• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Nope. Wear your seat belt with a jacket on. Is an ankle holster faster or slower than a belt holster? Now walk down the sidewalk and see which is faster.

It is faster to remove a primary from the front seat or a holster between the console and seat. I mean, if we are war gaming this.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It is faster to remove a primary from the front seat or a holster between the console and seat. I mean, if we are war gaming this.
    IMHO, it's always faster to go with your routine carry practice. In other words, no car holsters unless they are in addition to your EDC. Your primary weapon system is always placed the same, standing, sitting, driving, riding, etc. Different placement faster on the draw may not be faster when you need to draw.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Dunno. I don't off body carry, nor do I change my carry methods day to day. I always know where both of my guns are, I routinely practice and have good muscle memory on board, and I don't like to screw with that. There are times and situations where getting to your primary just may not be possible. I know a fellow officer who was ambushed, knocked down, and had the bad guy try to get his gun out of the holster. There is no way in poo that getting a gun out of a retention holster that you're fighting another guy for is faster than using your off hand to access a second gun and aerate him. His primary gun wasn't broken, but was still out of the fight at that time.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Fact: some trainers should take a course in critical thinking before deciding to become a writer in order to avoid filling their "writing" with arguments based on logical fallacies.

When you are trying to make money writing articles, one thing is consistant, you have to think up and write an article before the deadline, month after month. Even the best writers that usually have pretty good articles churn out a slug every once and a while. Of course some turn out crap time after time.

While all traines/gun writers etc have a point or two even if you don't like everything it's usually about personality than anything else and how they come across. What consumes most trainers/gun writers and derails them is their own ego. When you listen to some of them (or about 99% of the home grown ones on Youtube) and they brag about feats of Master Jedi skills and abilities and their world attentiveness not to mention they also saved a kid and cured cancer or whatever.

While some simply regurgitate what they have "read or watched on Youtube" some actually know what they talk about but again their own ego turns folks off.

The great trainers realize this. They are teaching A WAY not THE WAY, If most would save trying to deliver the source of salvation for a Preacher instead of dazzling everyone with Mall Nija or Tactical Johnnie BS.

Also being able to articulate the topic and speaking infront of folks goes a lot farther than mad skills with shooting a nats eye out. Just be confident but don't cross it into conceded.

JMHO and I am an instructor for an agency and have instructed in the Military and for LE for 28 years to a very diverse background and skill level. I have seen a lot, good, bad and hilarious but, I will be the first to tell you I don't know everything and see things and learn stuff everytime I step on a line. Its all how you come across and in touch that counts.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    IMHO, it's always faster to go with your routine carry practice. In other words, no car holsters unless they are in addition to your EDC. Your primary weapon system is always placed the same, standing, sitting, driving, riding, etc. Different placement faster on the draw may not be faster when you need to draw.
    True, however, if someone goes for my primary handgun, I will likely not be able to draw it. You put your hands on my holstered handgun, I'm clamping down on it, keeping it in the holster. While I'm doing that I grab my back-up handgun, I carry it in such a way that it is accessible with my support hand, and address the threat. Now off-duty, I carry my handguns appendix and have done so for 17 years. When we shoot our off-duty quals I always draw from that position and with it covered, forming muscle memory. With enough practice, these issues can be addressed.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    The article in the OP.

The guy who wrote it might be a good shooting instructor, but he's lousy at writing persuasive essays. It's full of anecdotal evidence, false dichotomies, loaded language, and it presents a new thesis in the conclusion.

It's garbage.
    Agreed. It's condescending and aggressive as well.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The article in the OP.

The guy who wrote it might be a good shooting instructor, but he's lousy at writing persuasive essays. It's full of anecdotal evidence, false dichotomies, loaded language, and it presents a new thesis in the conclusion.

It's garbage.

It is hard to respond to your psuedo intellectual garbage without sounding like I am defending Gabe, so I won't bother.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    While all traines/gun writers etc have a point or two even if you don't like everything it's usually about personality than anything else and how they come across.

I think its quite possible its on purpose. The same way the media calls it "a story" instead of "the truth", they know the narrative sells. If you're controversial, you'll gather more attention, which increases your exposure, which increases your "celebrity", which ultimately results in increasing your income. The "my gun is best and you're a poo poo head dummy" article/video rant/ is the gun world equivalent of a sex tape.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I read the article and I think i had a different take on it. I hate to bring up racing again buuuuuut…. I spoke with some nascar drivers. One of the drivers was a brand new kid and one was a seasoned champion guy. The brand new kid was envious of the champion guy. He felt that he set his car up well with what he had, but the other guy was given everything that would make him faster. The champion guy was envious of the kid as he didn't have to run whatever ****ty product the sponsor came out with. The champion guy explained much like Gabe, it's not the turd your dealt, its the amount of practice you take to get good at using it. He didn't become a champion driving the most tricked out of vehicles right off the bat, he drove turds…and drove them well enough to get recognized. He feels that his cars now are crap because they have a bunch of stuff on them that he doesn't want. He felt the only reason he gets minutely faster every year is practice and not stuff.

