• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    when my father passed he had a rain barrel that he dumped all of his change in every night for the last few years, but he only dumped in the "silver" coins, ie nickels, dimes, quarters, and the occasional half dollar and dollar coins. The rain barrel was about 1/3 full. I cut it open so I had access to the coins and took them to the bank, about (2) ammo cans at a time, multiple times. In the end there was over $8000 in that rain barrel. The 3 banks I took coins to had a coin counting machine in the back so it wasn't that big of a deal to them. One lady that had some experience told me that 22 lbs of mixed "silver" was worth about $400 and she was pretty darn close on average. (yes, I weighed the coins on occasion because I was curious ;) )

Did you go through it to get any coins that actually contained silver (1964 and earlier)? They're worth a bit more than face value!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Did you go through it to get any coins that actually contained silver (1964 and earlier)? They're worth a bit more than face value!

I didn't have to. My dad was a bit of a coin hound, so he already sorted them. Silver coins didn't make it to the bank ;)

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    No wheaties, just "silver" coins. I saved most of the kennedy 50 cent pieces and Eisenhower dollars (few and far between). Coin dates were everything from the late 60s to present day. The only other thing I picked out were the 76 bicentennial quarters.

Top Bottom