• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have had the same problem. I had using the "cheap" Marathon stations.
    When back to Speedway, now no problem.
    FYI. The gas is exactly the same except for the additives. Speedway uses basic non-branded additives and Marathon uses STP additives and more of them. It comes from the same terminal.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    FYI. The gas is exactly the same except for the additives. Speedway uses basic non-branded additives and Marathon uses STP additives and more of them. It comes from the same terminal.
    I just heard that this past week! LoL

Yeah, between dense colder air, winter blend fuel, and idling to warm up before driving off, I always expect my winter mileage to go down a bit. I principally use Shell or BP brands.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I thought I was going crazy also.

I've had this vehicle for over 12 winters and this year the fuel gauge really got my attention.

Runs great. Doesn't smell gassy (it has in past cold seasons). Just drinks it down way faster this last couple of weeks.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Speedway, until recently, was the company store for Marathon Petroleum. Marathon stations are franchise stations for Marathon Petroleum.

Reactions: Leo

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Gas mileage what a novel concept!

2011 Cadillac Escalade 6.2 L 14.5 mpg must use 93 octane
    2017 Jeep Rubicon 17 mpg
    2001 Tundra 4.7 15 mpg
    2020 GT 500 Shelby 12-14 mpg must use 93 octane
    2021 Super Stock yeah it can empty a 20 gal tank in what seems like minutes must use 93 octane.
    If you drive it normal on eco mode it will hit 20 mpg.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Speedway, until recently, was the company store for Marathon Petroleum. Marathon stations are franchise stations for Marathon Petroleum.
    You are correct. I'm very aware of the situation. Per the contract when the parent company of 7-11 bought Speedway, Marathon will continue to be the main supplier of gas to Speedway until 2036.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    There is very little difference in the gas around a certain location. I load at a Marathon terminal in Michigan that supplies all of the gas to the BP and Shell stations in the area. The only difference is the additives. There are Citgo terminals that supply the Marathon gas in Ohio. Same gas, different additive package

"Bad gas" is mostly caused by one of two reasons. The station itself doesn't so the upkeep on the underground tanks or equipment, allowing the fuel to become contaminated. Or the carrier/gas truck does something to affect product quality. Like not having a totally empty compartment from the last station and then loading on top of it for the next one. Or the driver drops the wrong product in the wrong tank.
    All of the above happen more than folks realize.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

“Despite those higher prices, summer gasoline contains about 1.7 percent more energy than winter gasoline. Warmup times aside, that’s why you could measure reduced fuel economy outside the summer months.”

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Yup, mileage sucks in the winter. Depends on the vehicle and drive cycle... just like the base mileage. The worse the starting mileage, the less difference it'll make... it's a percentage difference, not an absolute. Winter blend fuel, thicker fluids, richer startup, longer time in warmup enrichment, more energy use for defoggers and blowers, higher pumping losses from denser air, air resistance from denser air, etc it all adds up. Every car I've seen made in the last 30 years runs the AC on defrost to dehumidify the air, many run it on the foot setting (and foot/vent) as well. My wife's mazda only didn't run the AC on dash-vents only. Safe bet anything new enough to be fuel injected does it.

I keep my mileage up by just not driving the truck... that's why I picked up a 1st gen Insight. current tank's down to 49.9 with a bunch of driveway warmup this morning. Between the weather, the range cooling down for the winter, and working from home It's literally been a month since I filled it. For the hybrid haters, 500 miles in 9 gallons vs 250 miles in 20 gallons is a box of ammo every 150 miles. Priorities!

Top Bottom