• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Have sold a couple of guns to total strangers, but that was consignment at LGS or Gunbroker.

Sold two to people I did not know. LTCH and we knew common folk, so character was good.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Trader Paper...............30 yrs ago.
    Wild goose chase to find motorcycle in Southern IN.

Bud wanted me to tag along, had nothing to do. Neither of us armed.
    Never found the bike...........never went shopping again without sidearm.

20 yrs ago bought a wrecked Jeep in some burg, guy was cool, deal was struck.
    On pick up day he was late, and arrived rather mental.

Buddy and I were both armed, everything smoothed out when that was mentioned.

I used to like the Trader paper. Bought one of my first shotguns (Ithaca Model 37) and first .22 (Mossberg 44 US) out of that paper back in the early 70's. :)

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Always check the person out on mycase.in.gov and take the name they give you and search social media to see if they look sketchy or not.

Sorry, I won't deal with anyone who doesn't give me a name before hand that I can look up criminal records for or to see if they're idiots on Facebook.

I thought that was what a LTCH, was for .....

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    ahhh the Trader. I remember buying a new one every week and reading in HS in the late 80's.

Has anyone thought of meeting up for a gun sale at a LSG? Would you think a LGS would allow that? Or is it or would it be allowed to go to the local PD and conduct your business? I have never bought or sold a gun to a stranger, but I do understand the dangers one could face. I have bought a handfull of things off Craigslist. If the item is small I meet in a gas station parking lot. Lots of people going in and out. I have went to businesses and houses to buy mowers and larger stuff. Head on a swivel as I go. -Jason

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    ahhh the Trader. I remember buying a new one every week and reading in HS in the late 80's.

Has anyone thought of meeting up for a gun sale at a LSG? Would you think a LGS would allow that? Or is it or would it be allowed to go to the local PD and conduct your business? I have never bought or sold a gun to a stranger, but I do understand the dangers one could face. I have bought a handfull of things off Craigslist. If the item is small I meet in a gas station parking lot. Lots of people going in and out. I have went to businesses and houses to buy mowers and larger stuff. Head on a swivel as I go. -Jason

My guess is that if you do your business inside the LGS, they would want a transfer fee (depending on the shop of course). You are doing business inside their business. If you stuck to the parking lot, I would think there wouldn't be any problems, as long as you weren't right outside their doors... ;)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Local PD station is right up the road...so when I am Craiglisting or just trading in general, we always meet in the parking lot across the street from the PD...keeps everyone calm and hopefully honest.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I have met with people from here and arms list. I've had a couple back out but no bad deals. I do however tell them upfront I will need a ltc and license. I also meet in big parking lots and at my firehouse. A cop buddy tagging along never hurts either.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    I like to meet at sporting goods store lots. Always have wife name and phone who I am meeting. Always text lic plate when I see the vehicle. Call home as soon as business concluded

SwiftStorm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Kokomo
    This is all sound advise. I also try to be alert and use general common sense. If I take a second person with me, I usually tell the other party so they are not to be nervous. Daylight and obviously a public place.

sunman88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2016
    Eastern Indiana
    I agree with a lot of the stuff in this thread.

Usually have someone else with me, in the car or in their car watching. Also tell a friend/family member where I'm going, and how long I'll be gone, etc.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Has anyone thought of meeting up for a gun sale at a LSG? Would you think a LGS would allow that? Or is it or would it be allowed to go to the local PD and conduct your business?
    PD, maybe: call them and ask if it's ok. Some will encourage it as a safe way to conduct such a sale, other would condemn it. I'm sure each is different.

Gun-Shop: same goes for them. Some may allow it but call and ask them first. I have had 1 instance where I bought a private party gun at a gun-shop. I was there, a gentleman came in to put a few guns on consignment, the deal wasn't yet struck with the dealer, and the guns were still in the possession of the rightful owner. I spoke up that I was interested in one of them. FFL said, "step outside the door to make the deal and I'm ok with it". So we both stepped out, I handed over cash, and he handed over the gun and went back inside to put the rest of his guns on consignment.

Top Bottom