• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Medium freeze dryer tray holds 18 scrambled eggs. I’ve done about 432 eggs so far.
    Yessir, just put 6 dozen up yesterday. This is the first time I've done eggs but we're getting near two dozen a day so I've got to start doing something with them. Thinking about pickling some as well.
    eCkjvB9h.jpg

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Those numbers for eggs seem right. We did 60 eggs in our five tray medium and I believe I could have got more in there. Raw and then powdered.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Yessir, just put 6 dozen up yesterday. This is the first time I've done eggs but we're getting near two dozen a day so I've got to start doing something with them. Thinking about pickling some as well.
    eCkjvB9h.jpg
    We did ours this way for short term, but vacuum sealed them and reseal after use. I have never tried it, but I have read about preserving raw eggs in lime water. As I understand it, basically a layer of pickling lime in a container, then eggs, lime, then eggs etc. fill it with water. Supposedly good for up to a year this way. The guy I watched do it used pickling lime from rural king to do it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We did ours this way for short term, but vacuum sealed them and reseal after use. I have never tried it, but I have read about preserving raw eggs in lime water. As I understand it, basically a layer of pickling lime in a container, then eggs, lime, then eggs etc. fill it with water. Supposedly good for up to a year this way. The guy I watched do it used pickling lime from rural king to do it.
    I've done some research on water glassing but I don't have much room for storage so for raw eggs I think freeze drying is the way to go. I may try pickling some eggs, ran the idea past the wife and she's not opposed to giving it a shot.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Just to prevent misunderstandings, they did upsize the medium freeze dryer recently? Maybe that is the difference? :dunno:

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Just to prevent misunderstandings, they did upsize the medium freeze dryer recently? Maybe that is the difference? :dunno:
    We got 60 in our medium, it is a new model. I could have got more, at least a dozen more I think. Talking raw eggs. The hard part is not spilling them when you put them in the dryer!

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    We got 60 in our medium, it is a new model. I could have got more, at least a dozen more I think. Talking raw eggs. The hard part is not spilling them when you put them in the dryer!
    I read where the medium size changed from the older ones ? We had one from 2016 that had 4 trays ( new ones have 5 ? )
    But we could always get 4 cups ( around 18 eggs) per tray . 6 dozen per load .
    We would always crack enough eggs to reach the 4 cup mark in a mixing bowl , then blend to scramble , put your empty trays in the machine first and pour from the mixing container ( no spilling )
    We have done 100`s of dozens .....never pre-froze either .

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I read where the medium size changed from the older ones ? We had one from 2016 that had 4 trays ( new ones have 5 ? )
    But we could always get 4 cups ( around 18 eggs) per tray . 6 dozen per load .
    We would always crack enough eggs to reach the 4 cup mark in a mixing bowl , then blend to scramble , put your empty trays in the machine first and pour from the mixing container ( no spilling )
    We have done 100`s of dozens .....never pre-froze either .
    Yeah the new ones have five trays. I am sure you are right about the number of eggs per tray. I definitely had room for more, but only had 60 eggs. We didn’t freeze them before either. I have seen people freeze the raw eggs in ziplock bags and then cut the bags off of the eggs and put the frozen blocks in the trays to get more. I was worried about being too thick to freeze dry properly.

definitely pouring directly into the trays in the machine is the way to go if you don’t freeze them first.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom