• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Hmmmm, I have never heard of the Zoo here in town described as rough. We are Zoo members and frequent the Zoo quite often. Many sections of the Zoo has been completely redone over the last five years or so. From the information we get it is usually regarded as one of the top Zoos in the country. My wifes family is from Fishers and they come up here a couple times a year to visit the Zoo, you will not be disappointed.
    I have to agree with this sentiment. My wife & I grew up with the FT Wayne Zoo being the only one we've known. We've now been to numerous zoos including 1 in Paris and I can say without a doubt the Ft Wayne Zoo is by far the best zoo for the price of admission with the exception of the St Louis Zoo (which is free bc it is subsidized). Indy Zoo is lame for the cost and the Evansville Zoo isn't even a zoo. My wife went to that one with a friend and was appalled at the lack of "zoo" at the zoo.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In a bad area and just run down, as if lack of funds have just run it into the ground, nothing like Indy zoo.

Again it is a zoo, how bad can it be, they have the zoo train, what's not to love?

Again I would eat at Casa.

Run down? Bad area?

:rofl:

It's one of the best children's zoos in country!

So BBI, not sure if I'm too late to get in on this, but what's the family ages?

Coney Island & Yummi Bunni are the bee's knees (a block from my office), that ice cream is something out of this world....

Hoppy Gnome is tacos; but fancy ones.
    Shig and Pit is really good, especially the brisket & burnt ends. (two locations now)
    800 Degree Pizza is excellent wood fired pizza.
    Wu's Chinese is excellent quality Chinese Food.
    Casa's is really good Italian.
    Banditos and El Azteca are pretty traditional Americanized Mexican food.

Today there's a review of Black Dog Pub in the paper raving about their fried mushrooms and sandwiches.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We stopped at Culver's on the way back to the interstate. Looks like a fatality motorcycle accident on I-69. I don't know if more than the bike was involved, but I suspect two dead based on what I saw of the scene.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. The zoo was quite nice. Hoppy Gnome was cool, the chili shrimp taco was my favorite.

We may go back up there to do some canoeing, if so we'll check out some of the other recommendations.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Hmmmm, I have never heard of the Zoo here in town described as rough. We are Zoo members and frequent the Zoo quite often. Many sections of the Zoo has been completely redone over the last five years or so. From the information we get it is usually regarded as one of the top Zoos in the country. My wifes family is from Fishers and they come up here a couple times a year to visit the Zoo, you will not be disappointed.

As far as local joints to try Casa Itialian- except for their Parnell location. Shigs-N-Pit BBQ, Coney Island downtown is fantastic. Oleys Pizza on West Jeffereson/Hwy 24 (this location only) is the best pizza between Chicago and NYC. Their double crust is second to none.

Both Casa and Oley's are must visits when I'm near Ft. Wayne.

BBI, since it sounds like you may be back in the Ft. Wayne area soon, I highly recommend a visit to the Botanical Conservatory. It is much nicer than the botanical gardens in Indy, imo.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Couldn't get this posted from my phone but for your next visit I put this together for the out of town guest staying downtown for my son's wedding last year. There are a few new restaurants now. If you want the related map send me a PM and I will email the PDF that I am not smart enough to link here. Glad you enjoyed the Zoo.

==============================

Newlyweds’ Kitchen Guide
    “Where do you want to eat?” “I don’t care.”

Attached is a map of FW Downtown Restaurants (dt) and a Restaurant Guide – Southwest (sw). Zip Code
    is 46802. To help you through the lists here are some recommendations. Don’t let these
    recommendations turn you away from other restaurants, these are just ones that are popular. Also
    ask the locals at the hotels for their recommendations.

