www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    To the OP...

Thank you for your detailed contribution and elaboration. Please take it easy on our boomer old eyes and use paragraphs. First inclination when seeing a huge glob of words like that is to skip over it.

PLEASE!!!!!
    You do not have an obligation to prove you're selling to a proper person.

You can not knowingly sell to an improper person.

Showing a LTCH or Indiana DL is only good for proving you're an Indiana resident in my opinion.

The more unnecessary hoops you willingly jump through only encourages the antis more.
    This is correct. Indiana law just says you cant sell to a known "improper person". (and they must be a resident of IN)

If a coworker says "Hey, my brother is in trouble and needs to buy a gun. Ever since he got out of federal prison, his old gang banger buddies are out to get him. Can you help?" You cant sell to him because now you know he isnt proper.

But If I dont know you and you turn out to be a felon, I'm not in trouble. But many people want more of a buffer of liability. They want proof that you are a resident and proper. Flashing the DL and LTCH makes the seller feel more comfortable because they can say they saw the two things that "prove" they are proper. (yes, photoshop) But even if it WAS photoshopped, as long as you dont know its photoshopped you're still cool.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and I prefer the flashing of the cards. But only if I dont know you. (e.g. not a prolific INGOer) I have yet to find anyone that was disagreeable to it. (not that I have sold many guns)

It also helps weed out those who try to sneak under the radar. Coworker has the same requirements. Sold a pistol to a guy on armslist. Kid shows up looking sketch as hell. Maybe not even of age. Wouldnt you know it? He forgot his wallet. My buddy told him no deal, but he'd hold it a couple of days. Call him when the wallet is found and they can meet up again. Guess who's phone never rang?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A bill of sale is of questionable value unless you both appear before a notary and have it notarized. I can make up 10 bills of sale this afternoon showing that I sold my entire gun collection to you.

I also don't necessarily want some guy I have never met before to have my personal history like address since he now knows that I might in fact have more guns at home, beyond the 10 I sold to you.

I comply with the law. I may not knowingly sell a gun to a non proper person. The law does not require me to do a background check on you. If you feel you need one done, go to the LGS and have them do the transfer. If I have a hinky feeling about you. I just won't deal with you.
    Precisely.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    You can always PM a mod or a long-standing member to get an opinion about a buyer or seller. Honestly, most folks want to sell to reputable persons and one must always be careful these days.
    Ingo people, for the most part, are tried and true patriots and are normal hard working Americans. Use your gut and instincts about any transaction.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    When I'm selling, I almost always note in my ads that if I don't know you personally, I will want to see your IN driver's licence and your LTCH when we meet. If I even remember to check during the meeting, I'm looking to see that the street address matches on both cards. To my simple way of thinking, the IN driver's licence proves residence and the LTCH required a background check. If both street addresses match, I believe I've done my due diligence to verify that you're a proper person. Is this foolproof ... heck no, but it works for me and that's all that matters as the seller.
    Only issue I see with this, one can update their address with the state for the LTCH and it won't match the drivers license with the new address.
    My pink card has my old address, but I opted not to pay for a new card when I updated my address online with the ISP.

And as long as I don't get stopped by a Westfield PD officer, I should be good to go. Right @Cameramonkey ?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And as long as I don't get stopped by a Westfield PD officer, I should be good to go. Right @Cameramonkey ?
    Thanks a lot. I was just getting over that.

I guess I'll never get over Mucho Grande.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Only issue I see with this, one can update their address with the state for the LTCH and it won't match the drivers license with the new address.
    My pink card has my old address, but I opted not to pay for a new card when I updated my address online with the ISP.

You should have highlighted the first part of my sentence ... "If I even remember to check during the meeting".

Now, I must put you on my "do not deal with" list. Unless ... unless you disclose that information prior to the meeting, and bring a note signed by your mother to the meeting ... yeah, that should work to convince me that you're a proper person.

Apply purple if deemed necessary.

USMCEngineerGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2022
    West Lafayette
    You ask a lot of questions..................... You a cop?
    You HAVE to answer truthfully because I've asked you..................I watch alot of movies and know the law.
    Welcome to Indiana and INGO, and congrats on putting that shot-hole state in your rearview mirror.
    @jerrab @wcd

What?? You think I'm a rat? You think I got a wire in my car? You think I'm a Stool Pigeon? Say it to my face if you're going to do this!! You know not for nothing but I think you owe me an apology!!! Hahahaha
    Thanks for the welcome....
    2 points if you can name the movie LOL
    Hint "FORGET ABOUT IT!!!

