• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I'm thinking about picking up a G26 to carry around with me instead of my 19. I just have a few basic questions for those of you that carry the 26.

1 - How bad is it to shoot without the grip extension? Most of the G26's I see have the grip extensions and I'm curious if it helps your control that much better. The reason I'm looking at getting the 26 is because my 19 prints just a bit too much on the end of the grip and it looks like the 26 would fix this issue.

2 - Can this gun be carried in your pocket comfortably? I'm not talking about not feeling anything at all, just wondering if it feels like a boat anchor when it's in there.

3 - For those of you that have had both, would you go with the Gen3 or Gen4 26?

I really just want to know if it would be worth it to get a 26 or if I should just buy another gun instead.

1) I really dont like it without the extension. And I do not have big hands.
    2) boat anchor. and you would need some big pockets. pocket carry for me is my Sig P238
    3) I have a gen 3 26 and a gen 4 17. I am in love with the stipling on the Gen 4 grips.

Honestly, I would trade up to a Gen 4 19 and skip the 26. ymmv

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Something to consider if you want to use a larger mag for the 26, such as the 19 mag with a filler piece to mate up to the bottom of your pistol. I did that at first when using 23 or 22 mags with my 27. I found that my shooting hand pinky caused the mag to not drop free like the proper mag for the pistol does. The proper mag has a little gap from its back to the back of the pistol and my finger doesn't rub on it. Now I just use the longer mag and it lits and drops just fine. So if you are worried about a quick magazine change consider that.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    My edc is almost alway my g26. Its not bad to shoot and is very accurate for a little gun. It diapears in a crossbreed but so does a g19. The 26 is better riding in the car with the crossbreed though. i carry a g17 back up mag and carry the flat bottom g26 mag mosy of the time. In winter i switch to the pinky mags with +1 so get a better grip with gloves and and extra shoot to boot. I almost never pocket carry it so i cant help you there. Its just doent work for my body build at present. oh and mine is a g3 gun. Though i wouldnt mind a g4 to try out but i think that will be the g19 on my list.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My wife had a G-26...and we sold it and got her a G-19...much better pistol! Accuracy is much better...comfort, feel, etc...improved! Get a different holster for the G-19 and you'll be fine...for a lot less $$! We looked around and got her 3 different holsters, giving her a variety of ways to carry her pistol. She has an IWB holster, a 3-slot belt holster (right side + cross-draw capability) and a pistol pouch for on the belt. She's very happy with her G-19.

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    1) I have absolutely no trouble shooting mine without a pinky extension. In fact, I have a couple mags with the extension and a couple without. I prefer shooting with the flush mag. IMO, there is still plenty to hold onto to get a good solid grip.
    2.) I cannot pocket carry mine at all. I carry it OWB and IWB. I could maybe see carrying it in a cargo pocket, but not regular jeans.
    3.) hard to go wrong with either. I have a gen 3 and its been great for 2,000 rnds so far.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    1 - How bad is it to shoot without the grip extension? Most of the G26's I see have the grip extensions and I'm curious if it helps your control that much better.

To me, primary reason it is harder to accurately shoot a G26 versus a G19 is the G26 has a shorter sight radius. When I switched from a G26 to a G19, I did not notice a huge difference in felt recoil. There was less, but not a huge amount less. Even with an extended mag, a G26 will still likely have a bit more recoil or muzzle flip, because it will still be a bit lighter and have less weight at the muzzle.

my 19 prints just a bit too much on the end of the grip and it looks like the 26 would fix this issue.

I was going to say this sounds like a holster issue, but then you followed the original post with a comment about your holster (a good choice) and noted that it "barely prints". So really, does it print just a bit too much or barely at all?

Can this gun be carried in your pocket comfortably?

Not in most pants.

For those of you that have had both, would you go with the Gen3 or Gen4 26?

I am fairly certain Glock does not yet make a Gen IV G26.

I really just want to know if it would be worth it to get a 26 or if I should just buy another gun instead.

I had a G26 and replaced it with a G19. To me, if you are going to carry a 9MM Glock and cannot comfortably conceal a G17, then the G19 is the best choice. Once I got rid of my G26, I realized just how pointless of a gun it is. I have opined on this subject a bunch of times.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...e_vs_subcompact_vs_compact-2.html#post1398946

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/123546-recommended_compact_9_a-5.html#post1536737

Finally, if you have the funds and want to buy a new gun, then buy a new gun. It kind of sounds like you want to regardless and you have not convinced me that your G19 needs to be replaced....though you sure seem to want to give it a brother.

