• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    My 2017 Toyota Tacoma has dropped it's MPG.

I thought the gas stations switch to a winter blend of gasoline so maybe it sucks with regards to mileage.

Are you warming your car up and it is using gas while idling?

Reactions: Leo

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Winter blend. Happens every year. Got worse with the switch to ethanol several years back.

Wife’s car drops about 2-3mpg this time of year. Instead of 35/36 she’s getting 32-33. Truck dropped from 18/19 in the day to day To 17-18.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Anyone else getting crappy gas mileage lately?? My '14 Dodge Nitro has always sucked on gas mileage but my '15 Ram was pretty good until lately. Cheap gas?
    Could be bad gas, does fuelling up other places have an impact on it?

The cold weather will automatically lower mpg, but that should really only be 2-3 mpg change. There are some mechanical things that can impact mileage as well though.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Glad I found this thread; I thought I was going crazy. I have a 2016 Grand Cherokee with 45,000 miles, and was getting 19-20 city MPG until a month or so ago. 16 now.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I loose a couple mpg in the winter, but if the windows are frosty in the morning , I start the car and go back in the house for more coffee. When I finish the cup, the car is nice and warm. I figured that accounts for my loss.
    Yes this is part of it. The other part is it's colder, cold air is more dense. More air means more fuel is added to maintain the proper air fuel ratios.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I loose a couple mpg in the winter, but if the windows are frosty in the morning , I start the car and go back in the house for more coffee. When I finish the cup, the car is nice and warm. I figured that accounts for my loss.
    When it's cold, the injection runs richer to start and until the car reaches operating temp. If the incoming air remains cold, it will run a bit richer as long as it is. A few other factors as well.

Reactions: Leo

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    When it's cold, the injection runs richer to start and until the car reaches operating temp. If the incoming air remains cold, it will run a bit richer as long as it is. A few other factors as well.
    THIS^^^

I go from about 24 to 21 mpg in the cold weather. I find using quality gas helps (Kroger gas sucks in my SUV). I also use Techron every 5000 miles. Also don‘t dismiss colder weather stiffens tire compounds and causes a little more slippage. Lots of reasons for fewer mpg in cold weather.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Guess I am lucky. My Tundra never trends outside of its 14-16 mpg window. Doesn't matter the season, how fast or slow I drive, sea level or 10,000 ft mountains. I have never seen it outside this window.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom