• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Is it permissible to shoot a few paper targets before the meeting? I have a new Springfield 1911 that I'd love to shoot some of my reloads through to see how they do?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Okay. I have never shot anything but paper and it's been awhile since I did that. The only pistol I own that I have more then 2 mags for is my 1911 Range Officer of which I have about 200 rounds through it.

I do have a holster and a mag pouch that holds two mags, hearing protection, eye protection.

Should I come out or would it be better to get some more time shooting?

If I do talk myself into coming, what do I need to bring?

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Gregl,

It depends on how good a shot you are. I would venture the minimum round count is approximatley 100 rounds. That being said if you are like me I fired 200 rounds the first evening. There are no stages that require more than seven shots if you don't miss. But you have to shoot each stage three times. I would suggest you realistically need five magazines - especially if you're magazine capacity is limited to a maximum of 8 rounds.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My mags only hold 7 rounds. And I doubt I am anywhere near a good shot.

I'm sure someone would let you use a couple mags for the shoot if you need them. There are several 1911 that shoot FNS. I've seen people go 30 seconds (that's the max allowed) for almost every string and still have a good time. As long as you're safe and can follow instructions, you'll be fine.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm sure someone would let you use a couple mags for the shoot if you need them. There are several 1911 that shoot FNS. I've seen people go 30 seconds (that's the max allowed) for almost every string and still have a good time. As long as you're safe and can follow instructions, you'll be fine.

Can't I use 7 rounders? I have 5 of those.

Also, how far away are the targets?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Can't I use 7 rounders? I have 5 of those.

Also, how far away are the targets?

Yes, you should be ok with 5 mags, just go slow and make the rounds count. Targets are about 10-15 yards. You should come out, it's a great time and a nice casual way to get into competition shooting.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    And I doubt I am anywhere near a good shot.

How many stages are there?

gregkl - The first time I showed up at a FNS, I had brought my Every Day Carry (EDC) 3" Colt Defender & had a blast!

Five stages with three strings per stage. So figure this for min round count - 6x5x3 = 90ish

Things I have learned from attending FNS for the last 14 months:

1) Take a mag and load the first round in the chamber. Drop that mag and set it to the side as a "backup". Then load a full mag into your firearm. It's called a "Barney Round" and it can help your times. I've finished more than once at slide lock and would have had to do a reload if not for that round.

2) Slow = Smooth & Smooth = Fast - sounds cliche, but it's the truth. Take your time and make each shot count. Speed can come later. Accuracy is your 1st priority.

3) Be open to talking with your other Squad mates. There are several Novice shooters that are around, but there are also several more experienced shooters that are very friendly and talk around with newer shooters. I have yet to meet a bad egg in the bunch.

4) What you take from FNS is directly related to what you're willing to put in to your evening. Go out expecting to have a good time and you will.

Since my first visit with a couple of friends, I've helped introduce several to FNS. I have yet to have someone walk away not wanting to come back.

If you want more info or something, PM me and we can chat.

Top Bottom