Get Your Orders In, UPS Likely To Go On Strike…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    Looks like I might need to update our FedEx software that hasn't been used in the last 10 years... wonder if we still even have an account with them

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Oh. That was a mess back in '97, when eCommerce was in it's bare infancy. I can't imagine the problems it'll cause this time! Hopefully FedEx and USPS are planning to massively staff up w/ temp workers, as they will get swamped.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Looks like I might need to update our FedEx software that hasn't been used in the last 10 years... wonder if we still even have an account with them
    I have been with FedEx Ground for many years and will say if you haven't done this by now I would do it ASAP. They have been getting companies doing that very thing for a month now, When it comes to customers that are only switching over for the time frame of the strike and then will most likely go back to brown, they will be a second tier. Meaning if there is not enough trucks or drivers to move/pickup/deliver freight you packages will be the ones sitting until tomorrow or longer. They are also taking the new temp customers in the order they come in. The sooner you start the higher on the priority list that you will be for getting serviced.

Oh. That was a mess back in '97, when eCommerce was in it's bare infancy. I can't imagine the problems it'll cause this time! Hopefully FedEx and USPS are planning to massively staff up w/ temp workers, as they will get swamped.
    There are not really any temp workers to be had. Not enough to make a difference anyway.

There are going to be a lot of people really upset that their parcels aren't moving as quickly as they are used to but the logistics of getting it done if this happens are nearly impossible. Fedex will bring in outside carriers to help move freight down the road but inside the building will be the problem. They have always been short staffed because no one wants to work that hard anymore. It's hard, hot, fast paced work. The package handlers get paid well and get good benefits but just can't get enough of them.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    IMG_3285.jpeg

We’ve been crazy busy this summer. No more trips but loads are fuller and heavier. I have a 8 pm gate time out of SLC and never get rolling until after 8:30 waiting on trailers to get loaded.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It'll be very interesting if UPS goes on strike.

Since Amazon's foray into the shipping business, I have wondered if they weren't uniquely positioned to manuver into shipping more than just Amazon deliveries?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Since Amazon's foray into the shipping business, I have wondered if they weren't uniquely positioned to manuver into shipping more than just Amazon deliveries?
    Seems more likely if Amazon can deliver, consumers will just order there. But at the end of the day Amazon is a logistics company first and foremost…

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

A lot of stuff they deliver isn't theirs. More companies may end up under their umbrella if the strike lingers.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Kind of like they did supplying cloud compute services... wouldn't surprise me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm getting daily notices from suppliers that it is going to be a problem. Then the backlogs.
    Got this in SGAmmo's email today.

"Due to UPS and the Teamsters union being unable to reach an agreement to avoid a strike in a timely manner, we have temporarily suspended UPS as an option in checkout and will ship exclusively with FedEx ground until a resolution is in place at UPS. At such time, we will resume offering UPS as an option in checkout, however for this coming week there would be a great risk of your package being stranded in the UPS system leading to unacceptably long delays in the delivery. If a strike does happen August 1st, Fedex will probably choose to limit the amount of packages they can accept from us so they can maintain a reasonable level of service quality. In response to that, we may impose minimum $ orders, limits or restrict availability to a handful of full case options, in attempt to maximize revenue within the limitations of what volume we are allowed to ship Fedex. The possibility also exists that we will completely stop taking orders temporarily or at select times. All of these reactions will be temporary as we attempt to navigate the situation in a way that minimizes the harm a strike would do to our business. I would recommend that if you are on the fence about making a purchase, that you do it as soon as possible so that we can ship the package and have it delivered before a strike occurs as it is likely to be a chaotic period for Fedex and commerce in general."

Top Bottom