• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charless917

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North East Indy
    My wife gave me a $75 dollar gift card to Gander. Trying to decide what to use if for. So I was thinking it would be nice to get a cheap .22 with a scope. Mostly for plinking but some squirrel hunting. Here where some of the options that I was looking at

Gander Mountain® > Marlin Model 795 Semi-Automatic w/Blue Barrel Synthetic Stock - Firearms > Rimfire Rifles > Semi-Auto Action :

Gander Mountain® > Remington 597 .22 LR Semi-Automatic Rifle Scoped Package - Firearms > Rimfire Rifles > Semi-Auto Action :

Gander Mountain® > Savage 10 + 1 22 Long Rifle w/Scope/Blue Barrel Black Synthetic Stock - Firearms > Rimfire Rifles > Semi-Auto Action :

or just get one of their Ruger 10/22's
    or give me other suggestions of what to use $75 at gander for, I see the gift card as a way to reduce the cost of what ever I want.

I do also want to get another handgun, a pump shotgun. there not much that I dont want to get but want to get a 22 with a scope the most right now.

So I guess Im looking for what people think is a good deal considering the gift card.

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    Savage or Marlin. The savage is a better built gun IMO. However the Marlin's seem to be good shooters also. I've seen too many 597 returned for repair. If shot alot the 597s tend to wear and blow out the bottom of the bolt.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'd get that marlin 795. FYI, Shooters Ridge is coming out with high cap mags for it.

My 10-22 has been a money pit trying to get it to shoot accurately and reliably with high cap mags. It's an unnecessary pain in the rear. So far I've bought a couple VQ parts kits from midway and other places for over $150. I've replaced the sights with tech sights, and put a folding stock on it. All together I have way too much $$ in my 10-22 when I should have just bought three or four of the 795's and been money ahead.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I say go with the Marlin 795. Your gift card will cover more than half the price. I recommend you shop elsewhere for a handgun, shotgun and optics.

In my opinion GM is only good for looking and buying AE 223/556 when it's on sale. They don't get my money for anything else.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    As others said I'd get the Marlin or or Savage and run away from the Remington. I have a 597 and it is a peice of junk. FTF, FTE, the charging handle broke and it's the only gun I own that is more inaccurate than me (and I am not that good of shot).

worksalot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    get thr ruger 10/22 and go to an appleseed shoot. Or if you have already been take someone with you and let them use your new 10/22

mdh11292

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Whiteland
    If you plan to upgrade it get the Ruger, it has the most parts available. If it's just a target gun your going to scope I'd look at the savage.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    get thr ruger 10/22 and go to an appleseed shoot. Or if you have already been take someone with you and let them use your new 10/22

I wholeheartedly agree with taking your new rifle to an Appleseed! But, for the price of a 10/22 you can buy a 795, Tech Sights (or a modest scope), swivels, and a sling. The 10/22 will still need all of those things, plus swivel studs, and will likely not be as accurate as the 795. The 10/22 is a great rifle for people that want to tinker. The 795 is, arguably, a better choice for people that simply want an accurate and fun semi-auto 22.

charless917

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North East Indy
    I am leaning towards the savage because I looks the looks, it comes with a scope, and would be ready to go and I wouldnt feel the need to upgrade anything. But I like the price of the marlin and I can pick out the scope that I want and end at the same price. I didnt make it to gander last night hope to go wednesday

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I once owned a Marlin 795 and it was a very accurate, reliable plinker. It seemed to like the Federal hollow points from Wally World. Held nice groups at 50yds. My dad has a 995 Marlin which I believe is the predecessor to the 795 and it still holds tight groups and it's been in the family for years with thousands and thousands of rounds through it. It's half the price of the others also.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I LOVE Savage bolt action 22s! I bought four of them last year, but I know nothing of their semi-autos. It seems to me that it is in the same price range as a 10/22. According to Savage's site that particular model should come with a fixed 4x scope. My experience with their bundled scope is that you can usually find a comparable one for ~$30. With the 795, you could spend $100 on a scope before you reached the same investment as the Savage. If you you were looking for a bolt gun then I would absolutely go with an accutrigger Savage, but in a semi-auto you can probably do better.

BTW, my thoughts are from a purely analytical standpoint. If you like the look and feel of one rifle over the other, then buy the one YOU like. Guns purchases are very personal decisions. What fits me may not fit you. My hot points may not be yours. Good luck with whichever one you chose! Oh, and grab 500 rounds and sign up for an Appleseed, it's the most fun I've ever had with my rifle!

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have a marlin and I love it, bought it at dicks for I believe $99 after rebate. Put on a walmart scope and its accurate as can be. Love it, only wish they had more aftermarket available, especially a thumb hole stock.

Top Bottom