• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    There are a million answers here, and none of them are necessarily right or wrong. It is really a personal feel and preference that can only come from trying more than one gun, which it sounds like you have.

I am also one of those guys where the Glock does not feel right in my hand, but there are thousands of shooters competition every day with the Glock, so you will be fine.

Get a good holster, belt and mag pouches, and go have some fun! You don’t know what you don’t know, and the only way to see this is to shoot a bit, then the specific questions will come.

I also agree that steel shooting is the place to start.

Best of luck to you, and welcome to the madness!!!

I hear ya. I know it's all opinion based but that's what I wanted to hear was more experienced opinions. I gotta say the Glock feels a little thin to me compared to my 1911. I'm hoping this is rectified by some grip changing.

This Glock I bought is "used" but it wasn't shot by the guy that sold it to the shop, comes with a holster, extra mags, backstraps. I felt it was a good place to start with polymer.

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    FYI. A tip for your first match.

You will need to have you pistol unloaded in a bag or case separate from your ammo. There are safe tables to holster your centerfire pistol. Ammo is not allowed at the safe table. Your pistol has to stay in the holster until you are instructed to make ready at the shooting line. Removing your pistol from case or holster at your vehicle or on the range when not on the line competing will get you DQ’d. Make sure not to get out of your vehicle with your gun already in the holster.

Just ask someone if you have questions. You will need to inform the person at registration that you are a new shooter. They will make sure someone informs you of the procedures for the specific match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    There are a million answers here, and none of them are necessarily right or wrong. It is really a personal feel and preference that can only come from trying more than one gun, which it sounds like you have.

I am also one of those guys where the Glock does not feel right in my hand, but there are thousands of shooters competition every day with the Glock, so you will be fine.

Get a good holster, belt and mag pouches, and go have some fun! You don’t know what you don’t know, and the only way to see this is to shoot a bit, then the specific questions will come.

I also agree that steel shooting is the place to start.

Best of luck to you, and welcome to the madness!!!

Thank you. I had actually read that somewhere on a "getting started in competition" article but I would have forgotten had someone not reminded me. If you run into me my name is Brandon and here's a pic. I never take selfies but I must've been feeling cocky after my last haircut couple months ago because I ran across this and noticed I took it at a "one day a week" job I keep at Gamestop in Warsaw.
    20190502_152949.jpg

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Any decent brass cased ammo (not reloads) will likely be more accurate than most shooters. I have found 124 GR more reliable and you can usually find it for the same price as 115 GR. G-34 could be a little difficult if drawing from a holster is involved, you might consider the 17 or 19 depending on what suits you better personally. All Gen 4 Glocks are shipped new with 4 backstraps and 3 mags. I think you will find Glock adjustable rear sight to be very fragile. I've found that Glocks usually shoot to point of aim with fixed sights.
    Check the rules, not all matches are cold ranges and have safe areas where you can handle your pistol. One of the matches I shoot in requires arriving with you pistol loaded (hot range), in the holster and a concealment garment.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Last edited:

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    Any decent brass cased ammo (not reloads) will likely be more accurate than most shooters. I have found 124 GR more reliable and you can usually find it for the same price as 115 GR. G-34 could be a little difficult if drawing from a holster is involved, you might consider the 17 or 19 depending on what suits you better personally. All Gen 4 Glocks are shipped new with 4 backstraps and 3 mags. I think you will find Glock adjustable rear sight to be very fragile. I've found that Glocks usually shoot to point of aim with fixed sights.
    Check the rules, not all matches are cold ranges and have safe areas where you can handle your pistol. One of the matches I shoot in requires arriving with you pistol loaded (hot range), in the holster and a concealment garment.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

It’s a good idea to always assume the match is a “Cold Range” and ask about range specifics.

Warsaw this weekend is a Steel Challenge match (Cold Range)

Was that a renegade match that required you to be hot upon arrival? I’ve never heard of that. What actions are taken if you don’t show up HOT?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    The "hot" match I'm referring to is the Concealed Carry match that Coach organized at Parabellum in Avon. I feel safer there than the "cold" matches I've participated in because no one is EVER handling a gun off the firing line. If you don't show up hot or you want to switch from carry ammo to ball for the match you are given an opportunity to load on a common line supervised by the match director prior to the match. It's also possible to change ammo on the firing line when you are called to shoot the first stage of the match. After that gun stays in the holster and it's your responsibility to keep it hot for the entire match. If the gun comes out of the holster anywhere other than on the firing line shooting a stage you are DQed and asked to leave the range for the evening. :)

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The "hot" match I'm referring to is the Concealed Carry match that Coach organized at Parabellum in Avon. I feel safer there than the "cold" matches I've participated in because no one is EVER handling a gun off the firing line. If you don't show up hot or you want to switch from carry ammo to ball for the match you are given an opportunity to load on a common line supervised by the match director prior to the match. It's also possible to change ammo on the firing line when you are called to shoot the first stage of the match. After that gun stays in the holster and it's your responsibility to keep it hot for the entire match. If the gun comes out of the holster anywhere other than on the firing line shooting a stage you are DQed and asked to leave the range for the evening. :)

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Yep. I too prefer "Big Boy" matches.
    (But I understand they are not always able to scale up)

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    Glad to hear you found a match you feel comfortable at. The awesome thing is there is variety to choose from

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    So I currently have a Colt 1911 Competition series. 45. The blues with blue grips. Bought it new, love it. However, .45 ammo is crazy expensive and I'd like to start doing some competition shooting and really hone my skills. Thus, a 9mm.