Juan Valdez’s Coffee Guide (and Breakfast)

As you search for your morning brew along with breakfast you may wish to try these locations. All
    are a short walk from the Hilton or Marriott. Keep in mind that our hotel location is in business
    downtown and caters to the M-F crowd. Service may be hit or miss during the weekend.
    • (dt:48) Starbucks – 502 W. Jefferson Blvd – www.starbucks.com
    • (dt:37) Dunkin Donuts – located inside the Library at Webster and Washington Blvd –
    www.dunkindonuts.com - Only open Saturday morning starting at 8:00am.
    • (dt:4) Cindy’s Diner – 230 W. Berry St. – Authentic 50’s Diner. Serving the “Whole World” 15
    seats at a time.
    • (dt:40) Fortezza Coffee – 819 S. Calhoun St. – Closed Sunday.
    • (dt:8) Dash In –814 S. Calhoun St. – www.thedash-in.com –Closed Sunday. Serving breakfast and
    lunch – see below.
    • Fast Food on W. Jefferson Blvd. Your choice of McDonalds, Taco Bell, Arby’s or King Gyros.
    • Hotel restaurants at the (dt:25) Hilton (Bistro) or (dt:3) Courtyard (Champions).

Friday Snacks and Saturday Lunch As you get ready for the big event you may want to grab a quick
    lunch.

• (dt:7) Coney Island Wiener Stand – 131 W. Main St. - www.fortwaynesfamousconeyisland.com
    Stop by and help them celebrate their 100th anniversary with a Coney Dog and a Coke.
    • (dt:18) Pembroke Bakery – 300 E. Main St. – www.pembrokebakeryandcafe.wordpress.com - This
    little gem has many vegan and gluten free options. Across the street from the Art Museum. Grab a
    pastry for breakfast the next morning.
    • (dt:9) Don Hall’s Deck – 305 E. Superior St. (on the river behind the Gas House) -
    www.donhalls.com – Sit on the deck by the river and enjoy a beer and pub food.
    • Deer Park Irish Pub – 1530 Leesburg Road - www.deerparkpub.com – A huge selection of beers and
    less than three miles from the hotel. Located right next to St. Francis College (go figure). Look
    for the little shack down in the gully and ask for a seat in the “Snug”.
    • (dt:12) J K O’Donnell’s – 121 W. Wayne St. – www.jkodonnells.com - Stop by for some Irish pub
    food and enjoy a large selection of draft beer along with a good showing of bourbons and scotches.
    • (dt:24) 816 Pint & Slice – 816 Calhoun St. - www.pintandslice.com – Grab a beer and a slice
    of pizza. Get an ice cream bar from the cooler for dessert too.
    • (dt:8) Dash In –814 S. Calhoun St. – www.thedash-in.com – a unique pub like dinner menu with
    some vegetarian and gluten free options. They also have an excellent set of beer taps.
    • (dt:13) Mad Anthony Brewing Company – 2002 Broadway – www.madbrew.com – One of the area’s
    first microbreweries. Order your pizza as soon as you sit down and enjoy a Scooby snack or other
    eclectic pub food.
    • (dt:23) Wine Down – 301 W. Jefferson Blvd. - www.winedownfw.com – Wine tasting and Tapas menu.
    • (dt:23) Freshii – 301 W. Jefferson Blvd. - www.freshii.com – Fresh healthy alternatives (think
    rabbit food).
    Baseball – Friday www.TinCaps.com – grab a ticket, watch the game, and enjoy some ballpark food.
    Cigars Riegel’s Pipe & Tobacco – 624 S. Calhoun St. - www.riegelscigars.com - Buy a cigar and enjoy
    in their smoking lounge.

Dinner (walking distance) Here are a few options for dinner.

• (dt:5) Club Soda – 235 E. Superior St. – www.clubsodafortwayne.com – (260) 426-3442 Enjoy a
    manly steak and martini or a girly walleye and lemon drop. Stay for the jazz trio Friday at 9:00pm.
    • (dt:9) Don Hall’s Old Gas House – 305 E. Superior St. - www.donhalls.com – (260) 426-3411 Come
    in for a good meat and potatoes meal. For a lighter snack try a bowl of Gumbo and a plate of Filet
    Mignon Sliders.
    • (dt:21) Takaoka of Japan – 305 E. Superior St. - www.donhalls.com – (260) 424-3183 Enjoy the
    tableside entertainment as the chef prepares your meals. Grab ten of your best friends and reserve
    a table at the grill.
    • (dt:12) J K O’Donnell’s – 121 W. Wayne St. – www.jkodonnells.com - (260) 420-5563 - See above.
    • (dt:16) Oyster Bar - 1830 S. Calhoun St. - www.fwoysterbar.com – (260) 744-9490 Enjoy some
    freshly shucked oysters and then choose from their long list of fresh catches. A ten block walk or
    short drive from the hotels.
    • (dt:8) Dash In –814 S. Calhoun St. – www.thedash-in.com – see above.
    • (near dt:1) tolon –614 S. Harrison St. (260) 399-5128 Farm to Table dining.

