Gas for a penny a gallon due to glitch: do you buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you buy?

• Total voters

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Good points in here and very informative when looking for integrity among the crowd.
    Self respect has its own rewards.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    For those that are thinking you are somehow making the oil company's pay.... The oil company's are still going to get their money regardless if the store owner sales the gas for $.01 or $5.00. The only one that's getting ****ed is the store owner.. Not the big oil company's..

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I probably wouldn't even notice. When I need gas I pull up to the pump, swipe my card, and fill up. I usually don't look at the numbers on the pump. I look at the sign when I'm pulling in. Then while it's filling I go in and get a drink or something.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I probably wouldn't even notice. When I need gas I pull up to the pump, swipe my card, and fill up. I usually don't look at the numbers on the pump. I look at the sign when I'm pulling in. Then while it's filling I go in and get a drink or something.

....Now, where do you buy gas? *loading gas cans in truck*

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If I rolled in without looking at the price sign (highly un-likely) and topped off the tank with out looking at the pump price (again un-likley) after swiping my card....yeah, too late. Its mine.
    If looking at all of the price indicators it is highly un-likely you could even get close to the place.

No, I would not pull in......has to be a catch.....:dunno:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Couple of thoughts...

First, I do believe it is wrong and that morally it is stealing, even though legally it probably is not. I say don't do it.

Secondly, while stealing is stealing, I do think that the situation of the victim does factor into the gravity of a theft. The harm caused in taking from a poor(er) person is much greater than that to one who has much excess. This is not to excuse stealing from the rich, but rather to really harshly condemn those who steal from those who are in need.

It is the flip side of the widows mite, her merit was great despite the small amount because she gave from her need, not from her excess; while the rich person's merit was little though his gift from his excess was great.

In this case, it appears you are taking from some working stiff and probably from his need. I see no way to justify it.

(However, if we were dealing with an entity which intentionally employed predatory contractual provisions without regard to what was actually due, the argument for buying would be much stronger. That whole measure by which you measure thing...)

Joe

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I went and filled up my Grand Cherokee at the BP at Washington and Emerson. I put in about 16 gals of gas and the pump registered $3 and change. I went in and told the cashier that the pump price was messed up and I filled my tank up. She came back at me all rude and demanded I pay what the pump shows. I still tried to explain it to her and she demanded what the pump price showed or she was calling the cops. I knew it would be a long, drawn out ordeal if the cops showed up and I told them I wanted to pay more for gas.
    I paid the $3 and change and gave thanks that the clerk was NOT an employee of mine.
    Oh, on this poll I'd tell the clerk the pump wasn't reading properly.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I'd let the whoever was in charge know, and if they let me walk out with the gas I'm clean. I'm always in favor of eliminating temptation by including other people who have no vested interest in aiding me in doing something wrong.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Half of INGO does not care if they hurt someone, sad indeed.

Yeah. To those who would fill up: If the store owner were standing in front of you, would you reach into his pocket and take his money? Taking advantage of a price glitch on the pump is just a coward's way of robbing him.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    after filling my tank, i'd douse the entire station with cheap gas and burn it to the ground. the owner's insurance check will hopefully be enough for him to retire, thereby helping the little guy and screwing big business. win/win/win.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    First, taking advantage of a problem of which the seller is unaware is wrong and so far as I am concerned, theft.

Second, in an event like the Walmart example, if I make a point of bringing it to the seller's attention, and he willfully offers me the product at the price, I am probably not going to argue with him, but I certainly wouldn't demand that he honor an error. In past experiences, I haven't held a seller (who was willing to honor an offer he willfully made but regretted) to a deal he wasn't comfortable with, let alone demand one honor an error he did NOT willfully make.

Third, I may make a personal policy of counting my fingers after shaking hands.

I would also add that I recall hearing of a similar situation a few years back in which the seller discovered the error and retroactively corrected the credit card charges to the intended price for the gas and so far as I am aware there was nothing those taking advantage of the error could do about it, so caveat emptor taken to a new level.

Top Bottom