Funniest And/Or Strangest Thing You Saw While Fishing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Yesterday I was out on the lake I live at. While fishing a steep rocky shoreline near a dock I saw a small bird attacking a chipmunk. I don't know if the the chipmunk was near the birds nest but that bird was determined to chase it away. It constantly dove at the chipmunk following it around the rocks and under the dock. The poor chipmunk finally found some rocks it could squeeze between and you could see it peeking its head out looking for the bird. It was one of the funniest things to watch.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Other than my father-in-law dumping himself (and almost me) out of the boat trying to retrieve has favorite 99-cent lure from a tree (10' up, I might add), I got nothing. His depth perception has gone wonky over the years, so he spends about 1/2 of his time hunting tree bass.

He also caught a water moccasin on his fly rod and REFUSED to loose that fly as well. Caught the snake, pulled the fly with LONG pliers, and tossed the snake back!

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    My dad and I were fishing in southern IN, under a bridge that was a few stories above our heads, about 10 feet out from the side of the bridge above.

I was throwing my line in, enjoying myself when a car drove overhead. I started hearing this crashing through the trees over my head, so I start to run under the bridge, thinking someone had thrown an empty bottle out of the car into the river.

I hadn't made it a few steps when there was this *thud*.

I turn around, and there's this huge doe, twitching, right where I was just standing, with a snapped neck. My dad and I were like :n00b:

It bled out over the next few minutes.

Had I stayed where I was fishing it would have hit me.

We take a few pics, still in disbelief, then my dad picks up his rod. A sunfish had hooked itself while he set it down to gawk. :n00b:

A few minutes later, we hear this faint bleating. I walk up to the road and there's a fawn in the middle of the road bleating for its mother.

Apparently the doe was in the middle of the bridge overhead and dove the wrong direction when a car came at it.

True story.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Me and a buddy were fishing over by Bloomfield where Lattas Creek dumps into the White when we heard this big splash. We looked over in time to see a deer coming up out of the water and trying its best to get back up the bank it had just fell down.

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My buddy and I were fishing a paylake on the southside of Indy and I smelled a strong odor of weed. These two younger boys were fishing next to us. I would watch them go back and forth to their car. At one point one of the boys walked over to me and asked for a hook. Apparently they brought their weed but no tackle. I gave him a hook and about five minutes later he retuned and offered me and my buddy a joint. I said thanks but no thanks. He said are you a cop? I didn't say anything to him. He walked away and talked with his buddy. Next thing we knew he was standing at the edge of the bank dumping one of those 1 gallon zip-lock bags full of weed in the lake. He said "Sorry Officer, I didn't know, we are very sorry" I said no problem but I'm not a cop. You should have seen the look in their eyes. PRICELESS!!!!

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Pond fishing strip pits, I saw a bird(not a bird of prey) dive toward the water on a far bank and the water rolled with what turned out to be huge redear and bluegill on bed. I caught 60+!!! Fun day.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Fishing at Rockville years ago, back in the day(before it became over populated with 3-4" CRAPpie).

When you would get close to a particular tree, this squirrel would try to drop walnuts on your boat. Not to mention, squalking at you.

I really wanted to shoot that SOB. ;)

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Holy Mackeral

I was reeling in a 18" spanish mackeral while flats fishing in SW Florida. As it got to the boat it was zig zagging very fast. It jumped out of the water about 6 feet from boat, followed immediately by a 4 foot bull shark that bit the belly out of it while both were in mid-air. A true Nat Geo moment.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    This goes in the strangest catagory. A few years back 3 of us were night fishing at Hardy. It was well past sun down and night had set in. We were directly across from the main boat ramp and idling with our running lights on to our next spot.

We hear another boat running much faster than idle (illegal) without lights (illegal). It throttles back and then off and we struggle to look for it. It was a moonless night so there wasn't much ambient light available for us to find the boat. Suddenly, we see a very large flash of light in a different direction than where we were thinking the boat was, followed immediately by a boat starting and accellerating very fast (again illegal in night conditions).

We can tell the boat is going away from us based on the sounds and we're not in any immenent danger of getting hit by this boat with no lights that we still can't see.

Our eyes turn back to the flash of light which is now a growing FIRE between us and the boat ramp. As it grows we can start to see the outline of a boat, which was on fire.

We all look towards each other and litterally said WTF? We saw the fire was near the bow of the boat, not the back by the motor, which was even more strange. We had a fire extinguisher on board, so decided we'd slowly make our way towards the boat and make sure there weren't any people on it that needed help.

As we get closer to the boat we can see several red gas can's in the boat, which was a typical runnabout / ski boat, and that one of them is what appeared to be the main source of the fire. We also could tell that there wasn't anyone in the boat, and nobody immediately in the water around it. By that point the upholstery on the front of the boat was fully engulfed in fire and we realized that we weren't going to be able to put it out. Further, fire + gas cans isn't a good mix, so we decided it was time to get the heck out of dodge.

We could see the registration number still on the side of the bow, so we wrote it down and then moved to a safer distance. We debated for a while about what to do next, and decided to call it in to the authorities. We knew there wasn't anything they could do about the boat, but figured that if it was an intentionally set blaze, that the person that owned the boat would either be a) really pissed that his boat just got torched by somebody else, or b) was trying to torch it for the insurance check.

We were very keyed up on adrenaline by that point, thinking we may have just stepped in deep doo-doo. It was clearly intentionally set, and the high rate of speed that the other boat left at meant that they didn't want to be caught doing it. The problem was that we still had plain view of the ramp and hadn't seen anyone pull a boat out of the water. Tt was very likely that boat was still somewhere on the lake, probably watching the whole thing go down, and wondering what actions we took. It was probably dark enough that they couldn't see our exact descriptions, and may or may not have heard us talking to the authorities.

We ended up fishing a few more hours because the bass were biting well that night. After a 1/2 hour or so the DNR and sherrif's dept. responded and towed the boat back to the dock (it had burned itself out by the time they got there, and was still afloat).

We checked local papers for incident reports for the next week or so and never saw anything about it, so not sure what had happened. The good news for us is that nothing happened to us either. We were pretty worried that whoever set the fire had seen us, and may try to do some things to us when we left. Nothing did happen, and when we left there was only 1 other truck at the ramp with a trailer, so it was pretty clear that either it was the truck that brought the burned up boat out, or was the truck that was going to pick up the boat that was involved in setting the other boat on fire.

We weren't going to stick around and find out. Anyway, long post, but by far the most bizzare / intense / scarey thing I've seen while fishing.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Funny: My dad and my best friend's dad completely hammered, trying to get on a banana boat from in the water on lake Patoka about 15 years ago. :laugh:

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    My father and I were fishing one time in a fairly crowded lake. It was a peaceful morning when all of a sudden we here this panicked yelling and turned to see a man standing, jumping, trying to run from something when he fell out of his boat into the lake. He wasn't far so we trolled over to see what happened at which point he sheepishly admitted he had a fear of spiders, and there was one in his boat.

Modhydro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Catfishing

When I was about 10 or so we were on a trip up lake Michigan at Leeland Michigan. We were fishing for perch and panfish on the Lelanau river having a pretty relaxing time. My dad just pulled in a bluegill when a cat ran up to grab the fish. It wound up getting hooked and as you can imagine took off faster than hell and with that screaming noise that only an injured cat can make. I can still hear the noise of the cat, the drag of the reel as it ran like crazy and my mom yelling at my dad like it was his fault. He quickly realized that the cat wasn't going to cooperate so cut the line. If you ever thougth a hooked fish will flop around, you shoud get a cat on the line some time! I don't think we will ever forget it.

Steve

Top Bottom