• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    So I get back home today and my house was kinda warm. I can hear the blower running on the heating/ac unit in the utility room but I noticed there really isn't any output from the vents. I opened the door to access the filter and it came right out. It the hits me, that shouldn't of happened with the fan running. After looking and feeling around the unit, it seems like the fan is trying to pull air from other areas of the unit. Has anyone else ran into an issue like this? The filter is fairly clean so that shouldn't be the issue.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So I get back home today and my house was kinda warm. I can hear the blower running on the heating/ac unit in the utility room but I noticed there really isn't any output from the vents. I opened the door to access the filter and it came right out. It the hits me, that shouldn't of happened with the fan running. After looking and feeling around the unit, it seems like the fan is trying to pull air from other areas of the unit. Has anyone else ran into an issue like this? The filter is fairly clean so that shouldn't be the issue.

Is the evap. coil frozen up.
    Is the blower turning the right way.
    Is it up to speed.

Last edited:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Shut the power switch off and check the blower wheel. Make sure the the wheel hasn’t become loose on the shaft or come apart. Turn the power back on and turn the fan on. Verify the motor is starting and running. It could be as simple as the blower motor going out or the capacitor being weak.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I went to a friend of a friends place for no ac. Suction line frosted over as soon as the outdoor came on. Went inside, found a new filter.....odd. Husband had pulled the blower door off the electric furnace. Genius. I put it back on and went back outside to look at pressures and temps. Still way off. Homeowner comes out and asks about crappy air flow?...blower was running fine when I put the door back on. Went back in and found a access door in the riser box under the furnace. Pulled the access door and put my camera phone in and snapped a shot of the evap.... bingo! Impacted coil. Guess that’s what happens when you have 10 dogs in the house and a chinchilla in a 6’ cage in front of the furnace with no filter door. I pulled and cleaned the coil, but it was the most expensive lesson in filter changing they ever had.

I recommended cleaning the house with five gallons of kerosene and a pad of matches and told my buddy he better warn me before referring me to anymore “friends” like that.

also reminded me why I hate doing residential work.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I went to a friend of a friends place for no ac. Suction line frosted over as soon as the outdoor came on. Went inside, found a new filter.....odd. Husband had pulled the blower door off the electric furnace. Genius. I put it back on and went back outside to look at pressures and temps. Still way off. Homeowner comes out and asks about crappy air flow?...blower was running fine when I put the door back on. Went back in and found a access door in the riser box under the furnace. Pulled the access door and put my camera phone in and snapped a shot of the evap.... bingo! Impacted coil. Guess that’s what happens when you have 10 dogs in the house and a chinchilla in a 6’ cage in front of the furnace with no filter door. I pulled and cleaned the coil, but it was the most expensive lesson in filter changing they ever had.

I recommended cleaning the house with five gallons of kerosene and a pad of matches and told my buddy he better warn me before referring me to anymore “friends” like that.

also reminded me why I hate doing residential work.

I have pulled indescribable crap off of the evap in a house with cats/dogs and god knows what else.
    The blower was filled as well.

Me.....you really need to start using a filter in the furnace.
    Them....Why...???

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have pulled indescribable crap off of the evap in a house with cats/dogs and god knows what else.

Them....Why...???

You: well, it's a lot cheaper than hiring me to fix it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Them....Why...???
    "because (hands them the bill) this amount you are paying me would have bought you several years of filters. But thank you."

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I *Try* to make a point of figuring out how things work so the simple stuff I can fix myself,
    And I usually accumulate some spare parts to do so.

I just don't have the manifold sets or coolant for AC work...

Lightening got the outdoor condenser unit and cooked a capacitors, fan motor and one switch.
    A week later the freon filter rusted through, so I called the service tech.
    He was amazed I could do the electrical work myself, and had the spare parts on hand to do so.
    I told him everything was on eBay for cheap in surplus stocks, I even had a new compressor for it but I would have to get a service tech to attach lines, clear and charge the system.

AC isn't my thing, but electrical is a snap for me, so I do what I can...
    Including cleaning my A coil and filter changes.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    We have 3 dogs in the house so I stay on filters and keep blow out the everything when I change the filter every month.

The fan moves the same direction at the arrow sticker on fan housing. I started feeling around the back of the unit and you can feel a strong a air flow coming out the back top when the fan turns on. Is there a chance there's a door that should open when the fan turns on?

As far as the coil being frozen up, I didn't see anything frosted over.

I really do appreciate all the input from everyone. Worst comes to worst I'll just have to put in a service call Tuesday so I don't have to pay for a "emergency" service call.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There should be no air leaks that side of the discharge registers.

Is the outdoor unit running. I forgot to ask.

I will be out in the "Burg" Tuesday afternoon.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    There should be no air leaks that side of the discharge registers.

Is the outdoor unit running. I forgot to ask.

I will be out in the "Burg" Tuesday afternoon.

The outside unit runs and sounds normal.

I'm going to leave everything shut down for the night and try it again in the morning in case something is frozen and I'm not seeing it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The outside unit runs and sounds normal.

Interesting. Besides the obvious air leak you describe it is just so hard to diagnose over the interwebs.

If you can wait until Tuesday I can help. If not no worries but do check back and let the class know what was found.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah, let it sit then try. If you get air flow through the registers and then lose it, it's the coil. Mine used to freeze, but you couldn't tell unless you looked at the coil. The lines showed no frost.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Interesting. Besides the obvious air leak you describe it is just so hard to diagnose over the interwebs.

If you can wait until Tuesday I can help. If not no worries but do check back and let the class know what was found.

I grew up without central air so I'm fine going without but the wife on the other hand, well you couldn't tell she was ever a farm girl from outside of Churubusco. Lol

Top Bottom