• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slovpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hey guys. I am 17 and recently joined. I have made my introduction. I have joined this forum for questions on guns, obviously. Now, I am 17 and will be turning 18 next January. I want a handgun for a graduation or birthday present.

Should I get a new or used handgun? I am going with 9mm as everyone uses it, its easy to control for faster follow up shots. Now, I have shot neither of these. My father gets his first handgun, a glock 17 in about a week and a half. So, I will shoot this for a while.

I cannot afford, or my parent afford cant buy me some Wilson combat 1911 that's 3k plus. This handgun will be used for conceal carry, home defense, and tactical training mounted onto a belt. So, I want a handgun that can do both, but also be concealable on regular clothes. I dont mind if it sticks out a bit, it just need to fit.

I have done research on both handguns extensively, and I like the glock for the reputation and modularity of conversion kits, along with the 33rd magazines.

I like the MP due to sights and talked about ergonomics. I am going to a gun store hopefully with my father to try both of them out.

What should I look for in both for comparison? My father doesn't know alot about guns and I had to talk him down to a G17 or at least a 9mm for cost and training reasons. He is deaf so he is at a disadvantage naturally. He originally wanted a .45.

Anyways, what are your experiences with both, which way would you lean, and why? I know if all comes down to my decision, but I want fellow gun owners opinions before I make a significant purchase.

EDIt: I would consider carrying a g17 concealed. I am sure i could do it during the summer and winter.

Last edited:

Slovpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I am not going to carry this handgun until I am 18. I wouldn't even get it until then. However, I would still like to get information so, when that time does come, I can make the best informed decision. - Slov

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I am not going to carry this handgun until I am 18. I wouldn't even get it until then. However, I would still like to get information so, when that time does come, I can make the best informed decision. - Slov
    Making sure, there have been quite a few underage trolls trying to break the law(s). Granted, the laws are pretty stupid, but we are still law abiding citizens right :)

That said, go for a glock 19. It's really hard to beat.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    Those are two good guns but I would not limit my thinking to just those two. There are many fine 9mm guns out there. I suggest you go to a gun store and see how various guns fit your hands and how they feel. No one else can tell you how a gun will feel in your hands.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Hey guys. I am 17 and recently joined. I have made my introduction. I have joined this forum for questions on guns, obviously. Now, I am 17 and will be turning 18 next January. I want a handgun for a graduation or birthday present.

Receiving your first handgun is a very personal experience. We can give you our opinions, but ultimately you will have to decide what meets your needs the best. And your needs, or perceived needs, could change over time.

My best advice would be to compare the contenders on the range if possible. Even 30 minutes should be enough to help you separate your likes and dislikes about both models.

For reference, here was my experience comparing the two: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rms_why_i_jumped_off_the_glock_bandwagon.html

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Am I legally allowed to advise a minor on guns? Serious question.

So here is my opinion on a couple of guns. Not advice.

I think the glock 19 and the M&P9 are the 2 best combat pistol options on the mArket for a basic shooter on up to a professional warrior.

I base my opinion on these categories:
    - Effectiveness of the caliber
    - ammo capacity
    - price point
    - durability and sustained durability in harsh environments
    - ergonomics
    - ability to find replacement parts, magazines, and accessories with ease
    - ease of operation an no exterior safety levers to manipulate (is optional on the M&P)
    - ability to shoot any brand of ammunition without failures
    - resale value is high and fast sellers

My personal top choice is the M&P because it feels more natural I my hands, I am more accurate with it because of this. Felt recoil is less also because of hand positioning on the gun.
    I own both and am happy to trust my life to either.
    I make any firearms decision by trying one of each type out.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    both are great guns go try them out at a range if you can. very personal decision but I really think you can't go wrong either way. and let me congratulate you on doing your homework and being a mature informed buyer. enjoy!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

Have you ever had any online interaction with the Mosin twins?

Mosinguy is about the same age as this kid, and Mosinowner is only about 13 or 14. Both of them have given and taken some advice from people much older than they are. :ingo:

OP, as to your question really you can't go wrong with either of them.

In my personal opinion I like the Glock over the M&P. I have owned both of them and still own the Glocks. Sold the M&P.

