• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    Those would sure make you spill your coffee. At least we won't be paying any hospital bills for them and hopefully no big payout to their families,

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    :scratch: That's what she said. It's news. People's first thoughts might be terrorism but it doesn't seem that was the case, and these fears weren't fueled by a statement suggesting it was.

Very good take on it all. I have to admit I fell in the "jumped to conclusions" group.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I was a young LT stationed at RAFB on 9/11/2001. Good on those guys for taking down an unknown threat. May all our other SFers be inspired that their thankless job is --once in awhile-- a real difference maker.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Until all the facts were in, medical condition or mechanical problems as unlikely possible causes, I was hoping this would be the type of statement I would be reading. Condemning too early would be a international relations blunder.

The problem with her statement is it says she knows what happened, presumes innocence (it would not be a "tragedy" if it were a thwarted attack") without noting that the guys securing the gate did exactly as they were supposed to given the circumstances. It gives the impression they screwed up. She could have issued a statement that the incident will be fully investigated, but when she emotes over a "tragedy"*** but says nothing about the guards, it implicitly points a finger at them. What is not said is also important. I'll bet the SFs took note of this.

*** "Tragedy might be the appropriate word if everyone knows the Greek theater meaning of it, when a character's downfall is due to his own deficiencies, but that's not how the term is used in generally spoken modern English.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I was just thinking that spikes would've been pretty cool. Kind of like a "Vlad the Impaler" defense. Your timing on hitting the "deploy" button would have to be just right though.

The spikes were angled opposite the direction of travel, so impalement of the vehicle was likely either way.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The problem with her statement is it says she knows what happened, presumes innocence (it would not be a "tragedy" if it were a thwarted attack") without noting that the guys securing the gate did exactly as they were supposed to given the circumstances. It gives the impression they screwed up. She could have issued a statement that the incident will be fully investigated, but when she emotes over a "tragedy"*** but says nothing about the guards, it implicitly points a finger at them. What is not said is also important. I'll bet the SFs took note of this.

*** "Tragedy might be the appropriate word if everyone knows the Greek theater meaning of it, when a character's downfall is due to his own deficiencies, but that's not how the term is used in generally spoken modern English.

Good point.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

[video=youtube;MSVTOMkJdqs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSVTOMkJdqs[/video]

If these guys were acting nefarious, then I'm glad the right people died (came here expecting to see opposite). If they were confused, etc., then it's quite an unfortunate tragedy, I'm not in favor of a death penalty (self-imposed here) for overstaying a visa.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    We didn't have those fancy barriers at NOB Norfolk after 9/11. Just some sandbags, Jersey walls and a couple of ma deuces. Everyone complied with the gate guard's instructions.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    The emoting part at the end is probably necessary if she wants to be promoted...

Not saying it's right, but those are probably the guidelines she is operating under.

I could image some older male commander wanting to say "the little brown pr!cks had it coming" or some such.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The emoting part at the end is probably necessary if she wants to be promoted...

Not saying it's right, but those are probably the guidelines she is operating under.

I could image some older male commander wanting to say "the little brown pr!cks had it coming" or some such.

Something like: "That colonel is general material"?

Having drafted more than my fair share of press releases over the years (in admittedly different situations), you keep it neutral- no expressions of approval, disapproval, regret, sorrow, sympathy...until you know enough about the circumstances to make an intelligent statement.

There is a wide, wide gulf between "thoughts and prayers for the family" which implies some level of innocence and "damned terrorists had it coming."

Neutral...it's not hard.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    And this, folks, is why “storming area 51” was such a stupid idea. That last 50 mph impact into the wedge barrier was utterly devastating. Especially when hitting the barrier with a few bullet holes in you.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    And this, folks, is why “storming area 51” was such a stupid idea. That last 50 mph impact into the wedge barrier was utterly devastating. Especially when hitting the barrier with a few bullet holes in you.

....and because Area 51 guards are using vaporizing particle-beam lasers and de-materializing pulse rifles.
    You don't want to mess with alien tech.

mCudBte.gif

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Your age might be showing. They haven't been "Air Police" since 1966. :)

ETA: Chuck Norris was an Air Policeman.

You are right on the button. I was Honorably discharged June 1966.
    The day I remember the most.
    I was stationed to Wiesbaden AFB. Germany. The next day (day 2) President John F. Kennedy's three 707s landed on our base. We were ordered to wear our Class A all the time. The base was shut down. When he returned from Berlin. There was over 10K+ Germans along the flight line. NOT one attempted to enter. Then as he climbed up the stair case to his aircraft. They all began to sing, Auf Wiedersehen.

Top Bottom