I laid away a Glock 34 Gen4 today on the advice of my local shop. It has some upgrades already such as adjustable sights, slide has been cut to reduce weight, etc. I questioned my shop about sticking with the 1911 style vs polymer gun for this endeavor and they recommended the polymer. That's fine because I am interested in having as many different types of firearms as possible anyway.

What do you guys think or suggest? Did I start in the right direction with this modified Glock or should i look i 5o something else.

To add to this equation, I am working on an extreme budget right now so my ideal goal would be starting with a good base and upgrading from there piece by piece.

I am very interested in anyone's feedback on this.

The best advice I can offer is to not over think it. Get a gun that you are comfortable with and shoot it a lot. Get comfortable behind the trigger. Lots of cheap ammo shot is better than little expensive ammo shot.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    Thanks for all the input guys. So far I truly do love the 1911. I just feel like I need to learn a bit of all of them and I'm the type that will eventually want something from every category in my safe.

I did pick up the Glock from hock. To be honest I like it. It is obviously new (and the original receipt was in the box, turns out I paid the new price but just got a free holster) and has never been shot but I am considering trading it up for another polymer. Maybe the CZ Shadow recommended earlier (I shot a local club competition last night, first time, saw a CZ in person) or an HK. I actually really like the HK but I haven't seen one in person that has adjustable sights and a 5" barrel so we'll see.

I'm gonna have to hunt around the forum in a bit to find out about this Warsaw match. I did some googling and didn't come up with much but I'm trying to figure out time/location/rules. If anyone has a link to these details please PM me. I cannot respond yet but thank you ahead of time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks for all the input guys. So far I truly do love the 1911. I just feel like I need to learn a bit of all of them and I'm the type that will eventually want something from every category in my safe.

I did pick up the Glock from hock. To be honest I like it. It is obviously new (and the original receipt was in the box, turns out I paid the new price but just got a free holster) and has never been shot but I am considering trading it up for another polymer. Maybe the CZ Shadow recommended earlier (I shot a local club competition last night, first time, saw a CZ in person) or an HK. I actually really like the HK but I haven't seen one in person that has adjustable sights and a 5" barrel so we'll see.

I'm gonna have to hunt around the forum in a bit to find out about this Warsaw match. I did some googling and didn't come up with much but I'm trying to figure out time/location/rules. If anyone has a link to these details please PM me. I cannot respond yet but thank you ahead of time.

I will echo 88 when he says to not overthink it. Get a gun and commit to it for a year or at least a season. Chasing after every flavor and not investing time in one won't get you far. Ask me how I know. If I could only roll back time, lol.

You own the G34. It's a great pistol. Shoot the crap out of it and you will advance faster in your abilities than you will if you keep trying different platforms.

There is some kind of saying to the effect of "beware the man who only owns one gun".

BTW, the CZ Shadow wouldn't be another polymer gun.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    One more thing I'll add for any new competitors. Just my opinion but in my limited experience three things you might consider spending $$$ on that will improve your potential. A reliable pistol that fits your hand, sights that you see well and acquire quickly and a good trigger. As gregkl said, changing platforms every couple of months will only cost you money. Any decent pistol is much more capable of winning a match than 99% of the shooters wielding them.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    One more thing I'll add for any new competitors. Just my opinion but in my limited experience three things you might consider spending $$$ on that will improve your potential. A reliable pistol that fits your hand, sights that you see well and acquire quickly and a good trigger. As gregkl said, changing platforms every couple of months will only cost you money. Any decent pistol is much more capable of winning a match than 99% of the shooters wielding them.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

This is unfortunately true.
    All my guns can out shoot me. :(

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    I hear ya. While I would like to have some proficiency in multiple platforms I definitely plan to stick with something for competitions for an extended period.

What's killing me is my Colt competition being a .45. I knew I wanted my first 1911 to be a 45 but had I gotten the 9mm model I think I would have my bases covered. If I had the money I just would have bought one in 45 and one in 9.

Either way, shooting the Colt at the local club competition last night was great fun but I'm probably going to have use the G34 exclusively for any competition from here on because of the cost difference between 45 and 9 and if I'm practicing with a 9mm G34 I can't very well just magically switch to a 1911 .45 just for the competitions. So, as soon as its feasible I'll grab a fresh trigger for my G34 and just put lead down range as often as possible to develop my skills further.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I hear ya. While I would like to have some proficiency in multiple platforms I definitely plan to stick with something for competitions for an extended period.