But really it comes down to what fits you best and what can fit your ( or your parents) budget. For the time being I would suggest going out and testing as many pistols as possible to see what you like. You may find one you like much better than either on your list.

Good luck and Welcome to INGO!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

So here is my opinion on a couple of guns. Not advice.

I think the glock 19 and the M&P9 are the 2 best combat pistol options on the mArket for a basic shooter on up to a professional warrior.

I base my opinion on these categories:
    - Effectiveness of the caliber
    - ammo capacity
    - price point
    - durability and sustained durability in harsh environments
    - ergonomics
    - ability to find replacement parts, magazines, and accessories with ease
    - ease of operation an no exterior safety levers to manipulate (is optional on the M&P)
    - ability to shoot any brand of ammunition without failures
    - resale value is high and fast sellers

My personal top choice is the M&P because it feels more natural I my hands, I am more accurate with it because of this. Felt recoil is less also because of hand positioning on the gun.
    I own both and am happy to trust my life to either.
    I make any firearms decision by trying one of each type out.

We need more posts like this ^^^^.

Too many posters just answer in single words (often words that start with a G) without giving any real reason behind the suggestion.

I don't own a Glock 19, but do carry a Glock 23 which is the same size. It's about perfect for me in terms of size and capacity. My biggest caution on a Glock would be to save enough to afford a good quality holster. You should have a good holster for any gun you carry, but you MUST have one for a Glock or any other gun that has no secondary safety or exposed hammer. Anything that catches on that trigger while the gun is being holstered will cause a ND, so please invest in a good holster that will not flex or fold as it ages. Most of us that have carried for years have a drawer full of cheap holsters that we bought before we bought the good ones that work. Buy a good holster from the start and not only will it serve you well, but it will cost less in the long run.

Belts are important too. I think a good belt and holster combo takes 10 ounces at least off the feel of a handgun. A cheap belt will let the holster bounce about amplifying the perceived weight of the gun. How's the old saying go; 'Buy quality and cry once, buy cheap and cry daily'.

BTW, kudos for deciding to carry at 18. My oldest son got his carry permit at 18 and my youngest will get his at 18 as well. Do what you can to be a positive example of why it's Ok for an 18 year old to carry.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I like the ergos and trigger on the M&P better but the glock has more accessory options but in the end whatever you can shoot better is what Id go with. If I had the cash Id own both.

Slovpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Wow, thank you guys for the response. After going to the gun store....I really like the glock 17. The 19 i do not like as my pinkie hangs off a bit and that irritates me so much. The M&P was really nice but the ergonomics felt weird for me. Maybe i was holding it wrong. Now, this was with my father so it was legal.

My father picked up his glock and we went to shoot it the next day. Luckily, we bought the last box of 9mm at Gander off of 65 and we went shooting next day.

We used about half the box, and it was fun! I really like the Gen 4 glock 17. I want to shoot a M&P 9mm and a G19 to compare all three.

Trigger Time, that is my basis for what I am looking for. I am a beginner, but I would love to become a expert. I plan on serving in the military so, I would like to hone some skills down before I go in about a year.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Wow, thank you guys for the response. After going to the gun store....I really like the glock 17. The 19 i do not like as my pinkie hangs off a bit and that irritates me so much. The M&P was really nice but the ergonomics felt weird for me. Maybe i was holding it wrong. /QUOTE]

You must mean the G26. Too bad about the M&P. They do come with3 interchangeable backstraps of different sizes.

Slovpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    No, I meant the 17 and 19. I have larger sized hands so the full size frame fits perfect in my opinion. Could I get a grip extension on the 19? If so, it would be perfect.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    No shiite

If you need an extension on a g19 you must have gorilla hands.

You must be a beast of a man. Can I call on you for support when needed? Christ, im 6'1" and 230 and a 19 does me perfect. You my friend are a manchild, take that as a compliment.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You must be a beast of a man. Can I call on you for support when needed? Christ, im 6'1" and 230 and a 19 does me perfect. You my friend are a manchild, take that as a compliment.

Giant_Hand_Slap_Match.jpg

Top Bottom