• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Now, hear me out, what do you say about private citizens owning hydrogen bombs or ICBMs?

When I argue with people about 2A and they ask me this, I honestly don't know how to reply. I feel like saying sure, because the equivalent arms 300 years ago were private citizens owning a fleet of their own personal warships with the ability to muster a militia at any time.

And it wouldn't be like every other person could afford a nuke. It would just be a very small amount of people, like in the past with owning a fleet of warships.

But I dunno if I'd want Jeff Bezos to be able to buy nukes?

But shall not be infringed kind of means its absolute...
    Far as I'm concerned the 2A protects the right of private citizens to own fusion powered starships with VLS cells full of nuclear missiles, if they are so capable of building one.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Far as I'm concerned the 2A protects the right of private citizens to own fusion powered starships with VLS cells full of nuclear missiles, if they are so capable of building one.
    I really think after the debate on YT got into the "prohibited persons" and I realized I was wrong the only logical conclusion would be that I need to be on board with citizens being able to own those as well.

I mean, it would be the only way to keep government in check. We can't let there be a power gap.

So I guess I'll start saving for a fusion powered starship... might take a few months but I'll get there one day.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Now, hear me out, what do you say about private citizens owning hydrogen bombs or ICBMs?

When I argue with people about 2A and they ask me this, I honestly don't know how to reply...
    The standard for which "arms" we have a right to keep and bear, as currently defined by the Heller decision, are those in common use for lawful purposes.

I would agree that, shall not be infringed, goes beyond that, but that's what we got.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    The standard for which "arms" we have a right to keep and bear, as currently defined by the Heller decision, are those in common use for lawful purposes.

I would agree that, shall not be infringed, goes beyond that, but that's what we got.
    But that standard should be changed after Bruen, should it not?

There is no historical tradition of banning *any* types of arms like bombs.

One could argue ICBMs are an evolution of cannons. Which were in common use.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    "The Right to Safety Amendment will raise the minimum age to buy a gun from 18 to 21, mandate universal background checks, institute a waiting period for all gun purchases, and ban assault rifles for civilians – while leaving the Second Amendment intact. Additionally, the Right to Safety will affirm Congress, states, and local governments can enact common-sense gun safety laws that save lives."

Help me understand the "overrule" 2nd amendment part. Raising the minimum age...not a huge deal.
    What other rights should 18-20 year old citizens have infringed? Freedom of speech? Freedom of religion? Due process? Freedom from search and seizure?

Or just their right to keep and bear arms?

Background checks...every gun I've purchased from online or gun store...check.
    What have background checks accomplished? Further: what would be required to enforce BGCs for private sales?

Waiting period...not specified to what that means in detail...jury's still out on that one.
    Carol Boyne would like a word.

Ban on ARs...nothing new there. Don't own one, but don't care if a private citizen does. That might be the only point I am in disagreement with.
    Well, at least you're one for four. :rolleyes:

Help me understand the sky is falling and I should be very afraid. I'm not one to jump on the "it's coming from the other side", whichever side that may be, then it's bad.
    "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Do you need help with the definition of "infringed"?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Raising the minimum age is no big deal? Do you have any children? A 18-20 yr old living on their own can't have a firearm for protection? Waiting periods? Imagine a woman who gets out of an abusive relationship whose ex threatens to get her, she has to wait several days to weeks to obtain a firearm for protection? Now imagine that woman is your daughter. Still feel the same? And yes a woman was killed by an abusive ex in NY while waiting for permission to obtain a firearm.
    New Jersey. Her name was Carol Boyne.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    A. I don't fear law-abiding people owning anything at all
    B. Criminals will obtain whatever they want, regardless of laws
    C. ICBMs and hydrogen bombs are, by definition, not arms and therefore are not protected against infringement by the second amendment

When I argue with people about 2A and they ask me this, I honestly don't know how to reply. I feel like saying sure, because the equivalent arms 300 years ago were private citizens owning a fleet of their own personal warships with the ability to muster a militia at any time.

And it wouldn't be like every other person could afford a nuke. It would just be a very small amount of people, like in the past with owning a fleet of warships.

But I dunno if I'd want Jeff Bezos to be able to buy nukes?

But shall not be infringed kind of means its absolute...

Top Bottom