• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    ^ yes but learm from my mistakes and DO NOT mix FL with any other petroleum products.

I've used FL in the snow on both an M1A and AR15 & it ran fine because I followed the instructions. I used FL on a striker fired pistol then put a few drops of petroleum based lube on the slide rails and the two mixed, got into the striker hole, gummed up and caused it to fail.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    ^ yes but learm from my mistakes and DO NOT mix FL with any other petroleum products.

I've used FL in the snow on both an M1A and AR15 & it ran fine because I followed the instructions. I used FL on a striker fired pistol then put a few drops of petroleum based lube on the slide rails and the two mixed, got into the striker hole, gummed up and caused it to fail.

I used FL exclusively on my guns for about 2 years and have only decided earlier this year that I'm phasing it out.

First time I used it, I did a detailed cleaning. Never used petroleum based products during that time. I used the recommended frog lube cleaning solution. I did what it said. My biggest problem with it was gumming up the BCG on my AR in the cold. It got better after a few rounds and warming things up.

Although the instructions say to wipe dry after applying the CLP product, it says for storage or "harsh conditions" leave a thin film. Well, that resulted in a gummy barrel in my M&P 22-15 that was stored several months because of the 22LR panic. Granted, I always clean after storage anyway and it wasn't all that hard to clean the gunk out. But it was more than the usual of running a bore snake through and checking proper function.

I think for some uses it's okay. As I said earlier, my striker fired pistols don't seem to care. I'll probably continue to use it on those just to use it up. And for everything else it's the stinky stuff.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I wonder if FL would make a good drill lube. It's very similar to Boelube that Boeing makes and is used for drilling aluminum.

any bandsaw blade wax will do good. $15 lasts many years.

trendiwax_action_9.jpg

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    When I built my Barrett the folks at the factory said the best thing to clean it with was an air compressor hose. That one kind of "blew me away"! Seriously, that is what they said!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Former froglube advocate here... Former.

Works ok on pistols that would run even without lube (Glocks, M&P's, etc). There are far better options for anything with much actual meal-metal contact. Lucas Gun Oil, Weaponshield, Slip 2000 to name a few.

Only thing I use FL for now is rust prevention on carbon steel blades that may be used for food prep.

Another FORMER F/Ler here, too.

Switched to appropriate grease. Lubriplate is good stuff.

Truth is, even weak oil are often good enough for a gun. #firecleanlol

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    How would you go about ridding your firearm from the dreaded FL curse? Spray it down with Brake Cleaner then start over with your favorite petroleum based lubricant?

cncswiss1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Fishers/Noblesville
    I just missed a deer because of cold weather and frog lube,in the cold it turned to goo and glued my firing pin goo in place.
    it WAS so nice and slick in the hot weather.... then along came a buck, and my just built wilson 458 socom went CLICK !*#$@#!!!! rack another round in chamber (at the time thought it was a bad primer)--- click !!@#!@#$!!.. luckily my buddy was in the blind with me and wasn't laughing too hard to pick up the slack- picked the rounds up off the floor, no dents-
    cleaned bolt in the field with a stick and some paper towels, reassemble and BANG--
    I am pitching my bottle, stuff is worthless

- if you really want to know what frog lube is like just fill your bolt with Elmers glue.

back to ole Rem oil- it has never let me down

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I just missed a deer because of cold weather and frog lube,in the cold it turned to goo and glued my firing pin goo in place.
    it WAS so nice and slick in the hot weather.... then along came a buck, and my just built wilson 458 socom went CLICK !*#$@#!!!! rack another round in chamber (at the time thought it was a bad primer)--- click !!@#!@#$!!.. luckily my buddy was in the blind with me and wasn't laughing too hard to pick up the slack- picked the rounds up off the floor, no dents-
    cleaned bolt in the field with a stick and some paper towels, reassemble and BANG--
    I am pitching my bottle, stuff is worthless

- if you really want to know what frog lube is like just fill your bolt with Elmers glue.

back to ole Rem oil- it has never let me down

You, like me, did not follow the instructions.

cncswiss1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Fishers/Noblesville
    I followed the directions, used brakleen and then the frog lube cleaner to degrease the newly manufactured gun (built from parts.
    applied the frog goo, heated gun, wiped it off.
    took it out in the cold and the firing pin was yolked in place..
    for hunting the stuff is useless.
    now I need to take it apart and brakleen the whole mess and redo it with good ole rem oil, perhaps not the fanciest stuff, but it has never failed me.

IMG_1780-L.jpg
    IMG_1777-XL.jpg

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    IMO, lube shouldn't have instructions

^^^^THIS^^^^

This pretty much sums the problem with Froglube up. Any lube, no matter how good, should never induce a failure if not applied properly. Lube's should not fail because someone came along later and put a couple of drops of standard lube down the rails.

I really wanted to like Froglube and bought the big kit. I followed the dang instructions and still ended up with a gun that, despite being buffed dry before short term storage, came out of storage gummy. I wanted the stuff to work. After years of working with chemicals, the skin on my hands is very sensitive to any chemical so the idea of a cleaner/lube that was easier on the skin was really a good thing. It was money wasted on my part though.

Top Bottom