• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Was wondering if anyone has planned their gardens, with all those pretty pictures in the seed catalogs tantalizing us now?

Any NEW varieties you will be trying? Or sticking to the usual, tried-n-true OP ones that you saved from last year?

Anyone doing germination tests with your saved seeds?

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    We have heirlooms from last year…. and the year before that.

We don’t do very much planning. Mostly it’s the same old thing with just a few changes here and there. Each year my wife tells me “I don’t think we should plant any broccoli this year” (she doesn’t like it) and I plant some anyway.

One thing new this year is I’ll be helping my 7 year old plant a mess of sweet corn that he will tend and sell to make a little money from. I think that’s about the only seed we’ll buy this year.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    We bought a bunch of heirloom seeds last year. I haven't gardened in many many years, mostly due to not having land. But, now I do!

Will be building a cold frame next month and starting tomatoes and anything else I want to try in the house soon.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not sure if you mean flower garden or Vegtables. I've got my tiller in the garage ready to go. I have a small plot next to the house, about 10'x40' and grow Tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, cabbage, and various peppers. Gave up on corn in my small plot, birds seem to pick it clean before I can. Just nuthin like your own home grown food. So what is everyones favorite variety of tomato? Most of the time we get Big Boys, or Better Boys, and use plenty of Miracle Grow. I'm open to more Ideas on any other variety, if any one has better luck with different ones than that.

A5guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Steuben County
    I've got 3 raised beds for root veggies and tomatoes, but I'll go for a 20x30 for corn and squash and stuff this year too. My first year at non GMO seeds and straight organic. Hope it goes well.

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    I have no space, but I use my family and friends started several blueberries a few years ago, yummy, expecting a bumper crop this year. Going to experiment with the dehydration process, nit enough freezer space.

Last year I froze 30 lbs awesome. There's a nice strawberry farm by the inlaws froze a hundred quarts gonna dehydrate those as well.

As far as typical garden spaghetti squash tried last year big hit stores well in a cool darkened place, got a friend who goes all out on sweet potatoes, another great one to store by the squash.

Now back on track, corn tomatoes, green beans, onions, want to start garlic and asparagus, melons ummm melons. Peppers, hot & bells; that's about it..

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Going try cabbage this year. I remember years ago the insects ruined them for me. My wife was not a fan until I made cabbage roles. She still hates sauerkraut and everything else cabbage related.

So last year pole beans and tomatoes did awesome, so I'll lighten up on that. I might try to do cukes on a trellis since they use so much area.

I'm going do some peat pots tonight.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Have seedlings started for spinach, broccoli and lettuce. I'll be ready to put them in the ground in a couple of weeks. I always plan ahead on the garden spots. Need to find onion sets to put in soon. :D

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I'm on a 3 year plan. I set up a raised garden 2 years ago, I then composed in it last year and now I'm out of ways to put it off any longer.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Im tilling a big garden this year! Gonna do some bucket gardening too. I wanna try some techniques I learned from an INGO member last year.
    Last year we used the ends of plastic 50 gallon barrels, drilled plenty of holes for drainage. Had really good results.

This year I have seeds already, started to till today but my tiller needs some work. Starting seeds inside tomorrow and fixing the tiller, then tilling.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Is there any place locally where I can buy heirloom tomato and pepper plants. I have never gardened before so I am not anxious to begin starting seeds at this point so if I can buy the plants started I feel like that would be a big help. I figured for a first year a few tomatoes, peppers, some onions and garlic just to get a feel for it.

Bull

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Jennings County
    I am getting spring fever and am ready to get out in the garden, just don't jump the gun. I have mine planned out in my head and am moving it a little from last years location.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    At my apartment, only have 2 strips about 1.5' x 8' long, maybe 10' long between my patio and the sidewalk out back.

I usually buy some assorted wildflower seeds, throw them out and hope for the best, lol.

I'm considering maybe trying some onions this year, the dirt seems pretty decent back there... What else could I do with that minimal space and minimal care?

It also only get direct sun for 3 or 4 hours, the apartment is on one side, and a 6' tall privacy fence about 6' away on the other side... the "pathway" between my apartment and the fence running North and South.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    At my apartment, only have 2 strips about 1.5' x 8' long, maybe 10' long between my patio and the sidewalk out back.

I'm considering maybe trying some onions this year, the dirt seems pretty decent back there... What else could I do with that minimal space and minimal care?
    It also only get direct sun for 3 or 4 hours, the apartment is on one side, and a 6' tall privacy fence about 6' away on the other side... the "pathway" between my apartment and the fence running North and South.

Be careful of dirt next to concrete & foundations, tends to have high pH and chemicals leeched in it. Might I suggest container gardening(mobile so you can move into better light at different times of the day) which would also elevate the plants and in theory they'd get a small fraction more sunlight (instead of being "deep in a hole", they'd be up higher in the hole & get more rays)
    If out of the question, raised-bed plantings could help you control the dirt environment anyway. Most veggies like more direct sun hours, though.
    I did findthis info:

Keep in mind that no vegetable will grow in full, dense shade. The following crops will produce with three to six hours of sun, or fairly constant dappled shade, per day.

Salad Greens, such as leaf lettuce, arugula, endive, and cress.
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Peas
    Beets
    Brussels Sprouts
    Radishes
    Swiss Chard
    Leafy Greens, such as collards, mustard greens, spinach, and kale
    Beans

We only have vague plans at this point. We're going to build some raised beds this year, and reclaim 1/2 the garden that's in a wet, low spot.
    LOL, my first try also was a wet, low spot & I didn't know it because it was a dry spring season when I planted there initially. Went uphill from there...

