Funniest And/Or Strangest Thing You Saw While Fishing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I lived in Florida for 12 years in the 80's & 90's. Me and a buddy used to go fishing on the Kissimee river south of Hwy 60. You go down 6-8 miles and the river borders the Avon Park bombing range.

It was so cool, you'd be fishing when an F-16 would buzz over at 100' and 500 knots, then 15 seconds later you could hear the "boom" as the practice bomb went off. And sometimes they would have a AA section there shooting at the planes with what they called "smoky SAMs" which were just rockets that produced giant trails of smoke (no warhead) to train the pilots. That was such a great place to fish and only used by the locals for the most part.

Plus, there was great fishing on the old river section, caught a 12 pounder once.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    Camping/fishing on North bank of Allen's Creek, Monroe Res. Labor Day weekend about 1994. Just mind'n my own business Sunday at high noon. I hear a noise and look over to the West and a group of 8-10 ladies come down from the woods above and walk to the bank. They stripped off all their clothes and swam across the thinnest part of the waterway, through all the boats, to the other side. They briefly get out and stand on the south bank, then swim back to their pile of clothes. Then they get dressed and go back up through the woods. (after they cussed me for look'n at 'em!)I always figured it had to have been an initiation into a group at IU. Had to be the swim team, because they were fine swimmers!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    several years ago fishing at the mississinewa spill way two boys were upstream about 50 yards throwing fist size rocks into the river.
    My father was getting annoyed until one boy hit the other in the back of the head knocking
    him into the river.
    Then we decided that was one of our best fishing trips.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I wasn't fishing myself but I was conversing with a fisherman in Munich, Germany and looked up to see a 300+ pound female nude bather in the same river. I was on my honeymoon and had to work hard to burn that image out of my head.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    This one time, At the fishing hole me and my gf at the time.... Oh wait, this is a PG-13 website, so much for that story.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    was real young an was bobber fishing for cat-fish. then a large catfish jumped and swallowed the bobber. landed the fish on the bobber no hook needed.

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    when i was a kid, my dad lived on a lake in brown county, one day i caught a crappie just big enough to swallow my hook, after fighting to get the hook out with regular pliers for about ten mins i got frustrated and casted him out into the lake leaving the bail open on the reel while i went up to the house to get needle nose, when i came back and reeled him in i was shocked to find a 2 foot lake monster on my line, ran back and got my dad turned out it was a Northern Pike, dad said somebody prob put it in the lake, i dont know but it was a shock for an 10 year old that had never caught anything more than panfish, catfish, and largemouths

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Yesterday fishing at a man-made lake at a nice park with my girfriend. We were fishing but not getting any bites but in a smaller area sort of closed off from the main part of the lake we saw tons of fish hitting the surface, so naturally we went to where they are hungry. well we got over to a spot and i see a stick bobber sitting in the water without a pole or anyone nearby. so i say oh cool free bobber, just gotta get it out of the water. so i cast out near the bobber and i turn to my girlfriend and say "wouldn't it be hilarious if there was a fish on this?" she says something to the effect of yea right and laughs. well i reel my hook in to the bobber and catch the line that it was still attached to and low and behold....the bobber started fighting me!

i wouldn't have believed it if i didn't do it formyslef but i pulled in this small 6-8 inch long catfish on the end of this friggin bobber! i was amazed. this kid saw me pull it in and yelled across the water "what is that?!" (he was to far away to make out the species) to which i replied "a catfish" he then says "what are you using?" "i said nuthing! i saw a bobber floating and i wanted it and there was this fish on the end of the line!"

whoever lost this fish was doin somethin weird tho because this fish had swallowed 2 hooks. i got one out, but not without pulling some of the fish with it, (this hook was in fish stomach good, i have no idea how long this fish was sitting there setting the hook deeper). so i figured since i pulled fish out with the hook he was a goner, and didn't bother with the second hook. well i threw it in the water and he disappeared. he was pretty good at playing dead cuz even when i pulled flesh he didn't move. so i felt kind of bad i didn't get the second hook.

either way i was amazed that i reeled in a catfish while i was simply trying to rescue a perfectly good bobber.

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Yesterday fishing at a man-made lake at a nice park with my girfriend. We were fishing but not getting any bites but in a smaller area sort of closed off from the main part of the lake we saw tons of fish hitting the surface, so naturally we went to where they are hungry. well we got over to a spot and i see a stick bobber sitting in the water without a pole or anyone nearby. so i say oh cool free bobber, just gotta get it out of the water. so i cast out near the bobber and i turn to my girlfriend and say "wouldn't it be hilarious if there was a fish on this?" she says something to the effect of yea right and laughs. well i reel my hook in to the bobber and catch the line that it was still attached to and low and behold....the bobber started fighting me!

i wouldn't have believed it if i didn't do it formyslef but i pulled in this small 6-8 inch long catfish on the end of this friggin bobber! i was amazed. this kid saw me pull it in and yelled across the water "what is that?!" (he was to far away to make out the species) to which i replied "a catfish" he then says "what are you using?" "i said nuthing! i saw a bobber floating and i wanted it and there was this fish on the end of the line!"

whoever lost this fish was doin somethin weird tho because this fish had swallowed 2 hooks. i got one out, but not without pulling some of the fish with it, (this hook was in fish stomach good, i have no idea how long this fish was sitting there setting the hook deeper). so i figured since i pulled fish out with the hook he was a goner, and didn't bother with the second hook. well i threw it in the water and he disappeared. he was pretty good at playing dead cuz even when i pulled flesh he didn't move. so i felt kind of bad i didn't get the second hook.

either way i was amazed that i reeled in a catfish while i was simply trying to rescue a perfectly good bobber.

From what I have always been told and what I have read you could have just snipped the line and the stomach would have dissolved the hook. The amount of time varies from different researches but it looks like it takes a few days to a week.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    From what I have always been told and what I have read you could have just snipped the line and the stomach would have dissolved the hook. The amount of time varies from different researches but it looks like it takes a few days to a week.

That's what I do with catfish because I don't eat them, I've always been told catfish can disolve almost anything, so leaving a hook in their stomach won't kill them.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland

hmm never heard of that. thanks for the tip. thats what i ended up doin with the second hook. but since i pulled a little bit of gut with the first hook, (his mouth was real small and that hook was wrapped around his innards pretty good), his fate is unknown to me. it happens tho. the seagulls may get him and the cycle will continue.

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    While in college I lived in my grandparents vacation home on High Rock Lack in North Carolina. I would fish for channel cat off the doc early in the morning. While fishing one morning I heard some noise in the water beside the dock I turn around just in time to see a cottin mouth climb out of the water onto the dock. I said hell with this I out. By the time I got back to the dock with my good old 870 the snake was gone and so was one of my poles! About a week later my cousin was over fishing with me and he caught a 10lb cat with a second hook in his mouth with line. We started pulling the line and there it was my pole!! Still have the pole 15 years later!

Top Bottom