• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Stopped by the GM n the Fort today, just to price some ammo and to fondle some lever action rifles. Found a lever action Browning .22 with plastic woodgrain stock for $600. I just shook my head and put it back on the rack.

Saw an Uberti Cattleman in .357 with the 4.625 barrel in the used weapon display case. They wanted $499. I bought mine brand new on Gunbroker for $250 plus $25 S&H and $25FFL.

Saw another man purchasing a S&W Bodyguard. Did not hear the price, but I had to force myself to walk away. I wanted to warn the guy, but decided MYOB was the best course.

What would you have done?

That Browning doesn't have a plastic wood grain stock, it is walnut, but it does have some kind of hard coat finish over he wood. The BL-22 is one very nice lever action gun. TI is far nicer than the new Remlin Marlins 39A's that are being pumped out. And it is a better gun than the Henry, especially in the realms of workmanship and accuracy. As for the price, GM is always high....if you think their NEW gun prices are bad, look at their USED prices.

HFDowner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    The best policy in any circumstance is "Never give unsolicited advice" took me 30 year to figure it out, but it is the best policy.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I don't get the people who work behind the gun counter at Gander Mountain. I can be standing and looking at a gun for five minutes or more and they simply will not come up and ask me if I need help. This has happened multiple times. I
    literally have to stop them and ask for help. Even when they are not busy they have this stand-offish attitude. The few times I have asked to see a gun or had
    questions they were somewhat helpful but still, they don't come up and ask you if you need help. I find it odd.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I don't get the people who work behind the gun counter at Gander Mountain. I can be standing and looking at a gun for five minutes or more and they simply will not come up and ask me if I need help. This has happened multiple times. I
    literally have to stop them and ask for help. Even when they are not busy they have this stand-offish attitude. The few times I have asked to see a gun or had
    questions they were somewhat helpful but still, they don't come up and ask you if you need help. I find it odd.
    Well, you have to take into consideration what they get paid. And you also have to realize, no commission. So why would you expect them to come running? Yes, there should be such a thing as pride. They took the job, no one forced them, but there is no real incentive for them to be better sales people. GM sells more firearms than any place in the US annually, but their corporate structure is still to not pay ****. That being said, they are talking about going to a commission based pay and I'm sure people will then ***** about how pushy and aggressive the people behind the counter are. It is a tough line to walk, but if you are dealing with 200+ people a day and 50% are buying, there is not much need for great customer service. Guess we will just have to see:dunno:

sinnful

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox
    I was told by a GM employee Sunday morning at the Lafayette store they were paid by commission. No clue if this was true. But he was a really nice guy and helpful. Went out of his way for a buddy and I. Was very surprised as this is usual not the case

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    That Browning doesn't have a plastic wood grain stock, it is walnut, but it does have some kind of hard coat finish over he wood. The BL-22 is one very nice lever action gun. TI is far nicer than the new Remlin Marlins 39A's that are being pumped out. And it is a better gun than the Henry, especially in the realms of workmanship and accuracy. As for the price, GM is always high....if you think their NEW gun prices are bad, look at their USED prices.

I was previously informed the stock was not plastic, so you are a bit late on that one. I have been wrong before, and probably will be wrong again—sometime. :D However, if a piece looks like plastic I have a very hard time taking it seriously. That rifle looked just like a toy I had as a kid. I understand some folks like it. I don't. I put it one step above a pink one. :noway:

Buzzard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I must be a rarity, or really lucky.

I frequent my GM because it is close to the house. I have bought some items and you can get some deals during their sales if you pay attention. Also, I have bought 3 guns....and only after I shopped around and made sure that they were cheaper than my LGS. One was at MSRP, but I got it faster through GM than what my LGS could do and at no extra charge. I bought a pistol last year that was on sale and had a crimson trace grip, but was mistakingly priced as the version with standard grips. They gave it to me at that price anyway. I also bought a revolver for $25 less than MSRP and it was not on sale.
    With that being said I have also put many guns back on the rack because they were to high priced. BUT I have also done this at many LGS stores as well! So, I guess what I'm saying is I think you can buy from GM if you do your homework and know what you're looking for.
    Also, the GM by me recently remodeled the gun area and put in a number ticket dispenser. So they wait on people in order of the number they pull. The guys behind the counter are also good about telling line cutters they have to wait their turn.
    So that's my experience.
    :twocents:

:popcorn:

Buzzard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    The Gander Mountain in Hobart/Merriville will price match. All one needs to do is ask, bring in any coupon. As stated in a previous post, they didn't build their business on guns, but they price compete if you show an ad.

Have you been in there lately? I was in there this weekend and they are doing a major remodel. They had some posters saying they were making a huge gun section. The pics reminded me of the Gun Library at some Bass Pro stores. I'm curius how that will turn out.

:)

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nobody is going to judge you if you want to pick-up a little rough trade every now and again...

It's 2013 after all.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    GM may be pricey, but in the Fort they're about the cheapest on hanguns. Just stop by the LGS off of Coliseum Blvd and compare their price's.

When I bought my M&P22 last December, Gander had it priced at $460. I saw it on the shelf and nearly laughed out loud. I had seen it at the Coliseum gun show for $420. I went to Freedom and the best they could do was $390. I went to Sniper and got it for $362. A month or so later, another :ingo:er asked me about my purchase price before he headed to the next Coliseum gun show. He purchased one from ZX (or XY, or YZ - sorry, can't keep that name straight) for more than $20 less than I paid. (FYI, these were all pre-tax prices).

I know what GM on Lima Road in the Fort charges for handguns. I check it regularly. I have yet to see GM beat a price on anything at Freedom. I do not say it never happens. I just say I have never seen it, and I have been checking prices on Sunday after church for over a year—not every week and not every gun, but enough to know Freedom easily beats their prices, and Sniper beats theirs on a regular basis. However, YMMV.

FYI, I do not work for any of these shops. I just have been doing my due diligence shopping.

RCL-Fishers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Fishers
    There's a GM right across from my office so I run over there from time to time to check ammo and hardware. I got "lucky" and found an SW M&P 22-15. Price was $499, equal to MSRP. While I sometimes think the clerks are less than knowlegeable, overall my experience there has been good.

RCL-Fishers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Fishers
    I went to Sniper and got it for $362.

Well, I THOUGHT I got a decent deal... someone's always there to tell a better story, lol. I do LOVE the gun, even my wife and some friends that have some pretty heavy duty stuff liked firing it.

Now if I can just find some Amo and 25 rd Mags!

Top Bottom