Anyway, good luck. And BTW, I am selling my Glock. I carry a Kahr now.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I carry a G26, but I haven't carried a G19.

However:
    1) I swapped out the factory magazine floorplates with GAP floorplates and it made it big difference in controlability without increasing the length of the magazine/grip like grip extensions do. You can see them here:
    G A P H O M E

2) IMO it's too big and too heavy for pocket carry. I carry mine IWB with a Crossbreed Supertuck at 3:00, straight-drop, fairly high-rise and I don't have a problem with the grip printing. I'm 32-inch waist, 175 pounds if that helps.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I was going to say this sounds like a holster issue, but then you followed the original post with a comment about your holster (a good choice) and noted that it "barely prints". So really, does it print just a bit too much or barely at all?

I barely prints, but it's enough to make me uncomfortable in some settings. I know that most people don't even look twice, but someone that knows what they're looking for may be able to see it.

It's nothing that stops me from carrying the 19, I was just curious to see if it was beneficial to get a 26 for those times when I need absolutely no printing.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just curious... when people say "pocket carry", they mean with a pocket holster, yeah? I'd never carry a glock/sub-compact glock in a pocket without some sort of retention holster around it. I think there's a thread here somewhere about shooting your junk off...?

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Just curious... when people say "pocket carry", they mean with a pocket holster, yeah? I'd never carry a glock/sub-compact glock in a pocket without some sort of retention holster around it. I think there's a thread here somewhere about shooting your junk off...?

I would never carry a gun in any way without a holster. No matter how many safeties or doodads you put on it...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm thinking about picking up a G26 to carry around with me instead of my 19. I just have a few basic questions for those of you that carry the 26.

1 - How bad is it to shoot without the grip extension? Most of the G26's I see have the grip extensions and I'm curious if it helps your control that much better. The reason I'm looking at getting the 26 is because my 19 prints just a bit too much on the end of the grip and it looks like the 26 would fix this issue.

2 - Can this gun be carried in your pocket comfortably? I'm not talking about not feeling anything at all, just wondering if it feels like a boat anchor when it's in there.

3 - For those of you that have had both, would you go with the Gen3 or Gen4 26?

I have both a G19 and a G26, both are 3rd Gen models. I consider both to be very easily controlled and no problem.

FWIW, a Glock cannot be safely carried unless the trigger is somehow covered by a holster or safety device. If you pocket carry a Glock it should be in a pocket holster.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I pocket carry my g26 every day but I carry it israeli style (without one in the chamber):::added the piece ext and it is great. Due to the angle of the grip it does not add much in overall length...since I got the thei rarely if ever carry the 19...this is mostly due to my wife confiscating it...when not at work I open carry the g26 with a plus 2 ext which gives me eight and I carry a spare glock 19 mag which gives me 15 more...I love how the two can use the same mag and I don't have to show my wife how to use both just one...the 26 feels almost like the same grip with the ext....I would not get rid of the 19 to get the 26 but I would not get rid of the 26 to get a 19...in my system u need both...

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    The difference between a G34, a G19 and a G26 with a Glock +2 extension.

picture.php

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    I think that pic proves that if you want to add the pinky extension, why not just get a 19 and get the added capacity and extra barrel length? I personally conceal my 26 MUCH easier than a 19. I use the factory mags and just that little extra off the grip really helps me conceal it. YMMV

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I have G23, G26, G27. My G27 has been my EDC for over 10 years now, and I carry it in an IWB "tuckable" holster (either Blade-Tech or Raven Concealment systems) just about everyday. The G26 is snappier than the G27, but shoots about the same and, since it is essentially the same pistol in a different caliber, it should be satisfactorily concealable if you take some elementary precautions (don't wear a thin, white shirt, for example). I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one for concealed carry.

INDYFAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Fishers
    I have size15 hands.
    I love my g19.(House gun)
    I love my g26.(EDC)
    I am more accurate with my g26 than my g19.
    I am more accurate without the pinky extensions on both of them.
    Pocket carry: NO WAY!!
    Occasional pocket carry with my PM9, but only with the Nemesis holster. I'm sure there are better pocket holsters though.

Top Bottom