I think the crux of the story is play the hand you're dealt. Be happy that you have a hand to play and If you chose not to play you automatically lose. Lots of Mil/Police people (people forced to use a certain gun) cry about issued guns and just want to qualify and be done instead of making themselves good with the hand they were dealt. In Civ world some people end up chasing a unicorn constantly buying the next best thing instead of getting good with what they have. I may be off, but that was my take on it.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I think its quite possible its on purpose. The same way the media calls it "a story" instead of "the truth", they know the narrative sells. If you're controversial, you'll gather more attention, which increases your exposure, which increases your "celebrity", which ultimately results in increasing your income. The "my gun is best and you're a poo poo head dummy" article/video rant/ is the gun world equivalent of a sex tape.

I know you said it, but I wonder if even you know how right you are.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    The "my gun is best and you're a poo poo head dummy" article/video rant/ is the gun world equivalent of a sex tape.
    Is this why people love/hate nutnfancy? The non-top 40 music and 15.5 of 20 minutes of video of a table in his house with the actual thing he's reviewing being played with while he talks???

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Ok, everyone knows muscles don't have memories right?

Next I would like to look at this quote, "Avoid external safeties such as thumb and grip safeties. Time and again I have seen them missed by the shooter, and not be disengaged in hard drills. They are NOT safer, they just make it harder for you to use them under duress."

"A safety is always an enabler, never a disabler." Pat Mac.

These two schools are in direct conflict with one another and it is easy to see why. One caters to amateurs and the other to professionals. This is (again) not a hardware issue, rather it is a software issue. If Gabe panders to the masses with hyperbolic staments like this more I will likely look elsewhere for information.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    These two schools are in direct conflict with one another and it is easy to see why. One caters to amateurs and the other to professionals. This is (again) not a hardware issue, rather it is a software issue. If Gabe panders to the masses with hyperbolic staments like this more I will likely look elsewhere for information.

In many (probably most) cases, yes. However, a significant number of people have slushware issues with deactivating grip safeties on their 1911s. This is generally due to the way their hand is shaped combined with taking the highest possible grip on the gun (which is a good thing). Some people are never going to be able to reliably deactivate the grip safety on a 1911 without some modifications to the gun, whether that is timing the safety differently, adding material to the "bump," pinning the grip safety, or just taping over it.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    In many (probably most) cases, yes. However, a significant number of people have slushware issues with deactivating grip safeties on their 1911s. This is generally due to the way their hand is shaped combined with taking the highest possible grip on the gun (which is a good thing). Some people are never going to be able to reliably deactivate the grip safety on a 1911 without some modifications to the gun, whether that is timing the safety differently, adding material to the "bump," pinning the grip safety, or just taping over it.

Slushware, I love it. Isn't the 1911 issue learned in 10 seconds while coonfingering (a gunshow term) a firearm? I guess the real question is who is the article for, new shooters or tactical Timmies?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Blueboxer is just being nice. Yes. I for one am saying that, if you carry more than one handgun as a CCW type, you are drinking the TactiKool-Aid. :draw:

Carrying two guns came from the days of yore when handguns were notoriously unreliable. That is simply not the case anymore unless you're buying sub-par equipment. Unless you're a DevGru operator, SWAT officer, or a cop operating in a notoriously violent area, carrying an extra gun is just silly given the incredibly low chances your gun is going to break. The only reason it makes sense for the aforementioned guys to carry "back ups" is that they are carrying rifles, shotguns, or subguns, and carrying a pistol is a natural supplement to longer guns for reasons far beyond reliability. ( i.e transitioning to close quarters, etc) To be correct, they aren't even "back ups". They are secondary weapons. Carrying a glock to back up your M&P makes about as much sense as towing a Honda behind you just in case your Toyota breaks down.

During a defensive pistol class yesterday, I watched a Gen 4 Glock break a slide-lock one shot into a drill. Would have been a terrible way to realize a backup gun isn't a bad idea.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Slushware, I love it. Isn't the 1911 issue learned in 10 seconds while coonfingering (a gunshow term) a firearm? I guess the real question is who is the article for, new shooters or tactical Timmies?

Depends! For some, grip evolves over time as they learn more. The higher you go on the gun, the better you can manage muzzle flip, but it also increases the chances of having issues with the grip safety as well.

Of couse, my raccoon like hands have a built-in "speed bump" for 1911 grip safetiesat the base of my thumb. It helps me with grip safeties, but it also pushes my hand away farther from the trigger, which compounds the issue of my freakishly short fingers.

The question is a good one! I would say: the paying audience.

Top Bottom