• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Three raised beds ready nothing planted as 28 degree low Sunday morning. The asparagus bed I cleaned the old out and weeded.
    the old tomatoes got pulled from last year. I think the next step will be raking up the flank and trash vine then a nice little session with the flame weeder. Yes flame thrower for weeds. Those nasty’s growing already.
    marigolds popped up like 4 days after seeded in the tent.
    peppers tomatoe and second planting indoor onions nothing.
    marigolds going to be health plants as they want to grow like Russia wants drones.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've planted garlic as late as the first week of December and it's always been fine. Last fall, I planted my garlic on October 4. For the first time ever, I had garlic sprouting before the frost. The tips died back a couple of times, but I had garlic above ground pretty much all winter. Funny thing is, it's really not that much taller now than it normally is by this time of year.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I've planted garlic as late as the first week of December and it's always been fine. Last fall, I planted my garlic on October 4. For the first time ever, I had garlic sprouting before the frost. The tips died back a couple of times, but I had garlic above ground pretty much all winter. Funny thing is, it's really not that much taller now than it normally is by this time of year.
    I planted mine about the same time frame ( forgot to record it last fall ) Just partially uncovered this weekend . Looks like all survived and is about 3-4 tall . Pretty sure it is one of the Georgian varieties / Hardneck

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I planted mine about the same time frame ( forgot to record it last fall ) Just partially uncovered this weekend . Looks like all survived and is about 3-4 tall . Pretty sure it is one of the Georgian varieties / Hardneck
    My garlic is a hard neck with purple-ish skins when freshly dug that turn more white as they dry. I have no idea what it's origin is. A friend of a friend gave me a few cloves to plant 21 years ago. Usually, one of my first garden chores each early March is to pull off the plastic netting that I put on my garlic patch to hold the leave-mulch from blowing off over the winter.

Another thing I've noticed with my garlic is that I've handled it very differently in different seasons, and it always stores about the same length of time. Some years I've dug it when the tops are still partly green, tied it in bunches to dry, some years I've waited until the tops are completely brown and dry before I dig it. One year I dug it, and immediately cut the tops and roots off, then washed the bulbs off. I've never noticed that it makes that much difference in storage time or quality. I suspect that's the same with a lot of things in the garden; not just one right way to do it. I figure I garden for the joy and relaxation that it gives me, so the only to do it wrong is to stress out about it.

Last edited:

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Got my seeds planted in the greenhouse Sunday. Planted potatoes yesterday in one of my raised flowerbeds. A bit late for my area but it's done.
    Will have to add a fence and cover to the flowerbed to keep cats out.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Got my seeds planted in the greenhouse Sunday. Planted potatoes yesterday in one of my raised flowerbeds. A bit late for my area but it's done.
    Will have to add a fence and cover to the flowerbed to keep cats out.
    Great "Garden 2024 "thread already started right here....................

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Plants are doing pretty well .......Have a few cucumber sprouts , cherry tomatoes are 2` tall and have a tomato on each . Have been hand pollinating Cucs and Tomatoes .
    Flowers starting to bloom , Have been eating some lettuce , Had to start some new Mountain Fresh tomatoes as the ones we had , had an accident ................Strawberry starts came in the mail and will plant them in a couple days ( starting a new patch )
    Onions should be here next week ..........
    IMG_4783.JPG IMG_4784.JPG IMG_4785.JPG IMG_4786.JPG

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've got one raised bed that has horseradish on one end and rhubarb at the other. I harvest the rhubarb each season, but I haven't dug the horseradish for several years now. They are encroaching on the rhubarb, and I meant to dig them up last fall and didn't. I think I may dig them this week and replant a few ,where I want them to be. I will probably process some to see if they're any good. Has anyone dug horseradish and processed in the spring?

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I've got one raised bed that has horseradish on one end and rhubarb at the other. I harvest the rhubarb each season, but I haven't dug the horseradish for several years now. They are encroaching on the rhubarb, and I meant to dig them up last fall and didn't. I think I may dig them this week and replant a few ,where I want them to be. I will probably process some to see if they're any good. Has anyone dug horseradish and processed in the spring?
    I did some 15 years ago when it had pretty good shoots coming out. Was trying to get rid of it by a building. I don't know how ling it was there by the rhubarb, but had to been a ling time with how much there was. I took a bite of it to show my daughter and boy it was hot and spicy. After a few minutes, there was a bad odd after taste.

XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    1000003186.jpg 1000003187.jpg

Got some work done in the tunnel this past weekend, direct seeded spinach, salad mix, snow peas, and radish.

Had the pleasure of using my favorite farming implement, the broad fork!

This one is made by meadow creature, manufactured in the good old USA. Has a lifetime warranty, but I dont believe it will ever break. I've had it for 7 years now and it's still in great shape, and it's been used to break new ground and on tens of thousands of feet of bed prep.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Tomato and pepper output was down the last 2 years. Part I believe is due to the trees keep growing and they are getting less sun. Have trimmed some trees last year and will do 2 more this spring. In the meantime I got 2 trailer loads of aged horse manure. Spread it last week and tilled it in the garden today. I’m sure this is why Purdue kicked butt because I was outside working!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    We had Canadian wildfire last year nearly all growing season. I do believe the filtered light slightly stunted growth.

These are some of my little plants still have about 5/6 weeks to get them strong and let them get hardened off before planting them.

Attachments

• IMG_9647.jpeg
      IMG_9647.jpeg
      566.4 KB · Views: 6
    • IMG_9646.jpeg
      IMG_9646.jpeg
      517.8 KB · Views: 6

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Planted radish, spinach, beets, and lettuce today with the weather looking warm and raining. Only watered the lettuce cause I am using the tape and you have to get the tape wet to sprout,

Potatoes are Going in to bags this year and will go in hopefully Easter Sunday.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Pretty happy with the progress so far . Need to re-pot the tomatoes and cucumbers into larger pots .
    Flowers are taking off , as well as the lettuce, broccoli , and peppers . Herbs always grow pretty slow .
    Should have our onions and strawberries planted next week .
    IMG_4872.JPG IMG_4873.JPG IMG_4874.JPG IMG_4875.JPG IMG_4876.JPG

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    Started 3/1 in seed domes and transferred in solo cups after 2 weeks.
    1.Several varieties of tomatoes
    2.cauliflower
    3.broccoli
    4. cabbage
    5. potatoes
    6. zucchini
    7. squash: yellow, butternut, spaghetti
    8. Cucumber
    9. Peas
    10. Please beans.

First year in my new place with raised beds.

Attachments

• 52587.jpeg
      52587.jpeg
      204.6 KB · Views: 4

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    Top Bottom