Dinner (driving)
    If you want some additional options hop in the car and try these. Most selected are along West
    Jefferson Blvd. west of downtown. Leave the hotel and head west on Washington Blvd. When it becomes
    a two way street after the city park you will then be on Jefferson Blvd. Later when you get to the
    “Y” in the road veer left.

• (dt:35) Don Chava’s Mexican Grill – 1234 N. Wells St. (follow Ewing St. north until you cross
    the river) – www.cebollasmexgrill.net - (260) 423-8423 Mexican and Margaritas. Get a Lulu or step
    up to a Monster. We enjoy Arroz Con Pollo, Tilapia A La Palapa and Quesadilla De La Casa.
    • (dt:17) Paula’s on Main – 1732 Main St. - (260) 424-2300 Fresh seafood for sale but you will
    probably want a table and have the chef prepare it for you in the kitchen.
    • (dt:10) Henry’s – 536 W. Main St. – (260) 426-0531 – Enjoy the seafood at their walk up raw
    bar (cash only) or order off the menu (credit card friendly).
    • (sw:10) Eddie Merlots – 4010 W. Jefferson Blvd. - www.eddiemerlots.com – (260) 459-2222 - A
    classic steak house meal. (sw:K) Biaggi’s Ristorante – 4010 W. Jefferson Blvd. - www.biaggis.com
    (260) 459-6700 – Italian cuisine.
    • (sw:2) Asakusa – 6401 West Jefferson – (260) 432-9888 – www.asakusasushibar.com - Japanese
    restaurant and sushi bar.
    • (sw:2) Chop’s Wine Bar - 6421 W. Jefferson Blvd. – www.chopswineanddine.com – (260) 436-9220 -
    The little sister of Chop’s. The house wine is a full poor and the menu is unique and tasty. You
    can sample a flight of wine.
    • (sw:2) Chop’s Restaurant – 6421 W. Jefferson Blvd. – (260)436-9115 – Great service with a
    well-rounded menu.
    • (sw:H) Catablu Grille – 6372 W. Jefferson Blvd. – (260) 456-6563 - Artistically prepared
    modern, fresh and flavorful casual fare. Usually end up ordering the chef’s special.
    • (sw:3) Casa Ristorante – 7545 W. Jefferson Blvd. - www.casarestaurants.net – (260) 436-2272 –
    A classic local Italian restaurant that has been a Fort Wayne favorite for four decades.
    • (sw:H) Scotty’s Brewhouse – 6282 W. Jefferson Blvd. – www.scottysbrewhouse.com – (260)
    918-0346 – Traditional bar food, a little upscale, with good beer selection.
    (sw:K) Jefferson Pointe – 4110 W. Jefferson Blvd. - www.jeffersonshopping.com - This shopping
    center has a Walmart for anything you may have forgotten. The shopping center also has a selection
    of fast food and franchise joints. Wendy’s, Panda Bowl, Tilted Kilt,
    Smokey Bones, Chick Fil A, Panera, O’Charlies, Logans, Chipolte, McCallisters, Starbucks, Flat Top
    Grill, Tucanos Brazilian Grill.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Mahnin Asian restaurant--Burmese and Thai.

Ate there in the Spring when I taught up a seminar up in Fort Wayne. It's downtown on Calhoun.

It would be a great date restaurant for you and the wife. Don't be put off by the outside. It is the kitchen that counts.

Top Bottom