• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Last time I asked, steel target NOT attached to a frame of some sort are not permitted on the standard range at MCFG, so the walkers would be out. There is some question of whether the pistol walker may be useable in the bays, though; I did not ask that specifically so I would defer to one of the officers to be sure.

Steel (on the main range and bays) must be hung directly in front of a berm such that a bullet striking the target is deflected downward.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Most public ranges I'm familiar with will NOT allow any steel, or even "hard" targets.

You, sir, need to come down to MCF&G, for Friday Night Steel.

As long as the targets are abrasion-resistant steel, and are shot from a safe distance, ETA: AND YOU WEAR PROPER PPE, there is virtually no danger.

At a public range, it may not be a good idea to allow them though, because you would have the lowest common denominator, with no skin in the game, interpreting the rules. I can see how this might result in some unsafe situations. On that same token though, shooting at groceries and garbage would quickly nasty up a range.

The one middle-ground here is clay targets, as was mentioned previously. They aren't unsightly on a range, and you can shoot the increasingly smaller pieces for quite a while. My son does like to shoot at them, now that I got him a rifle that fits, and he can put the bullet where he wants it. The most important part is that it's much more enjoyable than putting holes in paper.

I still insist that for the new, or infrequent, handgun shooter, steel targets are awesome. The audio feedback makes it like a carnival game. For someone at a new, or occasional skill level, having a good time is as much a part of it as anything.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Aluminum cans cheap and easy clean-up. Not allowed at many public ranges. If paper only then no doubt, Shoot & See targets, if close then maybe the small ones but if at 25yds then the larger ones.

Top Bottom