Friend Fired from Aflac for being pregnant!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Kinda shirty, if you ask me! Her boss said the office could not run effectively for two months in her absence. Unfortunately, her husband works there as well and has been put in this awkward position.

The question:
    Is this legal since she had not yet turned in her FMLA papers?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Kinda shirty, if you ask me! Her boss said the office could not run effectively for two months in her absence. Unfortunately, her husband works there as well and has been put in this awkward position.

The question:

She didn't have a UNION, In our shop she would be able to come back

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    She didn't have a UNION, In our shop she would be able to come back

In your shop she would be paid twice as much as her value was worth, insurance premiums would be more outrageous then they already are and the temp that took her place would be harassed everyday until she came back. ;)

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    YEAH if she had worked in one of those darn UNION shops they would have MADE her come back and worked! Thank goodness we live in a country where profit is what rules the world...there is absolutely no room for compassion or any sort of moral behavior in the business world.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    YEAH if she had worked in one of those darn UNION shops they would have MADE her come back and worked! Thank goodness we live in a country where profit is what rules the world...there is absolutely no room for compassion or any sort of moral behavior in the business world.

Wow, OK forest through the trees I suppose. Business only exist because of profit. Everything else comes second. Don't relate Unions to morality, thats a stretch at best, and on top of everything, I am not backing the boss in the OP. But unions have by far out lived their usefulness, with the development of regulatory bodies that fight for workers safety and rights.

And don't give me this BS about not knowing, I'm 10 years into this pyramid scheme.

/thread jack

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    This is one of the few things in Indiana that does not fall under the at will hiring scheme. At least in my experience, when they fired my wife and the manager could provide no good excuse that did not involved her pregnancy her unemployment was just a few dollars shy of her full pay paid out by offending company. I have no idea of what the law is just stating my experience.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

The question:

In Indiana you can be fired for any reason I believe. Just can't speak of the illegal reasons

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Let me see if I have this straight.

I should be able to go snow skiing and blow my knee out requiring reconstructive surgery and a 2-3 month recovery time. I should also expect my employer to treat as though I never missed a day upon my return.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Let me see if I have this straight.

I should be able to go snow skiing and blow my knee out requiring reconstructive surgery and a 2-3 month recovery time. I should also expect my employer to treat as though I never missed a day upon my return.
    Having a child and blowing your knee out is not the same thing. But this is Indiana, you can be fired for whatever and there is little to do about it. Fighting it will be a loooong and costly process with no guarantees of victory. You should not be penalized for wanting to have a kid.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Having a child and blowing your knee out is not the same thing. But this is Indiana, you can be fired for whatever and there is little to do about it. Fighting it will be a loooong and costly process with no guarantees of victory. You should not be penalized for wanting to have a kid.

But they're both elective actions.

But the employer should be penalized for their employee wanting to have a kid?

Top Bottom