• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    So I got up today and turned everything on and its running fine now. I'm not feeling any airflow out of the back of the unit and everything is coming out the vents like it should. My only guess would be that it was froze up as others suggested.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    So I got up today and turned everything on and its running fine now. I'm not feeling any airflow out of the back of the unit and everything is coming out the vents like it should. My only guess would be that it was froze up as others suggested.

Yeah given the symptoms you’ve shared I’d say that the most likely possibility. Now there’s only about a half dozen things could cause that.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I have pulled indescribable crap off of the evap in a house with cats/dogs and god knows what else.
    The blower was filled as well.

Me.....you really need to start using a filter in the furnace.
    Them....Why...???

went on a call about 20 years ago with no air flow......coil was plugged up.....ask the homeowner if he changed his filter and said yes he just turned it around because it was only dirty on one side.....:n00b:....true story....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    went on a call about 20 years ago with no air flow......coil was plugged up.....ask the homeowner if he changed his filter and said yes he just turned it around because it was only dirty on one side.....:n00b:....true story....

Kinda like a flat tire... "It's only flat on the one side!" :):

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy

My mom did that after she moved into her house several years ago. The previous owner had several dogs, and she said it was full of hair, so she turned it to the clean side. After I had some choice words with her, I explained why she shouldn't have done that. She replied, oh I probably didn't want to do that, did I? :facepalm: Now I take care of the filter...and this reminds me...its due.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

They freeze up for a reason.
    Low air flow. Low refrigerant charge level. Something causes it.
    You need to get it looked at because they do not heal themselves.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    They freeze up for a reason.
    Low air flow. Low refrigerant charge level. Something causes it.
    You need to get it looked at because they do not heal themselves.

It's probably due for a recharge. The house is about 10 years old and we have been here coming up on three years. From what installation/service stickers I can find, it looks like it's the original from when the house was built.

I don't know why, but I never thought to check the in intake vent up stairs till now to see if there was any kind of blockage up there messing with the air flow. I should probably do that tonight.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    It's probably due for a recharge. The house is about 10 years old and we have been here coming up on three years. From what installation/service stickers I can find, it looks like it's the original from when the house was built.

I don't know why, but I never thought to check the in intake vent up stairs till now to see if there was any kind of blockage up there messing with the air flow. I should probably do that tonight.
    Check all the return and supply registers, it's cheap.
    If the charge is low, it has a leak.
    Normally, it would be a sealed system and never need to be "topped off"

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Mine wasn't cooling the house the other day (new compressor this winter, and the company over charged/filled the system when they put it in operation...doh!). Sure enough, I could see ice on the pipe entering the unit. Shut it down, and opened it up---the filter had gotten sucked up against the coils...and there was a nice layer of wet dust all over the vanes. Cleaned it and nice and cool again.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Check all the return and supply registers, it's cheap.
    If the charge is low, it has a leak.
    Normally, it would be a sealed system and never need to be "topped off"

So the refrigerant doesn't need recharging like a car's does after so many years or when they say recharge, they mean refill because of a possible leak?

I pulled the cover off air return upstairs. Someone put some type of homemade filter in there. Looking at it, you can tell it wasn't store bought. Airflow through the vents it noticeably alot better now. I'm hoping that was source of all my problems.

The wife and I are planning on having it looked at, it just the fact we both work such long days (12+hours) its hard to be home during business hours. This time of year with the track and all the other events going on in the area, getting a day off without flat out calling off is next to impossible.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Even on a car, the need to "recharge" the refrigerant is because it has leaked out of the system. It is much more difficult to seal an automotive system because the compressor has a shaft that extends from the housing so it can be driven by the engine. On a home type compressor (central air, window air conditioner, or refrigerator) the motor and pump are all enclosed in a sealed housing. therefore when the pump seals leak, it doesn't vent into the air and be lost. Because of this construction type, it is much less likely for a home system to leak.
    --Rick

Top Bottom