• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Apart from their high gun prices, I've always had horrid customer service in the firearms department. I have to go out of my way to get the attention of an employee if I have any questions or would like to see a firearm, and once I actually get my hands on a firearm, they seem belittling and rude. Could be because I'm a little younger than most in the store... :dunno:

In the rest of the store though, the customer service is always great and a lot of their prices on apparel seem fair. Their firearm sales tend to bring some guns down to normal retail price.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Stopped by the GM n the Fort today, just to price some ammo and to fondle some lever action rifles. Found a lever action Browning .22 with plastic woodgrain stock for $600. I just shook my head and put it back on the rack.
    QUOTE]

I've never seen a browning with a plastic stock. Now I gotta go to the mtn and look around. Thanks alot!:rolleyes:

Every BLR I've ever seen had high gloss finish over walnut.:dunno:

Well, I have been known to make a mistake; so I may have mistaken that high gloss finish over walnut for a slick, shiny, artificial wood grain laminate look. I am still shaking my head over that one. If it was not plastic, it was the best imitation plastic I have ever seen. If one of you folks has the time to stop by for a personal evaluation, let me know. I know I have a lot to learn; so if that really is walnut masquerading as plastic, I want to know how to tell the difference.

Thanks for your help, folks.;)

BTW, I had some time to kill again recently so i popped in again to fondle and drool. There was a youngish guy there—tall, slender guy with a beard—who showed another customer several rifles and discussed them intelligently. Really did a great job on customer service.

You know, the end must be near, and a hot spot must be freezing over! I made a mistake (maybe) and a GM employee gave good customer service!

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I've bought a couple of guns from Scamder Mtn, but only what I consider fairly priced guns. The Marlin 795 was $119 or some such and I had some gift cards, and I think I bought a Henry Survival there, too. I always knew what I wanted and told the counter guy, and was out of there pretty quick. I bought a Marlin 717(?) .17 hm2 semi when they first came out, and it was missing the magazine. I had to hound them pretty bad about getting it to me. Finally got that resolved, and really never bought much of anything there unless I got a gift card from some unknowing relative.

All that said, I was in last week to check out the sale stuff. Prices were waaaay too high, but the young men who waited on me were polite and seemed like they were trying to help. I guess I do my homework before I spend my hard-earned, and the stuff the two clerks mentioned and discussed was right on the money as far as pure information was concerned.. Their prices were high,and I left empty handed, but it wasn't because of the two counter guys as in some of my prior visits.

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    BTW, I had some time to kill again recently so i popped in again to fondle and drool. There was a youngish guy there—tall, slender guy with a beard—who showed another customer several rifles and discussed them intelligently. Really did a great job on customer service.

Guy's name is Eddie. He's a good dude that tells it like it is.

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    ... Im not sure what kind of person buys from Gander Mountain instead of a LGS. Maybe they just dont know the difference or maybe they have money to burn.

I purchased my SIG P250c at Gander Mountain this weekend. Bradis had it for $409 and Gander had it for $399. I actually tried to buy the one from Bradis but it ended up being defective so I went over to GM and bought from them.

I have seen a few times where GM is actually cheaper than some LGS. However I still agree that you should give the local shops business wherever you can, even if they are a few dollars more expensive.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    OK, so I (after a long-ish hiatus) went to Gander tonight.
    The firearms counter had a few customers around it, not swamped, but steady.
    I did have to wait a little bit, but I was fine with that.
    A couple guys who arrived after I'd been there awhile got waited on first, and I wasn't so happy about that. Then the counter guy (pausing to let those guys look at a thing or two) sort of looked my direction...ish, so I kinda jumped right in to get his attention. With the way he looked back at the two guys, it occurred to me that he probably must have thought I was tagging along with them. So I said, "I'm not with them." and went on to ask a few questions.
    I totally forgive him for his assumptions because he was a big 1911 fan and definitely knew his stuff! Very knowledgeable kid (I say kid...20something-ish)...and didn't talk dumbed-down to me.
    There was a youngish guy there—tall, slender guy with a beard
    That describes this guy...

Guy's name is Eddie. He's a good dude that tells it like it is.
    Except I took note of his name tag and it said, "Jack".

Jack, if you're reading this... Good on you, kiddo! :yesway:

BillyB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    I have had mixed experiences with GM, Cabela's and Bass Pro. They are never going to have prices like Buds Gun online because they have help to pay, a big advertising budget and a storefront to maintain. You can offer them less than the asking price.

