• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I doubt that anyone in one of Gabe's classes is a newbie. I just don't see him teaching a 101 basics class. Could be wrong, but just don't see it.

Define newbie. Just because someone attends a high profile training Class or shoots in matches does not always provide that they have learned or practiced to the point that they can even pass a simple evaluation. From their choice in equipment, self sweeping mistakes, finger issues, scores and temperament I have seen many that should give back the T-shirt.

Please understand that I am not talking about the curriculum or training talent but the absorption and commitment of the student.

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Define newbie. Just because someone attends a high profile training Class or shoots in matches does not always provide that they have learned or practiced to the point that they can even pass a simple evaluation. From their choice in equipment, self sweeping mistakes, finger issues, scores and temperament I have seen many that should give back the T-shirt.

Please understand that I am not talking about the curriculum or training talent but the absorption and commitment of the student.

Thinking about it a little more I will agree with you. Hell I could have taken that class. I wouldn't because I know I am not ready for a class at that level. But I guess I do know some people that would throw money at anything just to say they did it, even though they aren't ready.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Thinking about it a little more I will agree with you. Hell I could have taken that class. I wouldn't because I know I am not ready for a class at that level. But I guess I do know some people that would throw money at anything just to say they did it, even though they aren't ready.

Exactly. Many of today’s Casual Gun Owners Bypass mastering strong fundamentals and go right to the End game as to what they want to use the gun for. Build a strong foundation first and then go for the high dollar T-shirt if you want to. There are many great facilitators right here in Indiana that a CGO can spend less money and more time with which will save you thousands of dollars in wasted ammo, frustration and time along with eliminating the bad habits before they start. The only difference between a CGO and PGO is the level of commitment to the work required..

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Exactly. Many of today’s Casual Gun Owners Bypass mastering strong fundamentals and go right to the End game as to what they want to use the gun for. Build a strong foundation first and then go for the high dollar T-shirt if you want to. There are many great facilitators right here in Indiana that a CGO can spend less money and more time with which will save you thousands of dollars in wasted ammo, frustration and time along with eliminating the bad habits before they start. The only difference between a CGO and PGO is the level of commitment to the work required..

Most of what you have said in this thread is not noteworthy, but you are correct with that statement. Trainers everywhere have been seeing more and more of this. A big part of the problem is that many instructors do not want to teach basics, and other just suck and shouldn't be teaching at all.

jrm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    I have reached out to Gabe a few times trying to get him on my range for a class. I have not gotten any response. If anyone has a contact for him I will host him in 2020.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Thanks OP nice AAR. I see he’ll be in IL & KY (each about 3 1/2 hrs from Indy for folks Interested).

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Most of what you have said in this thread is not noteworthy, but you are correct with that statement. Trainers everywhere have been seeing more and more of this. A big part of the problem is that many instructors do not want to teach basics, and other just suck and shouldn't be teaching at all.

Interesting. I assume this is due to a combination of basic classes not bringing as much revenue per seat, and instructors wanting to feel cool.

I think most instructors are barely qualified to teach much more than the basics. Most probably don't even do that well. A small subset are actually qualified to start on higher-level technical shooting skills. Very few are truly qualified to teach tactics and whatnot.

Maybe my bar is high, but I'm referring to the whole population of people who market themselves as instructors of any kind.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Interesting. I assume this is due to a combination of basic classes not bringing as much revenue per seat, and instructors wanting to feel cool.

I think most instructors are barely qualified to teach much more than the basics. Most probably don't even do that well. A small subset are actually qualified to start on higher-level technical shooting skills. Very few are truly qualified to teach tactics and whatnot.

Maybe my bar is high, but I'm referring to the whole population of people who market themselves as instructors of any kind.

I have seen some poor facilitators in my time. I just watched one recently where the instructor ran through the course (5 yards from the berm) to show off for the newbies. I guess he felt better about charging them money to watch him do what they can't do.

I watched one earlier this year point a gun at himself and the students. When i asked him about it, he said it wasn't loaded.

I watched on last fall that did all classroom and no live fire.

Yes there is good and bad in all people but the secret isn't how many titles hes won or how many beats hes patrolled but does he offer free follow up visits and not charge an arm and a leg and offer one on one private sessions.?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Yes there is good and bad in all people but the secret isn't how many titles hes won or how many beats hes patrolled but does he offer free follow up visits and not charge an arm and a leg and offer one on one private sessions.?

This kinda depends on the subject. Titles may not be important, but the technical skills they demonstrate matter. Its difficult to to teach something if you don't know how to do it correctly yourself. Sometimes a person understands the mechanics and successfully coaches a person to levels beyond their own. Many can do neither.

Free follow ups and low prices don't mean much if the information isnt good.

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    This kinda depends on the subject. Titles may not be important, but the technical skills they demonstrate matter. Its difficult to to teach something if you don't know how to do it correctly yourself. Sometimes a person understands the mechanics and successfully coaches a person to levels behind their own. Many can do neither.

Free follow ups and low prices don't mean much if the information isnt good.

As mentioned earlier I have witnessed poor trainers and this may be for a different thread. Unfortunately our certification level for instructors is unchecked. We must rely on the dignity of the person taking the money that he does a good job for the student. Just like the gun owner that needs to face his fears and own up to the commitment of learning good skills, the trainer must also be a student of the gun and deliver a great product. And as I have always said...there can be no teaching without learning.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

Teaching brand new shooters is tedious and dangerous.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

You pretty much nailed it IMHO. When I was still teaching I had people in class who were not at all good performers who I found out later were actually teaching classes of their own. With a few exceptions most NRA Instructors at the club level (we have a lot of those in MI due to it being required to get your cpl), are absolutely horrible.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    You pretty much nailed it IMHO. When I was still teaching I had people in class who were not at all good performers who I found out later were actually teaching classes of their own. With a few exceptions most NRA Instructors at the club level (we have a lot of those in MI due to it being required to get your cpl), are absolutely horrible.

Those that can't do teach. We all know that.

Top Bottom