• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    well, I just didn't understand everything in this thread, so I bought 12 fixtures that took t12 bulbs with 24 bulbs for 200 bucks. Then I got 15 % off that price. If they don't work I am not out a ton of money. We are breaking ground on the garage today so ill be starting a thread on that as well.

:ugh:

I know you think you got a "deal", but out of all the options mentioned here, HID and T12 were the 2 worst. Relatively short life, and energy hogs.

I'd see if you can return them and at least go T8. You'll use about 40% less energy and get superior output and longer life.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    I'll chime in here. I am in the industrial lighting business. It is true that most large industrials are now migrating over to LED. The reason for this is due to the rebates being offered by energy companies, and the increased maintenance cost of a standard HID or Flourescent. My 2 biggest LED lighting lines have warranties out to 5 years on their standard LED offerings. This is more than enough because with LED, if there is a problem with the driver, the fixture usually dies pretty quick. The life of these new fixtures are greater than 100k hours. My biggest selling point with LED is install it and forget it. If a company that I am calling on runs them 24 hours a day, they will last well over 11 years. With over 90% lumen maintenance.

With all new technology, price does continue to drop. In most industrial accounts that I sell LED to, they typically have a ROI of about 2.5 years. This takes into account cost of the new fixture, cost of replacement bulbs, ballasts, and about 10 other factors.

Question for the original post, How high are the ceilings in your garage?

Don't get me wrong, I still sell a ton of flourescent. In my garage I have T5 HO's and they are very bright.

Alot of companies who are strapped for cash are keeping their T8 fixtures and installing a LED tube instead of a flourescent bulb. Pretty cool LED fix.

InstantFit LED T8 Lamps | Philips Lighting

Let me know what you are looking for and I'll hook you up with a discount.

Please excuse the typo's.

Good post. I have a feeling you and I are probably in the same industry. :thumbsup:

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Alot of companies who are strapped for cash are keeping their T8 fixtures and installing a LED tube instead of a flourescent bulb. Pretty cool LED fix.

InstantFit LED T8 Lamps | Philips Lighting

Question for you light guys... What is the difference in energy consumption between the T8 led retrofit VS replacing the whole light?? Was wondering if the ballast will still draw a fair amount of power???

sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    If you go with a T8 LED tube and keep the existing T8 fixture and ballast, you are looking at roughly 40% energy savings. Standard T8 is about 32W. The same T8 LED tube is about 11 watts.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    If you go with a T8 LED tube and keep the existing T8 fixture and ballast, you are looking at roughly 40% energy savings. Standard T8 is about 32W. The same T8 LED tube is about 11 watts.

T8's are never actually 32 watts. Examples on a 2 lamp system:
    - .78 ballast factor - 50 watts (both lamps + ballast)
    - .88 BF - 55 watts (both lamps + ballast)
    - 1.18 BF - 76 watts (both lamps + ballast)

Ballast factor is basically the gas pedal for the lamp - telling it how much light to produce as well as how much energy it will use. Higher BF - more light and more energy, lower BF - lower light and less energy. Easy way to design the amount of light you need without adding more lamps or fixtures.

The equiv. LED T8's are approx. 18 watts - depending on which ballast factor ballast is being used. GE example: http://www.gelighting.com/LightingW...-Integrated-Tubes-Sell-Sheet_tcm201-88343.pdf

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    It will only be sporadically heated in the winter.

Sounds about like my garage... Mine were very dim with the old T12s, for quite a while till they warmed up. 20 minutes or more IIRC. The new ones, T8s, with a cold weather ballast, fire up really nice. 80% or better cold and warm up within a couple minutes depending on temp. Longer sub zero.

Now I got to learn what a ballast factor is.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    You guys also need to be looking at the how many lumens to wattage ration you'll get...

Exactly. Figuring out the efficiency of the system is like MPG for your car. You want the most lumens per watt used - all other things being equal of course.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Exactly. Figuring out the efficiency of the system is like MPG for your car. You want the most lumens per watt used - all other things being equal of course.

Yep...LEDs for the win, although not all LEDs are equal. Cree's has an exceptional lumens to wattage rating, perhaps one of the best.

...Crees are my go-to leds when building stupid bright led flashlights and light fixtures...

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Yep...LEDs for the win, although not all LEDs are equal. Cree's has an exceptional lumens to wattage rating, perhaps one of the best.

...Crees are my go-to leds when building stupid bright led flashlights and light fixtures...

I've sold a lot of Cree in the past, but they've had quality issues that have burned a few of my customers (no pun intended).

This one's a whopper that has some BIG end users really pissed off. Cree Recalls LED T8 Lamps Due to Burn Hazard | CPSC.gov

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Ok, looks like I will be returning the t12's to lowes, and buying t8 fixtures, and putting LED bulbs in them. Stay tuned.

listen to me man, those t8 style led bulbs are super bright...more efficient then normal t8 yes...

what you need son, is a Cree CXB3590 emitter on a aluminum heatsink and a reflector made for an CXB3590....

for 150 watts, you get 18,000 lumens.... :popcorn:

Top Bottom