THISGUY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Instead of Gander try Dunham's (theres one in Auburn)...they have 20% off deals all the time and when i purchased my GSG-5SD it was $299....while it was still $450 at Gander.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I go there sometime times just to look stuff over, not really there to buy something but just to get a feel of something. Some of their prices or "ok" when they are on sale. I have seen sigmas go for 299 which is not terrible.

piper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    I always look at 3-4 places for determining where I'm going to buy from based on the price, condition, extras etc. I bought my little brothers a couple Savage 17 HMR rifles at GM awhile back but only because they were on sale and had a decent scope on them. Otherwise I have never found other firearms there that have been a good deal. I have converted many of my friends that use to buy from big stores like that to looking online and buying from private sellers.

Lance4205

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    The last time o was at a gm they told me to order my gun online and wouldn't help me otherwise.I thought that was their job to get the gun I want. So I will never go there for anything.

BRILEY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Beech Grove
    GM is a JOKE, I went to buy a scope for one of my rifles, it took 15 minutes to get someone's attention, then when we finally got help I wanted to put the scope on to make sure it was a proper fit, I've purchased before and had to drive back because of in-proper fit... the guy helping acted like I was putting him out, gave me a terrible attitude acting like it was the end of the world, the funny thing is; he didn't have to do a thing I was putting the scope on myself.

Needless to say, I haven't found ANY reason to go back since, and don't plan on it!

mlake12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    I was in goose hill the other day and experienced a relatively same scenario. EXCEPT the guy behind the counter actually said, i don't understand why they price their used guns the way they do. Here's a brand new version of this one for 35$ more, hmm what would you do??

I guess their used gun prices are set at corporate but it just baffles me to see how many people buy from them instead of the local guys.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I bought my 930 there about a year ago, paid $450 plus tax. It was a good deal at the time and actually came out ahead vs buying online paying shipping and ffl. That said the same gun is now $550+ , so take it for what it is.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I went into my first GM last weekend... wasn't all bad. They had a pistol that I've been wanting that I couldn't find anywhere else. It may have been marked a little high, but I didn't mind considering its the only place I have come across one (can't even find them anywhere online).

The customer service was ok... tho the kid behind the counter I think had some chew in his mouth and apparently thought he knew everything about guns. The only funny thing I seen there was this old man who was checking out a Ruger SR22.

He wanted a cheap trainer for his Glock and he and the service rep (the kid who knew everything) were obviously already convinced that the SR22 was gonna be the best way to train for his Glock which I found a bit amusing. Like an idiot I suggested that the guy simply look online for a .22lr caliber slide for his glock and the kid and the guy dismissed my advice and rightfully looked at me like an idiot. :dunno:

Whatever... I'll be back to pick up that 22/45 lite when I get the chance... (provided its still there and the Mrs. isn't around :P )

handkaudio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    I've heard good and bad on GM. Never dealt with them so guess I'm still nuetral. But I'd have to say something if I could save someone some cash.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Gander Mountain is a good place to shop, but not usually a good place to buy. However, I must say that I did get a good deal on a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport (.223 / 5.56 NATO) with 2 extra 30 round magazines for $679 a few months back. But that is the only firearm I have ever purchased at Gander.

Last edited:

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    The last time o was at a gm they told me to order my gun online and wouldn't help me otherwise.I thought that was their job to get the gun I want. So I will never go there for anything.

A few years ago I was looking for a Savage 220f slug gun. I went to the store in Castleton thinking that maybe because they are a sizable volume operation they would have one. Sure enough they had one in black. Problem was I wanted the camo one. After fondling it for about ten minutes I told him I would buy one in camo.

He said he didn't have one.

And then just stared at me.

Logically I asked if he had the ability to check other Gander stores and perhaps transfer one. Chain stores do this all the time. He gave an audible SIGH as if this was going to be some type of Herculean effort. Finding no camo 220 at other stores he said he couldn't help. I asked if he had the ability to place a backorder directly with Savage or with their authorized distributor. He said he didn't know and he didn't want to check.

I asked if his manager might have more interest in looking into this crazy request of mine.

He told me he was the manager.

That was several years ago and I have not set foot in a Gander store since.

Top Bottom