• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'll wade in here....Could you do 14 people with one instructor for a "basic pistol safety" class? No, probably not safely , because the student base that level of class attracts simply requires more supervision. But this class is not marketed to nor suggested for people who do not already have a FIRM grasp of drawing and shooting safely and safely handling guns in close proximity to others. This is NOT a basic "learn the fundamentals of how to shoot " class.

Cedar Top can speak with authority on this subject (Gabe White's class and his ability to manage students) as he has taken this class ...and so have I. There is a big difference in the level of folks coming to this class and those going to the typical "tactical 101" class. This class will be an ego beat down for most of the folks that we would have to worry about their gunhandling. The "typical shooter" would be woefully unprepared for this class and Gabe is OK with turning people away who are not ready. In fact the class I was in was populated with some well known (in certain circles) serious instructors and students of the art and there was never any instance of foolish gunhandling. In my class, just off the top of my head, we had John Hearne, Sherman House, Chris Baker (Lucky Gunner), Annette Evans (author of The Dry Fire Primer) , Aqil Qadir (Citizens Safety Academy ) and several other Rangemaster qualified instructors. In fact in my class Gabe handed out 4 Dark pins, 7 Light and 2 Turbo pins. So out of the 14 students 13 got a pin of some sort.

So as to the "can you run 14 people safely?" question. Yes. But Gabe is constantly switched on and everyone else is in class is a" safety officer" too. And like I said...the guys you tend to have to worry about are NOT the ones signing up for a class like this.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I'll wade in here....Could you do 14 people with one instructor for a "basic pistol safety" class? No, probably not safely , because the student base that level of class attracts simply requires more supervision. But this class is not marketed to nor suggested for people who do not already have a FIRM grasp of drawing and shooting safely and safely handling guns in close proximity to others. This is NOT a basic "learn the fundamentals of how to shoot " class.

Cedar Top can speak with authority on this subject (Gabe White's class and his ability to manage students) as he has taken this class ...and so have I. There is a big difference in the level of folks coming to this class and those going to the typical "tactical 101" class. This class will be an ego beat down for most of the folks that we would have to worry about their gunhandling. The "typical shooter" would be woefully unprepared for this class and Gabe is OK with turning people away who are not ready. In fact the class I was in was populated with some well known (in certain circles) serious instructors and students of the art and there was never any instance of foolish gunhandling. In my class, just off the top of my head, we had John Hearne, Sherman House, Chris Baker (Lucky Gunner), Annette Evans (author of The Dry Fire Primer) , Aqil Qadir (Citizens Safety Academy ) and several other Rangemaster qualified instructors. In fact in my class Gabe handed out 4 Dark pins, 7 Light and 2 Turbo pins. So out of the 14 students 13 got a pin of some sort.

So as to the "can you run 14 people safely?" question. Yes. But Gabe is constantly switched on and everyone else is in class is a" safety officer" too. And like I said...the guys you tend to have to worry about are NOT the ones signing up for a class like this.

I can agree with the structure of what your saying and as long as many qualified Talent had my back it would be cool. However. Situational Awareness is an art and even though they may be able to shoot, can they see and will they react to the instant it’s happening? I will always CMA no matter who is in my camp.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

I have been to what 50 or 60 firearms, combatives, and first aid related classes? Most of those were well done and that doesn't count seminar length classes. I can honestly say that Gabe puts on one of if not the best organized and run class I have ever been to. He also caps the number at a lower amount than some of the ex delta superstars classes I have been to. Would he benefit from an assistant like Tom Givens an you usually have? Maybe, but I never felt in any way unsafe in his class.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    4 students Max sounds more like private sessions. I don’t know who would cross state lines for such a small class.

It’s not the size of the class or how far you have to travel or how much moola it cost you. It’s what the student does with the information that counts. Again... I’ve seen many get the tshirt and merit badges but go nowhere with the discipline required to improve accurate and fast shooting.

Top Bottom