.

OR

You are making crap up trying to support a ridiculous idea that steps backward in firearm technology hundreds of years because that company paid a lot of money for a good review.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Too bad it's expensive. Should buy about a million of these (and their clone competitors) and make it a "commonly used" firearm...

Top Bottom