• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    A lot of places with discounts have a 15 gal. limit here. Most people with 15 gal. tanks fill up and put the extra in a gas can and take it home with them for later. Mower always needs fed too. :)

Ouch, Jay C (Kroger) by me has a 35 gallon limit when using your discount. I have to take 4 gas cans to maximize my discount limit when I fill up... And because I normally fill up about ever 2 weeks the gas in the cans gets me through a whole month... So I save up my discount to get the max ... the most I've had off was $0.80/gal... that was nice...

wabashman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Peru kroger only has the 100$ limit the pump has on it. Filled up both cars plus several gas cans the other week when i used my discount.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ouch, Jay C (Kroger) by me has a 35 gallon limit when using your discount. I have to take 4 gas cans to maximize my discount limit when I fill up... And because I normally fill up about ever 2 weeks the gas in the cans gets me through a whole month... So I save up my discount to get the max ... the most I've had off was $0.80/gal... that was nice...

I've taken gas cans too, to take full advantage. A friend of mine at work said his son, one day, stopped by with his little econo-box that has about a 12-15 gallon gas tank and decided to "top off". He was bragging about how little he spent because of his discount. Ole dad, I think, did quite well not strangling him right on the spot when he used the discount to buy 7-8 gallons of gas. :laugh:

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    I was at a Circle K 2 months ago filling up when their price was down and had 2 gas cans. When they saw that I was starting to fill the 2nd can, they cut off the pump. Oh well. It's a game.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was at a Circle K 2 months ago filling up when their price was down and had 2 gas cans. When they saw that I was starting to fill the 2nd can, they cut off the pump. Oh well. It's a game.

We keep a lot of fuel stored. When the price is stupid High I rotate the older fuel into my trucks. When it falls I bee-line to file the jugs. It is some work but hey, I am retired....:)

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    ...and while I'm at it (rant alert), and generally in a pi55y mode today, if your vehicle is a gasoline vehicle, DON'T park on the ONLY diesel pump and go in to shop. Please. Park on one of the other 8+ pumps that are gasoline only.

Happens allthefriggintime at JJ's north of Bedford. Makes me want to drop it in low and shove them out of the way.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Well at least part of this is true.

In all honesty the gas is what it is. We can all complain about it however much we want, but unless we start walking or riding bicycles everywhere we will still have to buy it. It's been 3.15 to 3.20 around here until today it jumped up to 3.29. But I'll still get it if I need it
    :+1:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Seldom ever see Diesel in the Bedford area below $3.80/gal.

Can anyone explain why diesel - byproduct of gasoline distillation - is always WAY more than gasoline?
    My guess would be lower demand. You're right though... diesel takes less refining than gasoline, so you would think it would cost less. Then again, gas/fuel in general doesn't seem to follow any of the rules of Econ 101.

Example... If a colder than normal winter is predicted in Florida, the price of oranges doesn't jump until that prediction comes true and crops are actually effected. The oil companies/speculators use the excuse that something might happen to disrupt supply in the future to jack prices up today, and when nothing does happen to disrupt that supply, the price never drops accordingly.

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Seldom ever see Diesel in the Bedford area below $3.80/gal.

Can anyone explain why diesel - byproduct of gasoline distillation - is always WAY more than gasoline?

Supply and demand. The fact that diesel is made at the same time as gasoline doesn't change the fact that it is subject to the same rules as any other product.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Cost of fuel - to produce and deliver - is generally the same the world over. Where it's much higher than the US (i.e. European Nations) the taxes are much higher. Where it's much lower (i.e. Saudi Arabia and Venezuela) fuel is government subsidizes. Gas prices worldwide: Norwegian gas is double U.S. price - Mar. 10, 2011

In places like South Africa Diesel is the most popular fuel - reverse what you see here in the states. For instance a fuel station would have 8 diesel pumps and 2 gasoline pumps. Almost everything in South Africa is diesel (with much higher fuel efficiency engines) and standard transmission. If you can't drive a standard transmission, you're not a driver in South Africa you're a passenger.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Supply and demand. The fact that diesel is made at the same time as gasoline doesn't change the fact that it is subject to the same rules as any other product.

Why diesel costs more - Gasbuddy Gas Prices

"Third, the introduction of Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel(ULSD),which was gradually phased into the market between 2006 and 2010 to replace the on-highway diesel fuel known as Low Sulfur Diesel(LSD) mandated by the Environmental Protection Agency, required approximately $8 billion in refinery infrastructure upgrades. Naturally, that cost was passed on to you, the consumer. The Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel added about 10 cents a gallon to the cost.

And last but not least, taxes. The federal tax on diesel is 24.4 cents per gallon, versus 18.4 cents for gasoline. The last increase was in the early '90s and tht's when diesel was generally less expensive than gasoline."

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    And last but not least, taxes. The federal tax on diesel is 24.4 cents per gallon, versus 18.4 cents for gasoline. The last increase was in the early '90s and tht's when diesel was generally less expensive than gasoline."

Doesn't change my statement one iota. Taxes and regulations affect supply and demand. They aren't excluded from the equation. Depending on the specifics of those taxes/regulations, they can move the supply and demand curves (exogenous factors in econ-speak), but in the end, it is still a matter of determining the price where supply and demand balance. Evidence? Is there a shortage of diesel? Is there excess supplies that people aren't buying and so refiners have increasing stock on hand or are holding back on producing more? If not, then the market has balanced all of the factors (including government interventions) and come up with a price.

Top Bottom