• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    True, that's usually my point as well, the profits are going to Japan.

If this is the question, let me ask you this: If there is no such thing as a 'pure' American vehicle, do you feel more loyalty to an American CEO who doesn't give a rat's a** about you as he sells foreign-made cars under an American nameplate, or a Japanese CEO who is keeping several hundred of your neighbors in jobs?

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    041bfbb1.jpg

American Made, American Company, I have a friend who works at the plant in illinois that produces them along with the rest of the Jeeps and the new Dodge Dart

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Was there ever a car company that had 100% of their cars made from materials from only America?

No, there never was. Rubber trees don't grow in America. Last I checked, most cars had rubber tires.

So is it "buying American' to buy a Goodyear Tire when the rubber comes from Indonesia?

How about a 100% American Labor Fender Custom Shop Strat-- with wood from India, and hardware from Japan?

These are just a couple of the ways that "buy American" is shown to be absurd.

We are not self-sufficient. People aren't designed to be. We each have some skill we do better than others, and this means it makes sense for us to do some thing and get paid for it while someone else does another thing and get paid for it.

The story often told in basic economics classes is about two Indian tribes: one tribe of skilled hunters that make great arrowheads and one of gatherers that can make good baskets. It's not long for them to figure out that they are both better off making extra baskets or arrowheads and trading them to the other tribe so you can have BOTH baskets and arrowheads.

Free trade is a good thing, and utterly incompatible with some jingoistic "buy American' idea. I'm too much of a believer in free enterprise and capitalism to surrender those ideas to some misguided but well-intentioned campaign of "buying American."

Fortunately, I don't have to surrender my principles to buy American, because when we choose to, we can compete with almost anyone on almost anything.

JMO

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If this is the question, let me ask you this: If there is no such thing as a 'pure' American vehicle, do you feel more loyalty to an American CEO who doesn't give a rat's a** about you as he sells foreign-made cars under an American nameplate, or a Japanese CEO who is keeping several hundred of your neighbors in jobs?

I'll take option "B" and learn Japanese if I must.

EDIT: besides, if the Japanese CEO runs the company into the ground, he has to commit Seppuku or something, while an American CEO gets a big multimillion dollar reward proportional the amount he sucked.

Last edited:

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Sorry to go off topic.......

But are Mossberg, Ruger and Smith and Wesson products 100% American?
    As in ... No foreign parts?

I don't know if you're including Savage in this mix, but I ordered a replacement stock, and I had to wait because they were waiting on them to arrive on a container ship. So, I would bet if they have composite stocks, no manufacturer can say they are solely American made.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I don't know if you're including Savage in this mix, but I ordered a replacement stock, and I had to wait because they were waiting on them to arrive on a container ship. So, I would bet if they have composite stocks, no manufacturer can say they are solely American made.

I may be wrong on this, but I believe Henry's are all still 100% American milled, manufactured and assembled. What I don't I know is if any of their raw materials are imported.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I may be wrong on this, but I believe Henry's are all still 100% American milled, manufactured and assembled. What I don't I know is if any of their raw materials are imported.

Your probably right on Henry...........but who knows when a supplier is sending stuff to them for parts, where it all comes from. If you watch their info-mercials, they really do go out of their way to provide All-American products. :yesway:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I always assumed they used those common sense tests that some employers have applicants take, except they hire the people who fail it.

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    I typically buy my firearms from bradis or beechgrove but I recently purchased one at gm because they were the only place that had one. I gave the young man some $100's that were probably older he was and it took 15 minutes of scrutinizing to determine they were real. Meanwhile the mid 50'so jackwad gave me dirty looks because I turned down their extended warranty. That was the greenwood store. My apologies to my lgs for whoring around.....lesson learned. Ignore opinions from most of those guys.
    A

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Sorry to go off topic.......

But are Mossberg, Ruger and Smith and Wesson products 100% American?
    As in ... No foreign parts?

The Mossberg 500/590 series shotguns are entirely "made in the USA". The Maverick 88s are assembled in the US from domestic and foreign-sourced parts. Not sure about their centerfire rifles. The Mossberg International guns (702/802 Plinksters, SA-20 and Silver Reserve shotguns) are all imported.

I would ass-u-me Ruger and S&W are entirely US-made, given that both companies have significant manufacturing capabilities attached to them, but I'm not 100% certain that both companies make ALL their own parts.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I would ass-u-me Ruger and S&W are entirely US-made, given that both companies have significant manufacturing capabilities attached to them, but I'm not 100% certain that both companies make ALL their own parts

Is he talking about the S&W shotguns and rifles, e.g. the 3000 and the 1500?

They were made in Japan (Howa).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom