• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I stopped in the Evansville store last night. The doors were broken, signage through the store was in rough shape, and most noticeably, a lack of people shopping.

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Was at the Evansville store today, and the entrance doors were still broke. The main reason I went in was because of a big banner outside that said 50% off. I did not see any firearms, or ammo on sale. Not very many people working.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I stopped in the Evansville store last night. The doors were broken, signage through the store was in rough shape, and most noticeably, a lack of people shopping.

Was at the Evansville store today, and the entrance doors were still broke. The main reason I went in was because of a big banner outside that said 50% off. I did not see any firearms, or ammo on sale. Not very many people working.

the door's been broken since febuary 5th at least, I stopped there after I went to pep boys about a leaking tire

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I didnt see it in the article which type of bankruptcy they were filing chapter 7 liquidate, or 13 to restructure their debt.
    Chapter 7 is liquidation and sale of all assets, personal or business. Chapter 11 is business reorganization, lowering debt, rejecting leases and contracts and restructuring a company's financial structure. If an 11 fails, next step is usually a Ch 7. Chapter 13 is a personal bankruptcy for reorganization of personal debt most often used to try to save a house that is usually underwater and the owner is behind on his mortgage and most likely facing foreclosure and usually with heavy credit card debt. If the 13 fails it then usually ends up as a Ch 7. Gander will probably attempt a Ch 11 first, then if all else fails conversion to Ch 7 and sale/liquidate. Enjoy!

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville

Sad. I hate to see people lose their jobs. I enjoyed stopping in on occasion, if nothing more than to look around. Good deals could be had when items were on sale.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Sad. I hate to see people lose their jobs. I enjoyed stopping in on occasion, if nothing more than to look around. Good deals could be had when items were on sale.

Agreed
    That's why I won't be celebrating GM's demise wholeheartedly, not because of what happens to the management refusing to compete for customers, but for the thousands of lower tier employees who will take the brunt of the harm.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Visited the GM shop in the Fort yesterday afternoon. First time I have been there when the sales staff outnumbered the customers. I actually had six different sales folks offer to assist me. Very different experience than previous ones.

I priced 9mm, .380.ACP, and .22LR. The advertised sale price was within a penny or two what I could get online, after I included the shipping costs. The clearance racks were all in the clothing departments, filled with left-over cold-weather clothes. Again, the prices were reasonable for new, start-of-the-season items, but not for end-of-season discounted items.

Rifles and handguns were not discounted in anyway. They did have a new aggressive sales attitude, though. As I said, sales staff ready and willing to assist. Many new banners offering gunsmithing, trade-in options, and price matching on all firearms. There was a great selection of handguns, including many used ones. Surprisingly, they even had a few new and used Taurus items.

I still believe the biggest obstacle to sales is hiding the long guns behind the counter where one cannot see the make, model or price. With that set-up I cannot identify any of the pieces, or assess them in any way without knowing in advance what I want. They did have a good selection of used long guns on display which could be handled, including an interesting SKS complete with bayonet and a Winchester .22LR that looked well aged-by someone who knew how to take care of it. Of course, all were priced like new items.

Bottom line, I cannot see any reason to shop at GM unless you know exactly what you want, have a price you want them to match on your chosen item, and want to handle the unit before you ask them to price match.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    I bet the ATF can't wait to get ahold of those millions of 4473's if they go under.
    GM uses an electronic system to manage their 4473s. You step up to a kiosk and fill out the 4473 using what appears to be a web-based app. To the customer, there is no paper, just electronic records waiting to be hacked by someone.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    GM uses an electronic system to manage their 4473s. You step up to a kiosk and fill out the 4473 using what appears to be a web-based app. To the customer, there is no paper, just electronic records waiting to be hacked by someone.

It took 25 min for them to process my check when it takes my LGS less than 5 min by phone.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    ...Bottom line, I cannot see any reason to shop at GM unless you know exactly what you want, have a price you want them to match on your chosen item, and want to handle the unit before you ask them to price match.
    I agree about knowing exactly what you want and knowing what it should cost. However, I'm not a fan of price matching. If a LGS has what I want in stock for a price I'm OK with, I'll spend my money at the LGS. The only time I do price matching for anything is when I'd rather buy it from that store, and with GM that ain't ever gonna happen.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I still believe the biggest obstacle to sales is hiding the long guns behind the counter where one cannot see the make, model or price. With that set-up I cannot identify any of the pieces, or assess them in any way without knowing in advance what I want. They did have a good selection of used long guns on display which could be handled, including an interesting SKS complete with bayonet and a Winchester .22LR that looked well aged-by someone who knew how to take care of it. Of course, all were priced like new items.

Bottom line, I cannot see any reason to shop at GM unless you know exactly what you want, have a price you want them to match on your chosen item, and want to handle the unit before you ask them to price match.

At face value, I agree. But I frequent our local GM because they have been good to us by letting us advertise our range, and I've seen far too many kids or careless adults handle the new guns and bang them around in the racks. The GM here has been good about price matching, and I confess to having taken advantage of it. Rural King has stuff on sale, but their staff is sometimes lacking. I actually prefer Carson Arms, they support the 4H shooting sports and have one-off rifles from trade-ins or consignments that GM doesn't do.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    They did have a good selection of dies, bullets, and presses on their website, but now there isn't much left. I was looking at a couple guns a few weeks ago, they aren't on there anymore either.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I stopped visiting GM after one of the sales associates took the upper off a S&W M&P 15-22/P and put it on an rifle lower and said it was perfectly acceptable to do so.... I slowly backed away from that NFA violation and never visited again

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I guess I missed the boat. found my gift cards but doors are locked at terre haute

Terre Haute was open today and having that 20% off sale. I talked to an employee who I know and just asked. She said they are not closing and the bankruptcy is just some restructuring. Whatever that is worth to anyone here make your own case

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I was in the Greenfield Gander Mt the other day. I was the only person in the firearms section, possibly the entire store. The stoned idiot behind the counter literally walked up to me 3 times in 5min (while scratching his dirty mane and yawning every 30 seconds) to ask if I needed any help. I finally looked at the guy, laughed smh, put on my sunglasses and walked out...

Top Bottom