• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J4Me

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    She's interested and I got her a SR22. I'd like the first range trip to be fun so I'm looking for suggestions on fun, reactive targets. Once we get her schooled on safety and the basics I'm wanting something to shoot that's big enough that she can hit it and have FUN! Spinners, steel plates, shoot-n-c, etc.

If you have any specific models you can recommend that would be great.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If outdoor, one of the cheapest, most visually appealing targets to destroy (if your range allows, which most do) are bright colored clay pigeons. Even with a .22 they provide instant feedback.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    12 or 16oz. water bottles laid down on a board with the cap pointing at the shooter.
    The cap makes a maller target and is fun to shoot. After she is comfy with bring on the Tannerite!

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    For my kiddo I use sidewalk chaulk cut down with shears. Set them on golf tees. They give a nice puff of dust when you hit them. When he gets cocky I replace them with aspirin.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of shooting at garbage.

45% IPSC steel silhouettes are a great reactive pistol target, at about eight to ten yards. They can be suspended by chain, from a sawhorse with a couple of nails in it, or you can build or buy a stand that supports the target on one vertical 2x4. Either way, if the shooter is unskilled, you'll probably have to replace some wood from time to time.

Bobcat Steel has some "jacks" targets, that flip to a new target position every time you hit them. You end up "chasing" them around the range. At a range like MCF&G, it may not be kosher to shoot at a ground target, but if you're on your own back 40, I can see where a fellow, or a lady, might derive a good quantity of enjoyment out of shooting that type of reactionary target.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    +1 on our walkers and jacks. Special pricing on them this weekend at the 1500!!

2.5" Paddle Rimfire Walker - [STRIKE]$40[/STRIKE] $20
    2.5" Paddle Pistol Jack - [STRIKE]$60[/STRIKE] $25
    4" Paddle Pistol Walker - [STRIKE]$60[/STRIKE] $30
    4" Paddle Rifle Jack - [STRIKE]$85[/STRIKE] $50

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Fill a balloon with a spoonful of baking flour and then blow it up. When you shoot it, it looks as if you set off an artillery round from all the flour exploding into the air.

Dwight

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    Squirrels and rabbits are fun .22 targets. I love the way they react. Especially when they hit the hot bacon grease in the frying pan!

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Go biodegradable! Eggs and apples go right back to the earth after they're blown up..

If it's your own woods have at it. If it's a range you have to share with other people, consider that flies, ants, and the stench of rotten food isn't very pleasant when you go downrange to hang paper targets.

The fun factor of steel is not only the immediate audio feedback it gives, but also the fact that you go downrange and set it up once, then shoot all you want.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If it's your own woods have at it. If it's a range you have to share with other people, consider that flies, ants, and the stench of rotten food isn't very pleasant when you go downrange to hang paper targets.

The fun factor of steel is not only the immediate audio feedback it gives, but also the fact that you go downrange and set it up once, then shoot all you want.

Most public ranges I'm familiar with will NOT allow any steel, or even "hard" targets.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Killer sale!

My statement about them not being kosher at MCF&G was pure speculation. Can anyone provide concrete information?

Last time I asked, steel target NOT attached to a frame of some sort are not permitted on the standard range at MCFG, so the walkers would be out. There is some question of whether the pistol walker may be useable in the bays, though; I did not ask that specifically so I would defer to one of the officers to be sure.

Top Bottom