• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    What portion sizes do you put in the bags? Do you weigh them, or just eyeball? Obviously more if it is more than one serving, but what do you use as a serving size?

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    What portion sizes do you put in the bags? Do you weigh them, or just eyeball? Obviously more if it is more than one serving, but what do you use as a serving size?
    I just eyeball it, those are quart bags, figure enough for two, or one if you are really hungry.

Quickfoot11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2024
    Noblesville
    After years of wanting one, the wife and I finally broke down and ordered ours today. I will try to remember to post a review of sort and how we like it. Anybody on here have one, or have any tips, tricks, etc on their use?
    Eager to hear what you have to say about it! I've been wanting one for years too. I'm curious, after you've had some time with yours... Is it easy or time consuming? Simple to mold into your regular life to build up a good stash of food? Or just tedious?

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Eager to hear what you have to say about it! I've been wanting one for years too. I'm curious, after you've had some time with yours... Is it easy or time consuming? Simple to mold into your regular life to build up a good stash of food? Or just tedious?
    So far we have only done a bunch of onions, my mom bought about 50 pounds off of a truck. We have been grinding up the freeze dried onions into onion powder and then either putting it into Mylar bags or vacuum sealing them in mason jars. To this point, it is incredibly easy to use. Next up for us is carrots and then eggs. I will post follow up when we do.

Quickfoot11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2024
    Noblesville
    So far we have only done a bunch of onions, my mom bought about 50 pounds off of a truck. We have been grinding up the freeze dried onions into onion powder and then either putting it into Mylar bags or vacuum sealing them in mason jars. To this point, it is incredibly easy to use. Next up for us is carrots and then eggs. I will post follow up when we do.
    Nice. Eggs will be especially interesting. How are you prepping them beforehand? That's the type of food that would be extremely beneficial to have in an emergency. Lots of good protein and fat. Not to mention delicious with some hot sauce!

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Well you can either cook them, scramble probably for us, and the. Freeze dry them, or freeze dry them raw. for raw you can then powder them and add water and cook.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Not going to lie, it is more tedious than I thought going in. The biggest sticking point is knowing when the food is totally done, you can’t trust the machine. Some people just add tons of extra dry time, lots of wasted electricity, others keep weighing the food until there is no more weigh loss, weight being water. Luckily my job comes with an IR camera, so I use
    option 3 scanning the tray of food for cold spots, the easiest, but most expensive option.

Attachments

• IMG_7382.jpeg
      IMG_7382.jpeg
      234.4 KB · Views: 6

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Got some carrots in right now. The prep time was a little more. Peeling then blanching them. We will see how they turn out. Definitely a learning curve with some stuff, but not too difficult to figure out. So far we are happy with it. Eggs later this week.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    We have been freeze drying for a few years now. Just finished our 210th batch. We do everything from milk to ground beef. I think we have over 400 eggs done. Just remember that anything high in fat can’t be done. We have purchased turkeys when they are 89 cents per pound. We bake them and then freeze dry the cooked meat.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Started our first batch of raw eggs this evening. We will powder them and bag them when done, maybe some in vacuum sealed jars. The plan is for the next batch to be scrambled. FWIW, we have a medium 5 tray model and I got 60 eggs in it For this batch.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I learned something new about the freeze dryer tonight. I learned that it is super easy to use it as a vacuum chamber to vacuum seal the Mylar bags and even mason jars. It seals them up tight! The bags lok like something that came commercially vacuum sealed, virtually no air at all in the bags. We were considering buying a separate vacuum chamber for this, but not now!

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Wife and daughter have a cup sale coming up, spent the whole weekend running candy.

Sour Apple Carmel suckers, ran 48 of them plus skittles, jolly ranchers, air heads, peeps, nerd clusters, and gummy bears.

Attachments

• IMG_7603.jpeg
      IMG_7603.jpeg
      421.9 KB · Views: 11

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    We just finished a batch of ice cream sandwiches.
    Ice cream is fun too, I didn’t eat any since I’m doing low carb, but it looks pretty, and was a big hit at the party I took it to.

My recommendation, avoid chocolate, it bubbles really bad, must have more sugar.

Attachments

• IMG_7286.jpeg
      IMG_7286.jpeg
      458.6 KB · Views: 2

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    The ice cream sandwiches basically become crunchy ice cream sandwich flavored cookies. Not bad. We did blueberries today and failed. i think next time we will freeze them first and then break them up in a blender before freeze drying. Their skin is just too thick to dry all the way in a semi reasonable time. The bananas and strawberries turned out great though.

Top Bottom