• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mattdville16

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2016
    Lizton
    Ya it's sad a big store like this charges what they do when you know they get way better discounts than local stores due to the shear volume they buy!!

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    I had my wife return my Valentines gift to them the other day. I walked the store and found Tula 7.62x39 for $.50/rd!!

I exclaimed... how the hell do they stay in business?

Answer... they don't.

The store in Avon is always empty.

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    I didnt see it in the article which type of bankruptcy they were filing chapter 7 liquidate, or 13 to restructure their debt.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Well, if Bass Pro is buying Cabellas <http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/03/news/companies/bass-pro-shops-cabelas/>, and GM is going under, who do we have left? Seems like Bass Pro just won the lottery and will be the last major big box outdoor/firearm retailer.

Will this be good or bad for the LGSs of the world?

First, you need to learn how to post links.

Second, that buyout is in limbo.

:ingo: No offense.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Didn't know it was a major issue, sir. Does the improved version make you feel better and improve your day or do you prefer the error version so you can flaunt your supreme knowledge and skill?

No offense. Just trying to discover how I can be most helpful to your self-image.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana

I hope so. I have found several good ammo deals from Cabelas over the years where not so much at Bass Pro. But shopping at Bass Pro there is a lot to look at.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow, timing couldn't be more ironic. I just bought my first gun from a big retailer - Gander Mountain - because it was literally a steal. Ok, "literally" in the millennial sense of the word. I didn't really steal it.

But, the Castleton store was busy. Didn't look like it was hurting.

Did talk to the guy about a couple Remington R51s they had in the glass. Not discounted or anything. Dude said no one has ever even asked to look at them.

So, they do have issues keeping non-selling inventory.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Bass Pro Shops is buying Cabela's for $5.5 billion - Oct. 3, 2016

Well, if Bass Pro is buying Cabellas and GM is going under, who do we have left? Seems like Bass Pro just won the lottery and will be the last major big box outdoor/firearm retailer.

Will this be good or bad for the LGSs of the world?

Considering that GM or Cabela's could have used their buying power to undercut LGSs years ago and chose instead to sell for top dollar, what makes you think they are going to start now?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    You gotta be there at the right time to get deals
    last friday
    I bought
    10/22
    ruger 22/45 lite
    ruger mkii target
    sig 226 west german
    $1050 out the door
    They focus too much on new and under price used guns which is where the money is in guns like cars

here n Evansville they had a 22/45 lite
    View attachment 53200
    this exact one, in the new case (all scratched up from goobers fingers) and a used one (in better shape than the new one) both were 499.99!

same price for the used one as the new one! when I questioned them on it they said "that's the price the manager wants to sell them for"

I said good luck with that...about 75.00 more for the new one than at a lgs

one time I was in there and someone was asking about a scope mount for a 870, a manager (wearing a flannel shirt, not a vest like the other employees) said that they could send the shotgun to their "gunsmith" and they could drill and tap the receiver for 10.00 a hole, and the total would be 20.00...when I pointed out that weaver bases(2) have 4 holes, and the total would be 40.00, he said "you only need 1 hole per base".......:dunno:

the only people who buy guns from them, are the people who don't research their guns!...I had a guy walk into the shop I work at, and tell me he was looking for a gun, and when I priced it for him, he asked me about 4 others....when I gave him the price, his exact words were "SON OF A B**CH" I could have bought all 5 from you, for what I paid for 4 from gander mountain!....I said "but you get a free cleaning from gander".....he said I could have bought a cleaning kit from you too, and still spent less!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Aren't they the ones that bought that outdoor store that was based in Plainfield and then promptly closed them? With the prices on their merchandise it would seem to me to be too hard for them to stay in business unless their market was heavily urban. Purely conjecture on my part but do "real" outdoorsmen, women, persons, whatever they identify themselves as go to overpriced places like Gander or is their target audience urban yuppie wannabes? (You DO remember yuppies, don't you?)

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I had my wife return my Valentines gift to them the other day. I walked the store and found Tula 7.62x39 for $.50/rd!!

I exclaimed... how the hell do they stay in business?

Answer... they don't.

The store in Avon is always empty.
    $.50 a round? I feel it's too high when my LGS sells them for $6/20 I can find 7.62 for .23 a round at the next gun store over.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Aren't they the ones that bought that outdoor store that was based in Plainfield and then promptly closed them? With the prices on their merchandise it would seem to me to be too hard for them to stay in business unless their market was heavily urban. Purely conjecture on my part but do "real" outdoorsmen, women, persons, whatever they identify themselves as go to overpriced places like Gander or is their target audience urban yuppie wannabes? (You DO remember yuppies, don't you?)

That was Dicks.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

That was DICK's.

The loss of the corporate Galyan's stores was no big deal, but I still miss the original store in Plainfield.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    That was DICK's.

The loss of the corporate Galyan's stores was no big deal, but I still miss the original store in Plainfield.

So do my dad and I.
    The Plainfield store was where he bought both of his 20 gauge Ithaca 37 shotguns, the first in the 1960s and the second in the 1970s.
    He still has both shotguns.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    The FTW GM,is the worst.....no customer service, way over priced every thing......I was looking for new rings for my Anschutz so I stopped as a last resort......1st the had an M1 carbine for $3200.....Omg........then as I looking at rings,one of there wonderfully skilled employees offered me $150 trade in ,if I bought something in stock.......I just walked out and said never again.....hope they fail big time

Aaron

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The FTW GM,is the worst.....no customer service, way over priced every thing......I was looking for new rings for my Anschutz so I stopped as a last resort......1st the had an M1 carbine for $3200.....Omg........then as I looking at rings,one of there wonderfully skilled employees offered me $150 trade in ,if I bought something in stock.......I just walked out and said never again.....hope they fail big time

Aaron

Dude if you're looking for an M1 Carbine I can set you up with one for $2750 and I'll throw in a couple hundred rounds of ammo and several magazines! 3 carry the 1, I should clear about $2400 on the deal but you'll still be saving a lot over their prices!

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    That was DICK's.

I enjoyed shopping at the original Galyan's, and was saddened by it's closure after Dick's bought them out.

Gander Mountain... not so much.

I suspect they will emerge from bankruptcy, having "shed" their "unsustainable" debt (or, in other words, messing over their creditors).

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    It's a shame when they first came to indy I really liked the store and the non firearm prices were reasonable and a good selection but years later they have went downhill.

dwh79 is right, GM was a great store when they first opened, had decent prices on everything. I bought a couple of guns from them early on, then they decided gun buyers weren't very smart and almost doubled their prices. When you forget customer service and don't check out the competition, bankruptcy happens. They wont be missed by me!!

Top Bottom