What's killing me is my Colt competition being a .45. I knew I wanted my first 1911 to be a 45 but had I gotten the 9mm model I think I would have my bases covered. If I had the money I just would have bought one in 45 and one in 9.

Either way, shooting the Colt at the local club competition last night was great fun but I'm probably going to have use the G34 exclusively for any competition from here on because of the cost difference between 45 and 9 and if I'm practicing with a 9mm G34 I can't very well just magically switch to a 1911 .45 just for the competitions. So, as soon as its feasible I'll grab a fresh trigger for my G34 and just put lead down range as often as possible to develop my skills further.

I had three 1911's in .45 before I figured out I wanted one in 9 mm. It is by far my favorite pistol. Now the only 1911 I have is the 9 mm one. I won't go back to .45.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    I had three 1911's in .45 before I figured out I wanted one in 9 mm. It is by far my favorite pistol. Now the only 1911 I have is the 9 mm one. I won't go back to .45.

I totally understand. I just know that once I get a quality 1911 in 9mm it's going to be my baby. I doubt I could get rid if my competition model (it's just too pretty) but it will definitely see very little use once I get the 1911 in 9.

I already 3D printed my own grip set (in blue/black EXACTLY like the stock laminate ones but now I can put my own stippling and design in it) and plan to put some stainless steel accent pieces on it (slide stop, ambi safety, etc.). Yes I'm guilty of trying to be Tacti-cool

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

I'm the opposite :). After shooting a Wilson EDC my first thought was "what a great pistol", second thought was "what will this do that my Glock 19 won't?" 9MM 1911 is really a smooth shooter and feels great in the hand but for more that twice the price of my 19C with a Delta point I can't see any advantage other than the cool factor. Nothing feels better in my hand than my Nighthawk Warhawk but for me a 1911 is just not correct unless it's 45 ACP.. Different strokes for different folks. :lala:

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    I'm the opposite :). After shooting a Wilson EDC my first thought was "what a great pistol", second thought was "what will this do that my Glock 19 won't?" 9MM 1911 is really a smooth shooter and feels great in the hand but for more that twice the price of my 19C with a Delta point I can't see any advantage other than the cool factor. Nothing feels better in my hand than my Nighthawk Warhawk but for me a 1911 is just not correct unless it's 45 ACP.. Different strokes for different folks. :lala:

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

See I'm kinda like that too. A 1911 is 45 ACP. It just is. However, I can definitely see myself competing with a 9mm 1911. The recoil from 9mm will be much less than 45 so I can get back on target quicker. What can it do that my G34 can't? Well my first thought is it has the best, most clean breaking trigger in the game (remember I'm pretty new so don't flame me too hard for that statement haha) but it also just seems like it fits the hand better so far for me.

Holding my G34, my hand definitely holds it, I can tell I will shoot well with it (once I upgrade the trigger) but there's something about the 1911 it's like it was made for my hand. That's definitely going to be a preference thing though. Seems like my Glock is thin side to side which feels a little awkward whereas my 1911 is a bit thinner front to back and a little fatter on the sides (with the grips) and feels very natural to hold.

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    FYI.

SCSA RulesJanuary 20195CHAPTER1–RangeRules1.1 Cold RangeThe range is cold! All firearms will be kept UNLOADED except on the firing line under the direct supervision of a Match Official. If itis possible that some competitors arriving at a range where a SCSA eventis being held may be in possession of a loaded firearm on their person (e.g. law enforcement officers, persons duly authorized to carry a loaded firearm, etc.), match organizers should provide an Unloading/Loading Station to enable such competitors to safely unload their firearms prior to entering the range, and tosafely load their firearms again on departure from the range. The Unloading/Loading Station should be conveniently located outside the entrance to the range (or outside the portion of the range allocated to the SCSA event), it should be clearly marked,and it must include a suitable impact zone.Where no Unloading/Loading station is provided, a competitor who arrives at a match in possession of a loaded firearm and proceeds immediately to a match official for the express purpose of safely unloading the firearm shall not be subject to disqualification per the provisions ofrule 8.1.211.Semi-autos must have chamber and magazine well empty.Rimfire rifles and PCC must have chamber and magazine well empty and bolt closed on a flag and becasedor secured in a cart.2.Revolvers must have all chambers/cylinders empty.3.If a competitor is thought to be in violation of the COLD RANGE rule, a Range Officerwill escort the competitor to a safety area and direct the competitor to unload and show clear. If the firearm is found to be loaded, the competitor will be disqualified from the match under the provisions of rule8.1.21.4.During the match, competitorswill refrain from handling their firearms, except when instructed by a range officeror in designated areas (staging areas for cased long guns or safety areas).1.2 Safety EquipmentEye and hearingprotection is required for all competitorsand spectators. Anyoneobserved without eye or hearingprotection will be required to leave the shooting area until such eye and hearingprotection is wornor used.1.3 Dress CodeOffensive or objectionable garments are not allowed on the range. Anyone wearing items deemed to be offensive or objectionable will be asked to leave the range facility. The Range Masterwill have final authority regarding garments deemed offensive or objectionable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom