• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I disagree. There's a lot of good reasons to carry a 2nd gun. Be it a small 380 or even another .45.
    Today's guns are more reliable than "the days of yore", but they still can, and do, malfunction.
    And I'm not even mentioning being able to arm your buddy or family member either.

I can count the number of times my M&P9 has malfunctioned out of my ~4k rounds with no hands. No hands because the number is zero. I'm not sure what you are carrying, but maybe you should think about changing. Modern guns (particularly polymer guns) are incredibly reliable.

As to arming a buddy of family member...1) if they aren't carrying themselves I'm assuming they aren't into carrying and shooting and probably cannot do either well as a result, 2) why would I give a gun to someone who hasn't thought through what to do with a firearm in a defensive use situation/doesnt carry/doesnt shoot often, 3) in a rapid, violent encounter where I would need to draw and use my gun...how exactly am I supposed to have the time to hand a firearm to someone else? Are we going to flip a table in the restaurant over for "cover" and toss each other mags for reloads too? What is this, a 90's action movie??

OR deal with an injured dominant arm that's now non-functional. Most folks I know carry somewheres around their strong side hip area. Now, let's make that strong side arm non-functional due to getting stabbed or shot. I know I can't bring my left arm even close to reaching around to draw my primary arm at the 3-4 o'clock position I carry it in.

Seriously? You must be a really big dude. I'm your average 5'9" 175lbs and I can easily reach my opposite side.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Blueboxer is just being nice. Yes. I for one am saying that, if you carry more than one handgun as a CCW type, you are drinking the TactiKool-Aid. :draw:

Carrying two guns came from the days of yore when handguns were notoriously unreliable. That is simply not the case anymore unless you're buying sub-par equipment. Unless you're a DevGru operator, SWAT officer, or a cop operating in a notoriously violent area, carrying an extra gun is just silly given the incredibly low chances your gun is going to break. The only reason it makes sense for the aforementioned guys to carry "back ups" is that they are carrying rifles, shotguns, or subguns, and carrying a pistol is a natural supplement to longer guns for reasons far beyond reliability. ( i.e transitioning to close quarters, etc) To be correct, they aren't even "back ups". They are secondary weapons. Carrying a glock to back up your M&P makes about as much sense as towing a Honda behind you just in case your Toyota breaks down.

Golly, I've never even read one of the articles from that web site, but apparently I've been drinking their kool-aid.

Now why am I still so thirsty?

You opinions on carrying more than one gun are noted, as is your apparently limited perspective on valid reasons why a person might choose to carry multiple guns. Thanks!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I can count the number of times my M&P9 has malfunctioned out of my ~4k rounds with no hands. No hands because the number is zero. I'm not sure what you are carrying, but maybe you should think about changing. Modern guns (particularly polymer guns) are incredibly reliable.

As to arming a buddy of family member...1) if they aren't carrying themselves I'm assuming they aren't into carrying and shooting and probably cannot do either well as a result, 2) why would I give a gun to someone who hasn't thought through what to do with a firearm in a defensive use situation/doesnt carry/doesnt shoot often, 3) in a rapid, violent encounter where I would need to draw and use my gun...how exactly am I supposed to have the time to hand a firearm to someone else? Are we going to flip a table in the restaurant over for "cover" and toss each other mags for reloads too? What is this, a 90's action movie??

Seriously? You must be a really big dude. I'm your average 5'9" 175lbs and I can easily reach my opposite side.

Take this class: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...e-hand-manipulations-18oct14-terre-haute.html

You'll quickly discover I know what I'm talking about.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011

You should make a youtube video of you drawing from retention holsters or IWB holsters from the 4 o'clock with your non dominant hand. I'm sure we will all learn something or at least be entertained.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You should make a youtube video of you drawing from retention holsters or IWB holsters from the 4 o'clock with your non dominant hand. I'm sure we will all learn something or at least be entertained.

Will it be easy and fast? Well of course not. But the way you phrased it you said you couldn't reach, which was rather surprising.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Will it be easy and fast? Well of course not. But the way you phrased it you said you couldn't reach, which was rather surprising.

The way i phrased what? If you can't quickly and easily reach your firearm its not going to be much help is it?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Take this class: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...e-hand-manipulations-18oct14-terre-haute.html

You'll quickly discover I know what I'm talking about.
    I am curious how many have to go to back up guns. I would put money on it being a tiny percentage. Most violent encounters caught on any type of media are not some ridiculous gun fight the movies would have you believe.

Should you carry a back up pistol? Sure. Are you irresponsible for not carrying one, I really don't think so.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County

5'4", 240 ish. Long torso, short arms for my torso. And my chest is about 48 or so.

Reaching across to my strong side holster ain't happening. And, from other responses, it's not happening for quite a few others, either.

God doesn't use a master mold for copies. We're all unique.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I am curious how many have to go to back up guns. I would put money on it being a tiny percentage. Most violent encounters caught on any type of media are not some ridiculous gun fight the movies would have you believe.

Should you carry a back up pistol? Sure. Are you irresponsible for not carrying one, I really don't think so.

Whether you carry a weak hand BUG or not you should train to use one, along with training weak hand manipulation of your strong side gun. It's too late when your strong side hand is incapacitated, be it from the fight or any random unrelated injury. You still have to be able to defend yourself with either hand by itself.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Is a backup gun only for if your primary malfunctions?

I carry a backup in such a way I can get to it in situations I can't easily get to my primary. Seat belted in, for example. Holding it in the holster while someone tries to disarm me, for example. Having a handle little revolver may make those scenarios go your way a bit easier.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Whether you carry a weak hand BUG or not you should train to use one, along with training weak hand manipulation of your strong side gun. It's too late when your strong side hand is incapacitated, be it from the fight or any random unrelated injury. You still have to be able to defend yourself with either hand by itself.

What if I don't have a weak hand? ;)
    Is a backup gun only for if your primary malfunctions?

I carry a backup in such a way I can get to it in situations I can't easily get to my primary. Seat belted in, for example. Holding it in the holster while someone tries to disarm me, for example. Having a handle little revolver may make those scenarios go your way a bit easier.
    Is an inability to get to a primary a software issue rather than a hardware issue? (I really don't know, asking the collective here)

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Fact: some trainers should take a course in critical thinking before deciding to become a writer in order to avoid filling their "writing" with arguments based on logical fallacies.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Fact: some trainers should take a course in critical thinking before deciding to become a writer in order to avoid filling their "writing" with arguments based on logical fallacies.

When you are trying to make money writing articles, one thing is consistant, you have to think up and write an article before the deadline, month after month. Even the best writers that usually have pretty good articles churn out a slug every once and a while. Of course some turn out crap time after time.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    When you are trying to make money writing articles, one thing is consistant, you have to think up and write an article before the deadline, month after month. Even the best writers that usually have pretty good articles churn out a slug every once and a while. Of course some turn out crap time after time.

An excellent reason to have some training before a person writes--even if he's self-publishing on his own blog.

As illogical as this particular article is (in addition to the rumors that he blocks all disagreeing individuals), I can't help but think that this one is the rule rather than the exception.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What if I don't have a weak hand? ;)

Is an inability to get to a primary a software issue rather than a hardware issue? (I really don't know, asking the collective here)

Nope. Wear your seat belt with a jacket on. Is an ankle holster faster or slower than a belt holster? Now walk down the sidewalk and see which is faster.

Top Bottom