Garage door spring just broke! Any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm pretty handy but I've simply never dabbled in fixing a garage door. Any suggestions? DIY, or is this just -call a guy and be done with it?
    I'm in Westfield, north of indy, anyone with experience good, bad, or otherwise with the companies available?
    Btw, my garage is not used for a vehicle, so there is no urgency to this.
    20230721_172225.jpg

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Call a guy and be done with it. I'm handy, too...but one small mistake while tensioning a new spring could spell disaster. It's not that expensive to have somebody replace it and balance the door properly.

I've used Precision Garage Door for the past several years and have always been impressed/happy with the service.

https://garagedoorindianapolis.com/

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Call a guy and be done with it. I'm handy, too...but one small mistake while tensioning a new spring could spell disaster. It's not that expensive to have somebody replace it and balance the door properly.

I've used Precision Garage Door for the past several years and have always been impressed/happy with the service.

https://garagedoorindianapolis.com/
    This exactly. Unless you are sure of what you are doing, call a professional.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Thanks everyone. I kind of thought I remembered hearing this before but apparently needed to hear it again. I scheduled an appointment with precision garage door for next Friday. I'm off Fridays and frankly it will take until then to clean an area to let them work and not think I need a hoarders intervention. :-) yeah, I have one of those garages.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks everyone. I kind of thought I remembered hearing this before but apparently needed to hear it again. I scheduled an appointment with precision garage door for next Friday. I'm off Fridays and frankly it will take until then to clean an area to let them work and not think I need a hoarders intervention. :-) yeah, I have one of those garages.
    You and me both! I park my car in mine, but just barely. :):

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Wife’s brother in law and my stepson work for Bob’s Garage Doors up in Anderson. Don’t know if they travel to your locale or not, but I know they do good work. Redid a spring for mine a few years ago.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Everyone I have seen get hurt trying to tension that spring was using two screwdrivers in those adjuster holes. NO shortcuts, that's how people get hurt. You need two, 20 inch long pieces of steel round stock. Mine have all been 1/2. If yours are bigger, you need rods to match the holes in the adjuster hub. Make sure you are on a stable ladder, you will be holding tension for a while. It is pretty straight forward if you keep your mind engaged and don't get in a hurry. Since the spring has a shaft through it, it is not going to get too far. Not as dangerous as a car spring.

It looks like you have a dual spring system. With that tag hanging in the way, I cannot tell. Be sure to unwind the other spring, controlling it with the rods, one hole at a time before you take anything apart. Be sure you are solid in the hub before you loosen the lock screw. You will feel the tension pressing against your hand. Count how many holes it takes to get the tension off, that is how many you will need when you wind it back up (1/4 th turn at a time) leave the adjustment hub loose while you are working on the other side.

When a spring breaks, the cable on the end often gets snagged up and damaged on the spool. Check both sides. Change everything that looks hurt before you start winding up the springs again.

It really isn't complicated, but it will hurt you if you don't pay attention.

Last edited:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Everyone I have seen get hurt trying to tension that spring was using two screwdrivers in those adjuster holes. NO shortcuts, that's how people get hurt. You need two, 20 inch long pieces of steel round stock. Mine have all been 1/2. If yours are bigger, you need rods to match the holes in the adjuster hub. Make sure you are on a stable ladder, you will be holding tension for a while. It is pretty straight forward if you keep your mind engaged and don't get in a hurry. Since the spring has a shaft through it, it is not going to get too far. Not as dangerous as a car spring.

It looks like you have a dual spring system. With that tag hanging in the way, I cannot tell. Be sure to unwind the other spring, controlling it with the rods, one hole at a time before you take anything apart. Be sure you are solid in the hub before you loosen the lock screw. You will feel the tension pressing against your hand. Count how many holes it takes to get the tension off, that is how many you will need when you wind it back up (1/4 th turn at a time) leave the adjustment hub loose while you are working on the other side.

When a spring breaks, the cable on the end often gets snagged up and damaged on the spool. Check both sides. Change everything that looks hurt before you start winding up the springs again.

It really isn't complicated, but it will hurt you if you don't pay attention.
    76805368.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just for future reference I've used 1st choice garage doors for a few different things, including broken springs, opener replacement etc. Been a bit, but great service, good prices at the time and supporting an INGO'er https://www.indianagunowners.com/members/marcweid.22894/#about

Haven't seen I'm on here in a bit (looks like 2019) so hope all is well with him.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I think it was Garage Doors of Indianapolis that we had come out and fix one of the springs on her garage door when it looked just like yours. They were quick to schedule the visit and did really good work.
    Being a busybody, I had to watch (from a distance) and can say with absolute certainty that not having the right tools and absolute knowledge of how to do every part of it, trying to do this on my own would have been a surefire trip to the ER or morgue.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I'm pretty handy but I've simply never dabbled in fixing a garage door. Any suggestions? DIY, or is this just -call a guy and be done with it?
    I'm in Westfield, north of indy, anyone with experience good, bad, or otherwise with the companies available?
    Btw, my garage is not used for a vehicle, so there is no urgency to this.
    View attachment 288487
    Call a garage door company. Unless you really know what you are doing, garage door springs are nothing to mess with.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I would look into a modern replacement torsion system if it was my door.
    The last door I hung for myself you used a ratchet or an impact to tension the springs.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would look into a modern replacement torsion system if it was my door.
    The last door I hung for myself you used a ratchet or an impact to tension the springs.
    I think that is the hardware from Wayne Dalton company. I put up a pair of them on my garage maybe 5 houses ago. They seemed to work out ok. Since I can work on conventional door hardware, I probably would not spend the extra money again.

Top Bottom