• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Sugar snap peas, salad mix/arugula and spinach all doing great in the tunnel. Can't wait to enjoy and share.

Attachments

• 20240331_095801.jpg
      20240331_095801.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 6
    • 20240331_095804.jpg
      20240331_095804.jpg
    • 20240331_095811.jpg
      20240331_095811.jpg

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Southern guys, i asked a while ago about what the lowest overnight temps can be when you put out broccoli and cauliflower plants and got no answers. Anyone care to comment??

Blazer90

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Lafayette
    Is it just me or is the rubarb going crazy this year ? We live outside of Lafayette and we planted 4 plants a few years ago. But the conditions must be perfect this year.

Also help please the wife was asking about the flowering pieces in the center. Should those be removed ??? Or just left alone ?

Attachments

• IMG_9308.jpeg
      IMG_9308.jpeg
      760.9 KB · Views: 2

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Just flipped my soil and added some nutrients, all natural, seabird, and rabbit guano. I will let that weather in and introduce some new HappyFrog soil, till er up and plant. I hope we get more rain than last season.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I got the garden partly planted today.
    planted 2 rows of potatoes, 1/2 row each of snow peas and sugar snaps, lettuces, mustards, carrots, radishes, cabbage and broccoli plants…

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I got the garden partly planted today.
    planted 2 rows of potatoes, 1/2 row each of snow peas and sugar snaps, lettuces, mustards, carrots, radishes, cabbage and broccoli plants…
    So its sqfe to plant broccoli n cauliflower up here. Also i can put my carrot seed strips in to 3ven with 30s overnight temps?

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    yes
    at least I do it every year about now
    Ok, i got those to go in the ground the next couple days then. What about tomatoe plants and melons. For a long time i had waited till about the 2nd week of may to plant because never could get answers from anyone on night temps.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Ok, i got those to go in the ground the next couple days then. What about tomatoe plants and melons. For a long time i had waited till about the 2nd week of may to plant because never could get answers from anyone on night temps.
    On the summer plants like those, I start watching the weather forecast about then. We have gotten frosts after mid and even late may, but that’s rare and you can’t routinely wait that late.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have planted radish spinach cabbage broccoli cauliflower beets lettuce and potatoes. These I always get going at this time of year till about may. I have strawberries in also.

Now I have two tomatoes burpee Fourth of July. Those two are planted and I will just cover as needed and if things get real bad I shall replant them. They are a 41 day till harvest tomato so like an early girl. I also have one cucumber that will go in shortly and I will secession plant another indoors when that one goes out and plant in ground another with the main crops.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    On the summer plants like those, I start watching the weather forecast about then. We have gotten frosts after mid and even late may, but that’s rare and you can’t routinely wait that late.
    The unpredictable cold/frost is why i was told not to plant this early, but never did anything early like the brassicas. I tried doing brassicas and letus from seed outside in August last year for fall crop but the frost ended up taking them out in November. Planting in mid may from plants was always a toss up because heads wouldn't develop very good because of being too hot mid summer.
    I have planted radish spinach cabbage broccoli cauliflower beets lettuce and potatoes. These I always get going at this time of year till about may. I have strawberries in also.

Now I have two tomatoes burpee Fourth of July. Those two are planted and I will just cover as needed and if things get real bad I shall replant them. They are a 41 day till harvest tomato so like an early girl. I also have one cucumber that will go in shortly and I will secession plant another indoors when that one goes out and plant in ground another with the main crops.
    As mentioned to Expat, I've never had the best luck with plantibg brassicas in mid may after frost. I give early planting a try. I've had strawberry bed for about 5 years now. I started with 4 varieties and down to what we like best..All-star.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The unpredictable cold/frost is why i was told not to plant this early, but never did anything early like the brassicas. I tried doing brassicas and letus from seed outside in August last year for fall crop but the frost ended up taking them out in November. Planting in mid may from plants was always a toss up because heads wouldn't develop very good because of being too hot mid summer.

As mentioned to Expat, I've never had the best luck with plantibg brassicas in mid may after frost. I give early planting a try. I've had strawberry bed for about 5 years now. I started with 4 varieties and down to what we like best..All-star.
    I purchased two main June berries. Honey-ohs and all stars. I get eight of each as mother plants and will have full blown beds by fall for next year.

I plant my fall stuff on the hottest days of August some cabbage broccoli cauliflower ect. Most of these are under 90 days to mature so sept Oct nov is 90.

Onions can go out now also just do not have the area ready and with 1.5 inch's of rain in forecast for the next two days it will be.

I will gamble with a few plants with late frost. Tomatoes I have had killed off to the ground level in may with frost. Thought I was going to have to plant again and from the roots sprung green tops again. We called them resurrection tomatoes and they produced fine.

Things like green beans I will plant. If the frost kills them I pull and plant again. One or two tomatoes and a single cuke are easy to cover with a bucket

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I purchased two main June berries. Honey-ohs and all stars. I get eight of each as mother plants and will have full blown beds by fall for next year.

I plant my fall stuff on the hottest days of August some cabbage broccoli cauliflower ect. Most of these are under 90 days to mature so sept Oct nov is 90.

Onions can go out now also just do not have the area ready and with 1.5 inch's of rain in forecast for the next two days it will be.

I will gamble with a few plants with late frost. Tomatoes I have had killed off to the ground level in may with frost. Thought I was going to have to plant again and from the roots sprung green tops again. We called them resurrection tomatoes and they produced fine.

Things like green beans I will plant. If the frost kills them I pull and plant again. One or two tomatoes and a single cuke are easy to cover with a bucket
    Strawberries go crazy. I'm about to bury about 15feet of plants that walked themselves into a flower bed 3 years ago. I started out with 4 beds the first year and a couple mobths later that year they were all dieing. Come to find out i had a bad grub problem. I started putting the gubx down usally in spring or fall. My soil is 100% horse stall mix which is saw dust and pee n poop which have cooked down to some nice stuff. Have been using this for about 10 years now. Regular garden was manure and then i pick up my grass and put around plants for a virtually weed free garden. I do tomatoes, snow peas, mellons and sometimes greenbean out there. Have been doing peppers carrots and brassicas in raised beds in front yard. Almost got flower weeds pulled for vegi plants. Supposed to rain later tonite and tomorrow though.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I got tge brassicas in yesterday along with carrot seed strips. Weather looks great then takes an over night nose dive in 4 days, but forecasts are always changing. If only the grass growing would slow down.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    @Expat , this sucks..looks like the next week I'll be covering the broccoli and cauliflower. Carrots haven't sprouted yet, not sure what to do about that..

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    @Expat , this sucks..looks like the next week I'll be covering the broccoli and cauliflower. Carrots haven't sprouted yet, not sure what to do about that..
    Carrot is a tricky little plant from seed. Can not start them inside as they do not transplant well. . Tiny seeds I always plant to close and have to thin out. I have to grow danners cause my soil is great but my beds are short.

Carrots can take up to two weeks to sprout. They also must never dry out during that time. I always use cardboard after planting carrots laying on top checking about daily on wetness (has not been an issue ) and the after a week checking for the sprouts starting. Once I see a few popped I remove the cardboard cover because they have sprouted just not pushed up above the soil yet.

I made a few 12x12 boards with planting hole spacing in them as I grow some stuff in square foot plantings. This above everything else has helped to not have to thin much. I plant two or three seeds per hole so normally I have to remove one or maybe two per hole as compared to how grandpa taught me to sow and light rack then thin the heck out of the space.

Top Bottom