• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My MIL never spent a penny. I mean seriously never spent a penny. All the penny's all when in jars, boxes, cans, piggy banks. After she passed away we made many trips to the bank with change. I don't remember the end amount, but it was crazy (I don't think is was as big as your haul though). I set aside many jugs & jars of wheat penny's. I still have them. My kids can spend them.

TCU down town South Bend ended up with a lot of them. Somewhere along the way a couple washers and screws ended up in one of the batches. That jammed the coin machine for the day :-( . I sifted threw the rest to make sure there were coins only after that. What a PIA that was. Copper smells funky after sitting so long.

I have a couple small boxes of real silver coins too. She started saving that at some point to. Most of it is so worn the dates are unreadable.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    when my father passed he had a rain barrel that he dumped all of his change in every night for the last few years, but he only dumped in the "silver" coins, ie nickels, dimes, quarters, and the occasional half dollar and dollar coins. The rain barrel was about 1/3 full. I cut it open so I had access to the coins and took them to the bank, about (2) ammo cans at a time, multiple times. In the end there was over $8000 in that rain barrel. The 3 banks I took coins to had a coin counting machine in the back so it wasn't that big of a deal to them. One lady that had some experience told me that 22 lbs of mixed "silver" was worth about $400 and she was pretty darn close on average. (yes, I weighed the coins on occasion because I was curious ;) )

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I never use change when making a purchase. If it's $1.01, I give them $2. As a result, the change piles up pretty fast.
    Very few banks will take it unrolled any more, so I try to get rid of it once a year. Usually nets $400-$600.

I just cant wait to see what a $2300 Mosin looks like. :thumbsup:

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    I never use change when making a purchase. If it's $1.01, I give them $2. As a result, the change piles up pretty fast.
    Very few banks will take it unrolled any more, so I try to get rid of it once a year. Usually nets $400-$600.

It will look like this,

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I guess things have swung back the other way then. For a time I used to roll my coins and take them to the bank and they made me write my name and account number on each roll, then started discouraging it altogether. Maybe they were getting a lot of slugs or washers in their rolls. :dunno:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If all unrolled, I'd have gone to a coinstar machine and gotten Amazon gift codes.

For a price TF, for a price.

My bank has the coin machine out in the lobby, pour it in and it spits out a receipt that you take to the teller for deposit or withdrawl. I have a couple of plastic beer bottle banks about 24" tall. One is pennies only and the other is silver (in appearance). The daughters used to laugh at me for throwing my loose change in the bottles until I cashed in the silver one and got $2300 out of it. They both went out and got their own plastic beer bottle banks the next day!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I learned something really strange from a buddy of mine a couple years ago that this reminded me of. But his dad doesn't drink (anymore), or smoke or really have any other little vices. So instead of going and buying a case of beer or pack of cigarettes or just working continually he will drive from his house to a local car way with 10 or 20 bucks and hit their quarter machine and come back home with them. It is his way to chill out I guess I never really got a good reason out of him for why he does it. He just said "it's his thing" since he doesn't drink or anything like that. But I guess he has boxes and boxes or quarters just full up in the attic and garage. I cannot imagine how much money he'd have to have in quarters. I am going to ask my buddy about it again when he is home for Christmas this coming week. Does anyone else know anyone that does something similar?

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I learned something really strange from a buddy of mine a couple years ago that this reminded me of. But his dad doesn't drink (anymore), or smoke or really have any other little vices. So instead of going and buying a case of beer or pack of cigarettes or just working continually he will drive from his house to a local car way with 10 or 20 bucks and hit their quarter machine and come back home with them. It is his way to chill out I guess I never really got a good reason out of him for why he does it. He just said "it's his thing" since he doesn't drink or anything like that. But I guess he has boxes and boxes or quarters just full up in the attic and garage. I cannot imagine how much money he'd have to have in quarters. I am going to ask my buddy about it again when he is home for Christmas this coming week. Does anyone else know anyone that does something similar?

When I was 16 and working at a gas station, a middle eastern gentleman would come in every day and buy 2 packs of Tareyton 100s plus he'd get $3 in quarters. One day I asked him why and his reply was simply "rainy day fund".

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    ?We throw all our change in a coffee can and a 5 gallon glass pig. Pennies in the pig, everything else in the coffee can. We take the can to the wife's credit union once a year. They count it, unrolled, and deposit it in her savings account, no charge. It usually pays for a p doggin' trip.

What percentage does Coinstar take?

Never used Coinstar but you got me curious so I looked it up. 11.9% for cash or no fee for an ecard.

https://www.coinstar.com/howcoinstarworks#cash

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    What percentage does Coinstar take?

If you get the cash option, it's a whopping $11.9%.

For a price TF, for a price.

Amazon electronic gift certificates/cards don't cost. Amazon owns Coinstar (or so I was told). If you put in $357 in change into a machine and you opt for the Amazon "credit", you'll get all $357.

If you opt for cash, it'll be $315.52.

Top Bottom