• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bmr23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Someone posted a couple days ago that there is a free course given by the DNR that meets the qualifications for some of the out of state LTCH permits, such as Florida. Can someone tell me where I can find more info about this?:)

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Just took a look at it. Do yo have to pay the 20 bucks to complete it and get your certificate or do you pay the 20 if you want to get your lic to hunt?

I think I might have done this course (or a course like it). You don't have to pay to do the course (& get the knowledge for your own benefit), but you'll have to pay to get proof that you did. I don't think this gets you the license to hunt.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Looks like you still need to pay for your certificate, even though the course itself is free. You license would be extra as well.

Cheaper than paying for the full class.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I could be mistaken, but this is not going to help get a permit to carry a handgun or whatever said state labels it. This is actually required of anyone under 18 before they can buy a HUNTING license. It actually may be 16 here, not sure...

The Indiana DNR's Hunter's Education Courses DO qualify for the Arizona non-resident carry license/permit.

Not Utah's.

Don't know about Florida's or Pennsylvania's.

-J-

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    I could be mistaken, but this is not going to help get a permit to carry a handgun or whatever said state labels it. This is actually required of anyone under 18 before they can buy a HUNTING license. It actually may be 16 here, not sure...
    Not true. Copied from the AZ department of Public Safety website. "N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following: 1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.
    2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state."

That means the DNR hunters education course makes you eligible for the AZ CCW permit.

Indy_guy_77 beat me to it. Had to make sure what i heard about it being an approved class.

Bmr23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks everyone, I plan to use this for the AZ CCW permit (in order to get reciprocity in Ohio) do I just go to the DNR website to find out details of when the class is offered?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Why wait take it online now at my.Hunter-Ed.com: Get Your Hunting Certification with the Indiana Course got that link right off the IDNR webpage.
    Again, I may be mistaken....I just read the AZ page and what I am getting from it is that there needs to be actual proficiency testing in the course taken so I doubt the online class will work. Like I said, I could be way off but the AZ page sort of contradicts itself in that it mentions "training and testing" a couple times but also mentions courses that don't require it....
    http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03112.htm

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    Again, I may be mistaken....I just read the AZ page and what I am getting from it is that there needs to be actual proficiency testing in the course taken so I doubt the online class will work. Like I said, I could be way off but the AZ page sort of contradicts itself in that it mentions "training and testing" a couple times but also mentions courses that don't require it....
    Arizona Revised Statutes - Arizona Department of Public Safety

The azdps website states Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state. No where on that page does it have the words "training and testing." The closest thing to that is and i quote " Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association."

:ranton:
    i know im new and you've been around for awhile but try to keep quotes in quotation marks and paraphrasing out of them. :D

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    The azdps website states Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state. No where on that page does it have the words "training and testing." The closest thing to that is and i quote " Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association."

:ranton:
    i know im new and you've been around for awhile but try to keep quotes in quotation marks and paraphrasing out of them. :D
    Seniority doesn't matter here, we're all equal (some are just a bit more equal than others).
    6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.
    I suspect that if one were to contact the state of AZ they would find training to require competency testing in the spirit of the law or in some legalese we aren't getting from reading code.

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    Maybe The way i read it is that if your trying to use current permit/license from a state that does require training or testing to be issued a permit/license. Indiana is a shall issue state without training or testing to be issued a license. But if you have a Utah permit you have a permit that required you to take a class to receive that permit. So you can receive the AZ permit with proof of your UT permit.

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    Unless you need the class right away, save the $20 and take Hunter Safety live. I am hosting a class in LaGrange April 13-14. There is no comparison between an online session and live instructors and interaction in the classroom.

To clarify some of the assumptions others have stated; there is no age limit or charge for taking the class. Passing the class in Indiana allows you to purchase a hunting license. It is required for anyone born after 1986. I don't know the details about how this class might apply in other states, but others here seem to be addressing that aspect well.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Unless you need the class right away, save the $20 and take Hunter Safety live. I am hosting a class in LaGrange April 13-14. There is no comparison between an online session and live instructors and interaction in the classroom.

Would you mind elaborating? I thought about doing a course in person, too, but the time commitment (class hours, driving, and the expenses) made me think twice. I'm pretty good at absorbing book material. You throw me a book and I'll be able to soak it up. But practical stuff is another matter. Is there hands-on training in the in-person course?

Thanks.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hunters Ed next week in Howard County, might be filled up already though.

Online allows a pre test (or used to anyway). When you go for the real deal they charge you. If you fail you have to pay to try again (when going for certification).

Worded a bit tougher online, think due to folks cheating.

Live class allows questions, and face to face works better for some people. Think the test probably easier too.

For free, definitely worth going. Heck even if they charged for the live class it's pretty cool.

Some courses have "hands on"/ range time. The Howard Co class does not. Those that do are pretty basic, I don't see how they'd make for anything special (unless somebody is taking the class and never owned a gun before- maybe a few like that).

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    bingley, to fill in more details, the time commitment is significant. The state requires 10 hours of classroom instruction. Our class does not get any range time, though some are able to do so.

We do lots of role play to model safe firearms handling. We use real arms to learn how the different types of actions work for safe loading and unloading, both hand guns and long guns.

The majority of the students are young people, but even experienced hunters and gun users can learn something from the curriculum. I certainly did. I hope this helps.

Can someone else sum up for us how the Indiana curriculum helps us qualify for hunting and carry privileges in other states?

Top Bottom