• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Charlie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Great place to look around but kind of pricey. When it comes to the chain stores, it doesn't bother me if the guy behind the counter isn't well educated. What bothers me is when they act like they know something they really don't. Just be straight about it.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I went into the greenwood goose hill last night ( I lost a bet), and they moved things around a bit. The back wall where long guns go now has counter in front of it all the way down, I saw no "smith" shop, and the sales dorks wouldn't leave me alone....why do I bother going in there.....that place is what a gun store would be like if a woman designed it, then remodeled every few months and sold shoes.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I say we band together all of us. There are 22,000 and change on this site. And we boycott G.M. Tell just two people and that number will compound so quickly..............who am I kidding? Nobody gives a damn about any of it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I say we band together all of us. There are 22,000 and change on this site. And we boycott G.M. Tell just two people and that number will compound so quickly..............who am I kidding? Nobody gives a damn about any of it.

You haven't told more than 2 people already? I'd venture to say that most folks on INGO have told most of their friends to stay away from GM and which other shops would better serve their needs.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    You haven't told more than 2 people already? I'd venture to say that most folks on INGO have told most of their friends to stay away from GM and which other shops would better serve their needs.

I have probably told 100 or more people. I raise hell constantly about the ignorance of the staff that works there(probably due more to the box store corporate mandate) and the prices especially on their ammunition. So???

Tony7141

Marksman
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    May 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    :( I never had been to Gander mountain and was in Greenwood monday so I decided to stop in as I am looking for a 22 magnum rifle.I walked around amazed at all the hunting stuff they had and purchased a new coyote howler as well as some other stuff I found that I dont see most other stores around my home,then I decided to check out the rifles and looked up and down the firearms rack for about an hour and was unable to find out if they even had a 22 mag because nobody employed there would even ask if I wanted to see anything or what I was interested in looking at. So after 1 hour of trying to get someones attention I decided to find one somewhere else where someone would appreciate my business. So if someone happens to have a decent 22 mag rifle at a fair price I am interested.Thanks and thumbs down to Gander Mountain in Greenwood.

I go to that GM all the time, never have any issues getting help, as matter of fact sometimes I get asked if I need help a little to much, still that beats being ignored. They remodled their gun section a while ago, you use to be able to walk right up to all the long guns and pick them right up. i liked that better, but still I have had grea luck shopping there.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I hate to admit it but I too have been ignored at Greenwood Gander Mountain, it's not uncommon. The same thing happens in the fishing department, kayaks and canoes, as well as the gun counter. I like buying guns at Dick's Sporting Goods in Greenwood, but you have to hunt down a sales person there as well. The prices are a lot better than Gander.

kamred41

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    speaking of greenwood GM, when you have a guy that runs the shoe department, that thinks he is a firearm expert you may have a problem

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    Welp, I have met and spoke with the MGR of the store and the gun/ammo Manager in the Greenwood Store. Two super nice squared away guys, both VETS, Marine and Army and a bunch of the guys behind the counter are former military. They have published competative prices on guns in the paper and "good" prices on ammo and they have ammo, in the last 60 days I have gotten 1000 rounds of 5.56, no problem, just go on Thursday mornings.
    So I am far from anti=gander.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    although I have never bought a gun from them, the GM in Evansville has some decent rep's working for them. Some may not know much about gun's but if there not with another customer they will ask if you need help with anything. In fact if no one is at the counter with a customer they will walk around the aisle's and ask if they can help with anything..

I've bought 2 pistols at the Evansville GM. Good service both time. I'm no gun expert, so they don't have to know much to know more than I do. But I do my homework when I'm looking for a gun. Usually a good experience there.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    speaking of greenwood GM, when you have a guy that runs the shoe department, that thinks he is a firearm expert you may have a problem
    Elsewhere, I've seen other "sporting goods stores" put know-nothings behind the gun display case and the guy who really DOES know his gun stuff in the treadmill department... so that one really is a crap shoot.

kamred

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    if your looking for a good trade in or sell price on a firearm, just goto the greenwood gander mountain and ask the shoe department supervisor, he seems to get whatever he wants for his firearms

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    75.00 TRANSFER FEE

I was in the Gander Mountain store in Castleton the other day. I hold a current ffl and saw an old shotgun that was for sale. I decided to buy it at the asking price but they wanted $75.00 to do the transfer. I left without the gun..........:(

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    I just bought my stepson a pistol at Gander Mountain a couple of weeks ago. We asked someone to show us a particular gun. The guy said they are on a strict "take a number" system. We hadn't even seen the rack of numbers. (It's near the middle of the counter.) So.........we took a number and looked around while we waited on it to be called. About 5 minutes later, we got the call. My stepson looked at several pistols, selected one and we walked out with it after the usual wait for it to be called in. I didn't see anything wrong with the service there. If you didn't ask and did'nt know about the number system, you probably wouldn't have been asked if they could help you. In other words, they were waiting on customers in the order in which they took numbers. Since you didn't have a number and didn't ask, I can see how you felt ignored.

I'm not a great Gander Mountain fan, but in the last 3-4 months they seem to have gone "all in" on supplying their gun department. The guy who waited on us told me they had gone from 500 guns in their store to 3,000. The only down side to the transaction was they didn't have any type of 9mm ammo. I have to give my stepson a box out of my stash.

If you go into the Greenwood Gander Mountain, look for the number rack and take one. If your experience is like mine was, you won't be disappointed.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Went today they had a USGI Remington Rand 1911. All original except some PIMP had put pearl grips on it. Easy fix. $799. Even for a refinish this is a FREAKING STEAL. But didn't need a 1911 so I left it behind.

They had lots of ammo for once, still, not fully stocked but there was some of the panic calibers there. I got some 230 45 FMJ Independence 50 count. But they had 200 count plastic ammo cans of Blazer Brass too.

They had abandoned the number system!

Top Bottom