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    heres a PM I got from a member a year ago regarding bucket gardening. i cant wait to do it this year. im still gonna have a big garden but supliment it with the buckets. if nothing else it will be good preparedness for SHTF in an urban environment.

heres the PM ( I will keep the members identity hidden for their privacy. they obviously are free to reveal themselves if they wish):

"Using buckets are quite easy as long as you think "urban growing" By this I mean you need to train plants to grow up instead of out. Tall plants are easier to maintain and move while providing surface area for buds & veggie's and taking up less space. You can use what ever you have laying around the yard or go buy big tomato cages like I ended up doing. Stakes, fence poles, 2x2 lumber, anything will work. Drywall buckets work best and are around jobsites or are cheap enough to buy at Lowes, Menards,etc. 5-10 holes with a drillbit around the bottom and instant pots. Cages are easier and more permanent and I ended up using 5' and 6' cages then transferring to ground years later. As the plant grows, keep tying it up loosely around whatever support you are using and pinch "suckers" - little bottom branches as this will cause the plant to shoot up in height and move everything up the plant so later on you don't have to bend down.

The only problem I ever had using buckets was letting them dry out - so I would water every day, hot or cool & wet or dry soil. Within a week or two it became habit.

One of the great things using buckets are no tilling/disturbing the ground. I would start on one end of the drive way in the spring, move buckets as season changes and end up in the backyard by fall. Very easy to get enough sun. I allays put grass clippings on the top of the soil to help from drying up as fast - but just about anything organic will work - sawdust, chainsaw curlings, straw, etc.

Fertilizing is something you need to pay attention to. The buckets are small compared to the ground and vigorous growing plants can use up nutrients quickly. I have always been on the organic side instead of chemicals, but nutrient additives have come a long way, so which ever you choose will be fine, unless you use older fertilizers. I like to use more food at lower strength levels. The plants get food all the time, and weaker strength will help you avoid "burn" from to much. Growing should be high in nitrigon and flowering should switch to a high phosphors. You should get a good $25-$30 color picture book that include chapters with growing, bugs and disease. You will have minor problems with all at one time or another and a stack of books will help you keep on top of maintenance, but a good SIMPLE book will do wonders. Simple is good. Big thick tech books don't do any good if you don't understand the basics. If your not familiar with gardens alive, do yourself a favor a request a catalog form on line - well worth it.

I like to use "organcide", "neem oil", liquid copper, insecticidal soap, and a gardens alive product called "pyolia oil" for incests and disease. All these are organic and recommend using these instead of chemicals here, especially if your just starting to use. These problems can be from slight nusiance to major catastrophe. Again, I like multiple spraying with a slight weaker solution. All of these are available at Lowes, True Value, Menards as well as garden stores. If I had to pick just one for you to use, it would be "Organcide" - controls like 12 -15 common bugs and 4 common diseases. Read the labels and a good chapter from a book. Self explanatory even if it sounds like too much info to digest.

Dirt is also important. I like good black dirt. I mix compost, peat moss, worm casings and guano in a wheel barrow and fill up the buckets. The more organically you can prepare the soil , the less you will need to worry about fertilizer later on. If you have no access - I suggest Miracle grow dirt with fertilizer in the dirt. Cheap at about $10 a bag per 2 buckets or so.

Don't know where your at, but here by the IN/MI state line and the changing laws in MI - grow stores are popping up all over the place. I am a short drive away from specialty stores. Find yourself a store or nursery close by, Lowes will work if that all you have around you(during season). I start seeds we sow from last years crop. Alot of people like to buy established plants. Supplies are simple, but crucial, not to mention with all todays products, somebody who knows them can help you a long way with bigger harvests or fighting problems.

A little bit of planning with some materials gathered up will make starting up easier. Read up on the subject. Way to many mags and books to list. Alot are free if you look around for some. The internet has thousands of forums for gardening/organics/etc- lots of info from your chair. The old timers at the nursery's usually love to help people out. You will get out exactly what you put in. I only spend several hours a week at most once our spring planting is done and garden is established, but I enjoy doing it and reap the benefits all the way till our second and third frost most years.

Once you get this part down, then comes canning - which is stupidly simple. The ball "blue book" is the single best simple and complete canning book for around $
    8"

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Be careful of dirt next to concrete & foundations, tends to have high pH and chemicals leeched in it. Might I suggest container gardening(mobile so you can move into better light at different times of the day) which would also elevate the plants and in theory they'd get a small fraction more sunlight (instead of being "deep in a hole", they'd be up higher in the hole & get more rays)
    If out of the question, raised-bed plantings could help you control the dirt environment anyway. Most veggies like more direct sun hours, though.
    I did findthis info:

Keep in mind that no vegetable will grow in full, dense shade. The following crops will produce with three to six hours of sun, or fairly constant dappled shade, per day.

Salad Greens, such as leaf lettuce, arugula, endive, and cress.
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Peas
    Beets
    Brussels Sprouts
    Radishes
    Swiss Chard
    Leafy Greens, such as collards, mustard greens, spinach, and kale
    Beans

LOL, my first try also was a wet, low spot & I didn't know it because it was a dry spring season when I planted there initially. Went uphill from there...

Yeah, not sure about raised beds, would have to ask the apartment manager, but having never seen any in the complex in 14 years here, I assume they're not allowed (would also have to bring in extra dirt, probably the dealbreaker, because someone would have to remove it when I left).

I might try some herbs, as I'm really not much of a vegetable person, though in the past in growings herbs, certain ones (the mint family) have tended to take over...

Top Bottom