Garage door spring just broke! Any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Everyone I have seen get hurt trying to tension that spring was using two screwdrivers in those adjuster holes. NO shortcuts, that's how people get hurt. You need two, 20 inch long pieces of steel round stock. Mine have all been 1/2. If yours are bigger, you need rods to match the holes in the adjuster hub. Make sure you are on a stable ladder, you will be holding tension for a while. It is pretty straight forward if you keep your mind engaged and don't get in a hurry. Since the spring has a shaft through it, it is not going to get too far. Not as dangerous as a car spring.

It looks like you have a dual spring system. With that tag hanging in the way, I cannot tell. Be sure to unwind the other spring, controlling it with the rods, one hole at a time before you take anything apart. Be sure you are solid in the hub before you loosen the lock screw. You will feel the tension pressing against your hand. Count how many holes it takes to get the tension off, that is how many you will need when you wind it back up (1/4 th turn at a time) leave the adjustment hub loose while you are working on the other side.

When a spring breaks, the cable on the end often gets snagged up and damaged on the spool. Check both sides. Change everything that looks hurt before you start winding up the springs again.

It really isn't complicated, but it will hurt you if you don't pay attention.
    I've installed a couple and it takes a little patience, some strength, and a little intelligence. If you can afford to pay someone, it shortens the learning curve. Properly sized steel rods or pieces of rebar are essential to the tensioning sequence.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I do this kind of thing for a living.
    Just replaced the spring(s) on my sister's door last week.
    You want the proper tools, as stated above, but there is another avenue.
    Ideal doors makes a spring that I believe is called the EZ-torsion spring.
    Once installed (incredibly easy) the tensioning is done with a cordless drill and an Allen bit supplied with the spring.
    Piece of cake, but you MUST follow directions.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Everyone I have seen get hurt trying to tension that spring was using two screwdrivers in those adjuster holes. NO shortcuts, that's how people get hurt. You need two, 20 inch long pieces of steel round stock. Mine have all been 1/2. If yours are bigger, you need rods to match the holes in the adjuster hub. Make sure you are on a stable ladder, you will be holding tension for a while. It is pretty straight forward if you keep your mind engaged and don't get in a hurry. Since the spring has a shaft through it, it is not going to get too far. Not as dangerous as a car spring.

It looks like you have a dual spring system. With that tag hanging in the way, I cannot tell. Be sure to unwind the other spring, controlling it with the rods, one hole at a time before you take anything apart. Be sure you are solid in the hub before you loosen the lock screw. You will feel the tension pressing against your hand. Count how many holes it takes to get the tension off, that is how many you will need when you wind it back up (1/4 th turn at a time) leave the adjustment hub loose while you are working on the other side.

When a spring breaks, the cable on the end often gets snagged up and damaged on the spool. Check both sides. Change everything that looks hurt before you start winding up the springs again.

It really isn't complicated, but it will hurt you if you don't pay attention.
    I did this once, probably 10-15 years ago, on a neighbor's house. I don't remember where we got them, but we used those long pieces of round stock, too. They were great because they were long enough to simply rest against the door/ceiling to hold tension.

Slow and controlled was the name of the game. 90 degrees at a time. Turn, install rod, slowly release rod to transfer load, look to see if it's all stable, remove rod, turn. The rods have a Plane of Death that you must keep your body and your buddies out of. If you plant your ladder in front of it and were to somehow lose one of those rods, it's going into your face like a tomahawk.

I didn't think it was that hard or dangerous, but there is a very clear hazard that you have to take seriously, read the instructions, and manage.

Reactions: Leo

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I took my whole door off when I redid the drywall in the garage. Piece of cake. I wanted to get the drywall under the the door hangers.

I was told this thread had cake.

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Since your other spring is still good, it's not super urgent.

At out last house, one had been broken for I'm not sure how long, until I noticed it and had it fixed.

Fast forward to our new house with just one spring. When it broke, it was a PITA, now we have two.

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    I have replaced a couple of these. Not too hard if you like fixing things. If you haven't done them before watch it on youtube; I believe you can do it.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I have replaced a couple of these. Not too hard if you like fixing things. If you haven't done them before watch it on youtube; I believe you can do it.
    I agree with others that it isn't technically or physically hard. However it is a job where you can't afford to take shortcuts. Invest in the proper diameter stereo rods (1/2 inch) and make sure they are FULLY seated before applying pressure. Keep everyone or of the "plane of death". Basically treat it as firearm safety rules. If you aren't 100% comfortable then hire it done.
    Rick

Top Bottom