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I hope we see less people asking for LTCH now that it's less relevant. It was never that great of a "check" anyway.

According to the ISP, there are over 1.2 million pink cards issued as of 4/1/22, and there are about 4.5 million 5 million adult Hoosiers.

With those numbers there's gonna be no shortage of people that have got a pink card then committed a felony later and still have the card.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I can see a seller wanting to assure himself, to the best of his ability, that he's NOT putting a firearm in the hands of an improper person. I also can see someone going too far with the process, but as the seller, it's their call to make and the buyer gets to decide if they will purchase the gun under those conditions.

I have bought through the classifieds here and every transaction went as smooth as it gets, zero surprises for both parties. Good communication and as much familiarity as possible through the site helps too. Throw in punctuality and be respectful and ya got yourself the makings of a smooth transaction.

As far as showing a LTC or a DL, I don't care, if that's what it takes, so be it. As for written receipts for both parties and having it notarized by the pope himself...................ehhhh, it better be one helluva deal in my favor.

The seller sets the conditions and the buyer makes the decision to buy or not.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I can see a seller wanting to assure himself, to the best of his ability, that he's NOT putting a firearm in the hands of an improper person. I also can see someone going too far with the process, but as the seller, it's their call to make and the buyer gets to decide if they will purchase the gun under those conditions.

I have bought through the classifieds here and every transaction went as smooth as it gets, zero surprises for both parties. Good communication and as much familiarity as possible through the site helps too. Throw in punctuality and be respectful and ya got yourself the makings of a smooth transaction.

As far as showing a LTC or a DL, I don't care, if that's what it takes, so be it. As for written receipts for both parties and having it notarized by the pope himself...................ehhhh, it better be one helluva deal in my favor.

The seller sets the conditions and the buyer makes the decision to buy or not.
    Agree, but would add that this all needs to be up front.
    Just did a deal where “cash only” turned into PayPal (ex mil, no local bank, ok), then wanted a picture of DL (he was taking the risk on the PayPal end I guess).
    Not relevant to this thread is the fact that it didn’t come as pictured, it came as he vaguely described later in dm’s (returned to factory condition, no threaded barrel).

So anyway, I gave him the DL because I wanted the gun, and had driven 45 minutes to him.

Been wondering what the repercussions of this could be.

It just all needs to be up front.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes. UPFRONT. Don’t change the rules of the transaction at the meetup.

oh, and if you aren’t coming alone, say so. People can get real nervous when they think they are 2 dudes doing a transaction, When instead a carload of dudes shows up instead. Stories of people going to do a deal and a carload shows up, and the entire car empties, robbing the other guy of either his cash, gun, or both.

A wife or girlfriend is no big deal, but other dudes who have nothing to do with the transaction? Shady. Or :gheyhi: ( but nothing wrong with that :): )

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Yes. UPFRONT. Don’t change the rules of the transaction at the meetup.

oh, and if you aren’t coming alone, say so. People can get real nervous when they think they are 2 dudes doing a transaction, When instead a carload of dudes shows up instead. Stories of people going to do a deal and a carload shows up, and the entire car empties, robbing the other guy of either his cash, gun, or both.

A wife or girlfriend is no big deal, but other dudes who have nothing to do with the transaction? Shady. Or :gheyhi: ( but nothing wrong with that :): )
    My son will sometimes sell non firearms things on FB market place. I always go with him. He will always meet people at MJ PD or Lowes. Both are pretty low risk areas.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    It's sellers choice for sellers reasons. Around here, it's split on who feels comfortable doing a bill of sale. Therefore a seller will immediately lose half of their potential customer base. Realistically, it's about feeling warm and fuzzy about not selling to a "bad guy".
    I have had more than one seller INSIST on meeting at an FFL Dealer for any pistol transfer. It seems to be largely a personal preference as to how comfortable each seller feels with any combination of bill-o-sale, FFL Transfer, Drivers Lic and or a LTCH. Largely to ensure you are not selling to an illegal buyer from Illinois/Chicago, Illegal to the US, or even ATF Agents!

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I have had more than one seller INSIST on meeting at an FFL Dealer for any pistol transfer. It seems to be largely a personal preference as to how comfortable each seller feels with any combination of bill-o-sale, FFL Transfer, Drivers Lic and or a LTCH. Largely to ensure you are not selling to an illegal buyer from Illinois/Chicago, Illegal to the US, or even ATF Agents!
    Are we not allowed to sell to ATF agents?
    Also, do you think this caution is due to your proximity to chicago?

Top Bottom