• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I decided to go to a full acre this year. Last year, I had a great showing of vine plants, grean beans, asparagus, lettuce, and onions. What didn't go good were my potatoes, so this I have already brought up old tires and mixed the soil in them with ash from my woodstove. I hope that it will allow them to grow bigger, plus I am going to plow and disk this year, not just till.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Yeah, not sure about raised beds, would have to ask the apartment manager, but having never seen any in the complex in 14 years here, I assume they're not allowed (would also have to bring in extra dirt, probably the dealbreaker, because someone would have to remove it when I left).

I might try some herbs, as I'm really not much of a vegetable person, though in the past in growings herbs, certain ones (the mint family) have tended to take over...

We had a good little tomato garden growing at one of the apartment complexes we lived at, right next to the concrete patio. Never had a problem, and always did pretty well, despite the limited sun.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I hoping to add a bit of space to our garden this year. The zucchini like to take over anything near them! It is about 15x30 now, and I'll add only another 6x6 for the 2-3 zucchini plants. My father-in-law is a real green thumb, and gets our seeds started. We'll get the cold frame going before long, and start tilling. I need to set my irrigation system back up (rain barrels, pump, and drip lines).

On the list for this year is:
    - cucumbers
    - tomatoes (roma, beefsteak or similar, and cherry)
    - peppers (green, red, banana, etc...)
    - bush beans
    - onions (red, yellow, and white)
    - zucchini
    - sunflowers
    - sweet corn
    - various herbs (oregano, dill, rosemary, chives, etc...)

We might try carrots and radishes. We'll stick to the "tried and true" hybrids for now. I'd like to try heirlooms seeds, but I haven't convinced my wife yet. Once we get a few productive years, and get a canning routine going, maybe we'll start switching over.

Top Bottom