Get an MP5 or do I already have one in my MPX?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    For years, I have been wanting an MP5. It was one of the first guns I ever remember really desiring to own. However, the sometimes unreliable clones and the steep price tag always kept me away. Now that H&K has released a semi-auto MP5 into the US market, I have been looking at them again.

Thing is....I already bought an MPX. SBR'd it, chopped down the barrel and got a suppressor for it. Kinda feeling like buying an MP5 now would just be like buying the same gun as my MPX (yes....I know roller lock vs. blowback, etc). I can think of other things to spend $2000+ on, but that old desire to own and MP5 is still haunting me.

What say you, INGO?

tacticalmaster45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 18, 2016
    Evansville
    If I was to purchase a MP5 clone it'd probably be one of Zenith's offerings - I handled one at the Louisville NRA show and was impressed. The downsides of an MP5 are the expensive parts, mags, and age of its design. My father owns a full-auto MP5 and its an incredibly fun gun, but it requires a lot of maintenance. With that said, I love the looks of the MPX and that would be my "go-to" PCC. I currently own a CZ Scorpion Evo SBR and really think it is the best "bang for the buck".

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am with TM45 I don't see any reason not to go with a Zenith. I just bought an MPX, and it's only because it's ambi and I can't get the MP5 I want ambi in my price range. Supposedly Zenith is coming out with a lefty one soon though. With that being said I would buy from Zenith in full confidence, and to be honest I like it more than the HK they have, and it's cheaper... If budget isn't an issue go with a Dakota Tactical! I think that there are lots of options out there to go with that don't even include HK and would honestly be my choice over it. I want to suppress an MPK and the HK I was looking at doesn't have any option for it.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Well, if you want to go with something a bit more interesting, Atlantic Firearms is the distrubtor for Omega HK clones, and are selling barreled uppers (complete receivers with bolts and pistol end cap, just missing the trigger group) for MP5SDs for $1749.00. Add on a trigger group for about $270, a A3 US made stock for about $139, and a TPM or RCM MP5SD suppressor for between $500 and $600, and you'll have yourself a slick (and quiet) little MP5SD SBR. It will definitely be an attention getter on the range.

Upper/Receiver:

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...th-wide-mouth-hand-guard-detail.html?Itemid=0

Stock:

ATI MP5F Collapsible Stock New, two position, MP5, HK94, HK33, HK93 MP540, MP5SD, HKK-1159, RTG Parts

Complete Trigger Group:

HK94 9mm Semi Auto Lower Complete, Trigger Pack, SA MP5, HKK-1571, RTG Parts

Suppressor:

TPM Outfitters gun store

Silencers

Finally, just add a full auto registered sear for another $30k, and you'll be having all sorts of fun. :D

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I own both and the MPX would be choice if I could have one over the other. It has so much more built into it for options and upgrades and I love the rail space. With mp5 clones you run the risk of one part not working with your build.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Have you ever shot an mp5? The nostalgia seeps into your bloodstream. You'll turn into a Beowulf if not careful.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Lots of good info in this thread. I also have both, but I'm a sub gun addict. Minus Beowulf's gun budget, I'll have to settle for SBR's.

My dilemma at this point, is should I send my Coharie SBR in to become a MP5SD, or just buy one.

I say get the MP5 of your choice, they are awesome guns. Clone problems, though fairly common, are usually easy to fix with better parts.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I've been considering the MPX-or-MP5 clone dilemma lately as well. What I finally came up with is: If you want a reasonably priced 9mm SBR with lots of value, the MPX looks like the way to go. But if you want an MP-5 with the nostalgia/cool factor... start stuffin' the piggy bank.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Have you ever shot an mp5? The nostalgia seeps into your bloodstream. You'll turn into a Beowulf if not careful.

Hey now, I resemble that remark. :laugh:

Lots of good info in this thread. I also have both, but I'm a sub gun addict. Minus Beowulf's gun budget, I'll have to settle for SBR's.

My dilemma at this point, is should I send my Coharie SBR in to become a MP5SD, or just buy one.

I say get the MP5 of your choice, they are awesome guns. Clone problems, though fairly common, are usually easy to fix with better parts.

Personally, having done both of those, more or less, if your budget allows for it, I'd just buy one of the Omega SD barreled uppers and finish it out. Then you'll have both and you'll probably be happier with the result. If you want an actual SD, the amount of money you'll need to spend in parts and labor to convert your Coharie will likely not be worth it. Now, if you wanted to do a faux SD, like I did, ZR Tactical did one for me out of a relatively inexpensive Coharie I found on Gunbroker and it was really reasonable for the build and parts and looks great. However, it doesn't have a ported barrel and with my subgun can on it, it looks really long (though there are shorter subgun cans that would help correct that problem).

glocktoys

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    mishawaka, up north
    i wish i could get a good mp5 style to sbp. love the mp5k with qd for my can and side folder but will end up with a mpx with sig brace till i can get a form done for a mp5 style stock and pretend with my can on the mpx it is a mp5sd :) lots of good info here too. sorry for the bump, just found it when poking around here

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My personal opinion...

If the MPX and MP5 would have come out at the same time, the MPX would have run the MP5 out of business.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    My personal opinion...

If the MPX and MP5 would have come out at the same time, the MPX would have run the MP5 out of business.

As cool as the MPX is, Sig isn't really following through with all of the promised parts. Where are all the different barrel lengths, caliber conversions, etc? They promised the interchangeability that the MP5 never had, but at this point, I would be surprised if it ever happens. Great idea, but about 50 years late to the party.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My personal opinion...

To be fair, if they mp5 had all this time to "catch up" in design I think it would still be the better choice. It would probably have a last shot bolt hold open, a more versatile hand guard, easier top optic rail... What else does it really need to beat a Sig?

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I guess I made my decision....going to pass on an MP5. I REALLY love my MPX and I have it outfitted exactly how I want (4" barrel, tucked suppressor -SD style, telescoping stock) I just cannot justify the high cost of the MP5 clones, I am concerned about it working properly, I like LRBHO, I do not want to deal with 41F. I would love to be able to run standard pressure rounds at subsonic speeds like you can with an MP5...but for $2000, I can buy a LOT of subsonic 9mm ammo.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    This.:cool: = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ($33k on one sight)

Sadly, yes, unless you have a time machine. I decided to get my sear early last year and it was about $10k cheaper (though still it almost wiped me out savings wise, plus I liquidated some of my SBRs and non-NFA guns).

Still though, I’ve heard there might be some products on the way that might help this. A certain company in southern Indiana is working on something they claim is just as good as a sear but is ATF legal. Now, that’s all they would tell me, so we’ll have to see what they actually release, if they do.

Plus who knows, if anything good comes out of this dumpster fire of an election, maybe we’ll see the Hughes Amendment go away (I’m not holding my breath, but I guess there is a better chance with Trump than with Clinton).

Top Bottom