• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Eggs will be a big thing we do, since we have chickens. You can do cooked eggs or raw eggs. The raw eggs you can powder up and, after adding water, use pretty much as you would use a fresh egg. That is my current level of understanding right now at least. We will do a lot of eggs here. Ice cream is another.
    I just know how much those #10 cans of egg powder cost and it’s pretty insane. It would be great to be able to produce my own.

The girlfriend and I built a nice chicken tractor last year that will hold 8 to 10 chickens. We won’t possibly be able to use all of the eggs coming out.

This machine looks like a great way to utilize and save all of them.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I just know how much those #10 cans of egg powder cost and it’s pretty insane. It would be great to be able to produce my own.

The girlfriend and I built a nice chicken tractor last year that will hold 8 to 10 chickens. We won’t possibly be able to use all of the eggs coming out.

This machine looks like a great way to utilize and save all of them.
    Google "glassing eggs"
    That is usefull as well.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Yep glassing works. We have tried using pickling lime too, and that seems to works. Only a few months in for us, but they claim a year or more using the lime method or glassing.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Haven’t done raw eggs yet, since my 16 birds have really slacked off this winter, but I’ve done several loads of scrambled egg skillets; just add boiling water.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    We ordered ours online, be prepared, they are expensive! It will be delivered Thursday. I didn’t know it when we ordered, but there is a brewery supply store behind the mall in terre haute that sells them. They have freeze dryers, supplies, knife sharpeners, Mylar bags, etc.
    You can also buy them from TSC, and Home Depot.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    We ordered ours online, be prepared, they are expensive! It will be delivered Thursday. I didn’t know it when we ordered, but there is a brewery supply store behind the mall in terre haute that sells them. They have freeze dryers, supplies, knife sharpeners, Mylar bags, etc.
    I had no idea, thank you, I will have to check out the Brewery Supply store.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Great store and ownership team. Eclectic shop. Whisky, beer, coffee, tee, knife sharpening and muzzleloading stuff. Ex army officer runs it...I think.

I recommend it for anyone near Terre Haute with some time.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Great store and ownership team. Eclectic shop. Whisky, beer, coffee, tee, knife sharpening and muzzleloading stuff. Ex army officer runs it...I think.

I recommend it for anyone near Terre Haute with some time.
    Yes, I shop there. He goes by Lt. Dan, believe he did 20 years in the Army. They use most everything they sell so they know their products well. They also have firearms, Benchmade knives and plan to get Spyderco also IIRC.

Can order freeze dryers direct through them and as a supplier, they get them much quicker than an individual ordering direct from Harvest Host.

For You Brewing Supplies
    503 W Honey Creek Pkwy, Terre Haute, IN 47802

YouTube channel

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Yes, I shop there. He goes by Lt. Dan, believe he did 20 years in the Army. They use most everything they sell so they know their products well. They also have firearms, Benchmade knives and plan to get Spyderco also IIRC.

Can order freeze dryers direct through them and as a supplier, they get them much quicker than an individual ordering direct from Harvest Host.

For You Brewing Supplies
    503 W Honey Creek Pkwy, Terre Haute, IN 47802

YouTube channel

Went to the store today. Bought some freeze dryer supplies, a wicked edge knife sharpener, and some gunpowder. Lt Dan is a nice guy, we talked for quite a while.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    It came in Thursday. Haven’t got it set up yet, it weighs somewhere around 120 pounds and I am still recovering from hip replacement surgery and can’t lift yet. The wife and my daughter can’t lift it to table in the basement where it will go. My oldest son is coming over this weekend to help us lift it up. Then the fun can begin! Hip replacement sucks, I can’t do most things yet that I can usually do!

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    It came in Thursday. Haven’t got it set up yet, it weighs somewhere around 120 pounds and I am still recovering from hip replacement surgery and can’t lift yet. The wife and my daughter can’t lift it to table in the basement where it will go. My oldest son is coming over this weekend to help us lift it up. Then the fun can begin! Hip replacement sucks, I can’t do most things yet that I can usually do!
    Any luck getting that freeze dryer lifted into place? Run your bread yet?

I got 400 1.2 oz turkey breast sticks for $10 from the Amish scratch and dent store.

I’ve been eating them, feeding them to the dogs for treats, and have ran two loads in the freeze dryer.

Attachments

• IMG_7404.jpeg
      IMG_7404.jpeg
      419 KB · Views: 6

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Any luck getting that freeze dryer lifted into place? Run your bread yet?

I got 400 1.2 oz turkey breast sticks for $10 from the Amish scratch and dent store.

I’ve been eating them, feeding them to the dogs for treats, and have ran two loads in the freeze dryer.
    Yep my son came over and lifted it up there onto the table we will be using it on. The bread is in it now as we speak. I think tomorrow our first real batch will be some onions and carrots. My mom bought a bunch of them off of a truck in town. We will slice the carrots up and use them in soups and stews. The onions we plan on grinding Up into onion powder.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Yep my son came over and lifted it up there onto the table we will be using it on. The bread is in it now as we speak. I think tomorrow our first real batch will be some onions and carrots. My mom bought a bunch of them off of a truck in town. We will slice the carrots up and use them in soups and stews. The onions we plan on grinding Up into onion powder.
    I haven’t done onion or garlic powder yet, concerned about shelf stability, absorbing moisture. I think store bought powders are dehydrated not freeze dried.

Let me know how it goes.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I haven’t done onion or garlic powder yet, concerned about shelf stability, absorbing moisture. I think store bought powders are dehydrated not freeze dried.

Let me know how it goes.
    Not sure how it will turn out. We are definitely as green as it gets to freeze drying right now. My plan is to put four trays of the freeze dried onions in a Mylar bag with o2 absorber and then make one tray of onion powder. We will store in in a mason jar that we will vacuum seal with my attachment on my food saver. That is the going in plan anyway. Maybe put smaller amounts into a shaker from the mason jar and reseal it after each refill of the shaker.

Top Bottom